cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pork Brisket

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
A local chain that has a meat counter has pork briskets in their sale ad this week. I've never seen one available, but I'm always ready to smoke anything pork.
Anyone have any experience? How does it compare to beef and should I buy more than one?
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde
10 REPLIES 10

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
SWMO wrote:
I'm not sure about the size Dave. They're $2.29 a lb and I thought much the same as you, but if they have a lot of fat I'm skeptical. I can get full racks cheaper than that and after I convert them to STL's I can still use the diaphragm for Chinese.

Well, the ribs are a given. I was just thinking that if you could walk out of there with a 3 - 4 lbs roast for less than $10 I'd feel compelled to do it, once.

Butts are $1.69 at a local store and ribs are $2.49 at the same store. That's why I'm thinking if it isn't at least comparable to beef brisket it might be too fatty for me.
I don't have a problem with a lot of fat, but my body has the last word.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
What size are they offered in? If it wasn't a huge investment, I think I'd do one just out of curiosity. It might make a great sliced pork sandwich.

+2
Makes a delicious sliced or shredded sandwich :).
Assuming the skin is still on some of it can be used to make chicharrones or crackling.

This isn't for everyday eating yet makes a wonderful and memorable treat.

I use this and a similar pork cut to make Latin and Chinese style roast pork.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Greydennyhawk wrote:
I used to smoke pigs but the tail keeps going out

If yer smokin' pig has a tail, yer rollin' the wrong cut- the "butt cut" is actually on the shoulder.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:
I'm not sure about the size Dave. They're $2.29 a lb and I thought much the same as you, but if they have a lot of fat I'm skeptical. I can get full racks cheaper than that and after I convert them to STL's I can still use the diaphragm for Chinese.

Well, the ribs are a given. I was just thinking that if you could walk out of there with a 3 - 4 lbs roast for less than $10 I'd feel compelled to do it, once.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
What size are they offered in? If it wasn't a huge investment, I think I'd do one just out of curiosity. It might make a great sliced pork sandwich.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Well it doesn't sound like I might want to do one. The price is consistent with a butt and not that far from a rack.
Thanks everyone.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We get one to cook and feed the dogs for once a year treat. Too much fat for us.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I used to smoke pigs but the tail keeps going out
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is basically a fatty ham. You can compare it to beef rib tips in a way. I don't think there is much of a reason to stock up unless you don't have regular access to this cut. I pay no more than about $1.79/lb at the butcher. It smokes up real nice, but is a little awkward to work with due to the strange shape. I always try to go for a better cut of meat, but if you do it right, it can come out real tasty.