cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quick road food

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to do lots of daily sightseeing while on a vacation to Blacks Hills, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons.

Most likely we will not be returning to the campsite during the day and we would like to compile a list of easy to prepare cold/hot lunch meals for the road.

I'll start off the list:

Cold
  • Ham or turkey Sandwiches
  • Ham or Eggs or Tuna or Chicken salad sandwiches
  • Peanut butter or nutella and Jelly
  • Tuna, tomatoes, onion, jalapenos on crackers
  • Ham & Cheese on crackers

Hot
  • Hotdogs or brats or chili dogs
  • Quesodillas
  • Hamburgers
  • Pizza foil packets - Pita, sauce, fixing, cheese
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
32 REPLIES 32

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
We like to buy a spiral cut ham, debone it, and put it in ziplocks before a camping trip. Better than regular ham sandiches. Goes with a biscut or english muffin for breakfast. Good cold or tossed in a skillet.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Muffin meals

Portable, nutritious and filling. No refrigeration needed if you're using them for lunch. You can use your own homemade Bisquick mix recipes available online.
Here are two examples of brunch/lunch options that are made in regular muffin tins.

Bacon Cheddar Pancake Bites
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/bacon-cheddar-bisquick-pancake-bites/58ce0af3-67e7-453b-88ec-471...

Easy Broccoli Cheese & Ham Muffins
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/easy-broccoli-cheese-and-ham-muffins/2920d67b-537d-4a36-a019-9e7...
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

EgorKC
Explorer
Explorer
For on the road DW packs a small cooler with cheese slices (to taste) and Hormel Turkey Pepperoni (comes in a re-sealable bag of slices)and a box of social crackers such as wheat thins. I've thought about having her add a jar of pickle slices but haven't gotten around to it. The turkey pepperoni has a great flavor yet is not greasy. That and a 2" square of your favorite cheese on a cracker makes a great filling snack on the road.

Greg
You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 3 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat:)
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
We always took a small cooler in the car with a sandwiches etc. like listed here. We also took cut vegetables and our favorite fruits. DH likes beef sticks and cheese also.

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
rolling_rhoda wrote:
a chopped salad kit from the produce aisle + a handful of the above- mentioned rotisserie chicken

It's easy to keep hotdogs hot in a thermos of hot water. Just bring buns and little packets of ketchup/mustard. A thermos also works well for Italian beef.

To keep a bottle of wine cold. Wrap in a layer of aluminum foil, then roll it up in a few layers of newspaper. It will stay cold for three hours if your car isn't hot.

That's good to know about cold wine storage! I'll keep this tip in mind when next I forget my neoprene bottle sleeve:).

I like both these tips! Thanks for sharing
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
for daily sightseeing trips that last several hours, we always take a small ice chest with water, soda pop and sandwiches..usually cheese and bologna or ham. A large bag with chips, cookies, hard candy and a doggie treat for our hairy pal.
A roll of paper towels and some wet wipes.
Sometimes, if we're passing right by one on our way, we'll get a couple subway sans to take in the ice chest.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes before a trip I double up on recipes that freeze well and then load them into the freezer. Take them out in the morning and have a delicious hot meal in the evening.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
the cold wine for roadside lunch is cracking me up.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
rolling_rhoda wrote:
a chopped salad kit from the produce aisle + a handful of the above- mentioned rotisserie chicken

It's easy to keep hotdogs hot in a thermos of hot water. Just bring buns and little packets of ketchup/mustard. A thermos also works well for Italian beef.

To keep a bottle of wine cold. Wrap in a layer of aluminum foil, then roll it up in a few layers of newspaper. It will stay cold for three hours if your car isn't hot.

That's good to know about cold wine storage! I'll keep this tip in mind when next I forget my neoprene bottle sleeve:).

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Mjoseph320 wrote:
RandACampin wrote:
Make boil in bag meals before going and keep them in the freezer. Make spaghetti, beanie weenie, chicken marsala, chicken and rice, etc. Place into vacuum bags thaw and then either microwave or boil for quick home cooked dinner.

This is what I do also. I don't necessarily make special meals but when I'm cooking I make extra, seal up in my vacuum sealer in portions for two people, and then boil them in the bag. They come out like fresh made.

I've done meatloaf, spaghetti and meat sauce, mashed potatoes, fried noodles, chicken curry, rice, Mac-n-cheese, seasoned and buttered veggies, chicken Marsala, Salisbury steak, chili, pierogi, stew, soups, rice/meatball/tomato Polish thing, lasagne (that was messy after boiling but still tasty) and chicken and dumplings.

The only thing is lack of freezer space in the RV...could use more with all the frozen stuff but I'll look through my freezer at home before we go and pick enough for one a day plus a couple extra, and it usually all fits.

Another good idea. Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I'm interested too.

For the lunches en route, since we can access our kitchen cupboards and fridge, we make sandwiches at rest stops. On our previous RV, we couldn't, so I would pack a small cooler with sandwiches, and would have dried fruit and nuts and beef jerky to eat en route.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Couple of Costco Rotisserie chickens picked apart before you leave -- you'll eat for a week for 10 bucks!

Good idea! I'll have to remember this one.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
RandACampin wrote:
Make boil in bag meals before going and keep them in the freezer. Make spaghetti, beanie weenie, chicken marsala, chicken and rice, etc. Place into vacuum bags thaw and then either microwave or boil for quick home cooked dinner.

This is what I do also. I don't necessarily make special meals but when I'm cooking I make extra, seal up in my vacuum sealer in portions for two people, and then boil them in the bag. They come out like fresh made.

I've done meatloaf, spaghetti and meat sauce, mashed potatoes, fried noodles, chicken curry, rice, Mac-n-cheese, seasoned and buttered veggies, chicken Marsala, Salisbury steak, chili, pierogi, stew, soups, rice/meatball/tomato Polish thing, lasagne (that was messy after boiling but still tasty) and chicken and dumplings.

The only thing is lack of freezer space in the RV...could use more with all the frozen stuff but I'll look through my freezer at home before we go and pick enough for one a day plus a couple extra, and it usually all fits.
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I might pack a lunch once in a while if we're out in the boonies or fishing, but the majority of the time if it's a long day we go out and have a late lunch. That covers lunch and dinner, LOL. I don't feel like cooking dinner after a long day. If we're hungry I'll open up a can a soup and perhaps make a sandwich or have cheese and crackers with the soup.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier