cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulled pork for large group

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a recipe for pulled pork for a group of 50 - 60. Preferably in a slow cooker/crock pot.
24 REPLIES 24

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
I've used this method with other pork cuts for a smaller batch for our personal use at home. I just prefer the loins when do a big batch. I'm sure butts would work equally as well.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:
My thought is that a loin is not a butt, and never will be. The fat has a lot to do with the flavor in my opinion.

I agree, we own a BBQ vending trailer and we do a few hundred butts a year, dollar for dollar we will keep using butts.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
My thought is that a loin is not a butt, and never will be. The fat has a lot to do with the flavor in my opinion.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I can see how a pork center loin cut would render less fat but given that the price per lb. is often double that of a Boston butt or pork shoulder, I tend to use the shoulder cut thus increasing my tending time but lowering the overall actual meat cost. Plus nicely fatted meat tastes better IMHO. An hour or two in the fridge congeals the excess fat and allows you to degrease the cooked meat fast.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
SDPat wrote:
Yes, less waste and since it's leaner I don't have to deal with so much grease to try to spoon off.

That's the great thing about smoking the butts...no grease to pull off...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, less waste and since it's leaner I don't have to deal with so much grease to try to spoon off.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
SDPat wrote:
Every Christmas I have to make a meal for my employees which is usually in the 35-40 range. I have made pulled pork twice. I figure about 3/4-1 pound of meat per person and I usually buy whole pork loins. I use the electric roaster. This will sound strange but I pour either root beer, Dr. Pepper or a cola over the meat...any generic brand will work. A two liter bottle usually does the trick. Add sliced onions and garlic to taste and cook it at about 185-200 until the meat is fork tender. Shred the meat and leave enough of the remaining soda to make the meat juicy but not swimming. Then I add about 2-3 bottles of BBQ sauce...any kind that you want. I tend to favor Famous Dave's. Since Christmas time is so busy I usually make this mid-November and freeze it. I have had many requests for the recipe and people are usually very surprised as to how it was made.

Why use lean pork loins to shred instead of Bork butts? Do they shred alright, a lot less waste using lions I suppose.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
NCWriter wrote:
Sweet Baby Ray is very good when you get to the point in the recipe for adding BBQ sauce.

When I don't have the time to make my own I like to mix Sweet Baby Rays 50/50 with Stubbs Two worlds in one.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
Every Christmas I have to make a meal for my employees which is usually in the 35-40 range. I have made pulled pork twice. I figure about 3/4-1 pound of meat per person and I usually buy whole pork loins. I use the electric roaster. This will sound strange but I pour either root beer, Dr. Pepper or a cola over the meat...any generic brand will work. A two liter bottle usually does the trick. Add sliced onions and garlic to taste and cook it at about 185-200 until the meat is fork tender. Shred the meat and leave enough of the remaining soda to make the meat juicy but not swimming. Then I add about 2-3 bottles of BBQ sauce...any kind that you want. I tend to favor Famous Dave's. Since Christmas time is so busy I usually make this mid-November and freeze it. I have had many requests for the recipe and people are usually very surprised as to how it was made.

ridingfamily4
Explorer
Explorer
When we had the kiddo football team over for pool parties, pulled pork was an easy way for me to go ... I used the roaster oven, bought meat from costco. Season to your liking, cook, pour off juice, add bbq sauce.
Easy peasy.
The one who laughs last, thinks slowest! :B

2001 Minnie Winnie
2004 Enclosed trailer
2012 Artic Cat Wildcat
2013 Honda 400
2010 Honda 250
1991 Navy at A School
1995 Getting ready for college!
2001 Boxer

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet Baby Ray is very good when you get to the point in the recipe for adding BBQ sauce.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
SWMO wrote:

I agree that about 1# raw meat per adult should be about right.

Way too high if this is for sandwiches.
I'm with SWMO on this. 1 lb per person for a bone in pork cut sounds right and will yield you 2-3 sliders or 1-2 burger sized roll per lb. It's not a big deal if you've leftovers though. Just freeze em.
I also think crock-potted pork (constantly, LOL) can be frozen with ease.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:

Way too high if this is for sandwiches.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I rarely do a butt in a crockpot, but they will take them to the magic 190-200 degrees for pulling. I would suggest that rather then trying to use liquid smoke and rub you use a smoky BBQ sauce you like. Go light on it, 1/2 cup probably for 4 or 5 hours, drain and then add another 1/2 cup for the finish. After you pull it you can add more sauce if it's needed.
Set on low you can't overcook a 7 or 8# butt.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde