cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Oven

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
I have made a New Year's resolution to learn to use the oven in our 5'er. I have used an RV oven once and my biscuits burned on the bottom. My toaster oven gets used a lot but I would like to free up that counter space.

There seem to be a few different solutions:

1. Stoneware or tiles over the burner to dissipate the heat. I worry about this because people have reported the stoneware breaking.

2. Using an airbake pan. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be placed over the burner like the stoneware.

3. Putting foil on the bottom rack, setting that right above the burner and then using the top rack for baking. I only have one rack so this won't work.

I would like to know how everyone else successfully bakes in their oven and how to broil items. We love cheese bread and garlic bread so this is a must.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax
33 REPLIES 33

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
In the size TT I prefer I haven't seen an oven worth the space. My requirements are that a 13 lb turkey fits within.

As such I'm having a convection nuker and induction burner installed instead.

Just a something to think about in an outside the box moment:).

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, my wife tried using the RV oven in the TT. Couldn't get the hang of it and lost interest. This past easter, she gave it another go with a ham and some rolls. Took the recommendation of a pizza stone and it worked great. I think it gave her more courage to use it more in the future.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
and use the right color pan for what you are cooking.

What does the right color pan have to do with it???
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
Lol...I have to use ALL the above suggestions. I turn the temp 25 deg below what recipe calls for, I have a pizza stone (broken) on the burner shelf, AND I use a cookie sheet below the dish. Finally can bake without burning.

Now can anyone tell me why they don't have this age old problem fixed (no microwave/convection is not the answer) and why don't the build them with the electronic starter like the burners??? Come on, they can put a man on the moon........
I put in a BBQ electronic lighter for the oven and top burners instead of the mechanical spark generator furnished. No more kneeling, matches or "Where's the propane lighter?" DW loves it.

I think most of the burning issues (no pun intended) are due to oven calibration issues. Turn it down or use an oven thermometer.

X2 on installing a BBQ Electronic Spark Generator. I installed one in my Attwood that never had any and could not be happier. It is a cheap and easy modification to do. There is a thread on doing this in the Mods forums section.

Foy_R__Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an air bake cookie sheet and put it in the bottom of the oven. I was told by other RV campers that this is what they did! It works almost as good as the oven at home! Preheat your oven and we use it a lot, now! Buy you a cheap timer to time your baking! I bake cakes, biscuits etc. all the time, now! We learned the hard way, to!
33' Tahoe 5th wheel toy hauler.
1999 Dodge RAM 3500 with 5.9 Cummins, auto , dual wheels

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Pizza stone on top of the burner diffuser so it sits below the wire pan rack. I also use a small thermometer in there for temp - my over in UNDER temp and takes a looooong time to heat up. Pizza stone has never let me down - baked biscuits and such come out great! Good luck

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
We use an airbake cookie sheet. Everything we bake sits right on top of it. Been using this method for many years - perfect results every time.

Our experience as well.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe - I have a middle of the road toaster oven that works fine for what we do but I want some counter real estate back. I already have an ice maker taking up a lot of space and I'm not willing to give it up. If I can learn to use the RV oven, then the toaster oven can go away. 😉

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Cuisinart that runs on electric. Not a problem as I stay in FHU parks. It has settings for bake, broil, warm, toast and bagel. I use the oven to store the Cuisinart when I'm moving.
This, after trying to bake a frozen pizza that came out with the bottom burned black down the center and still frozen away from the flame. The one I have is the "Custom Classic Toaster Oven Broiler". Life's too short to eat lousy food.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember the old propane fired trailer oven saying:

If it's burning it's cooking and when it's black it's done.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no cook but since I am a full timer and expected to use the oven on a regular basis, I checked the temp against an oven thermometer. It was WAY off. So my suggestion is to check yours before doing anything. That may be the only problem you have.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fully pre-heated oven provides less chance for burning.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Kittykath wrote:
Can remember the brand, but the size was the same in our previous 2 campers. I measured the oven to be 14"W x 15"D. Not very big at all.

Thank you!

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can remember the brand, but the size was the same in our previous 2 campers. I measured the oven to be 14"W x 15"D. Not very big at all.