cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texas Smoked Brisket

WaltersFamily
Explorer III
Explorer III

It didn't take long for us to pick up a pellet smoker to add to our outdoor RV kitchen.  The pellet smoker took a little getting used to, coming from an offset smoker of 25 years but, getting the hang of it.  Using a Traeger Pro 34 since we wanted to have additional room.  If you are interested in the rub, we are more than happy to share, just send a message.

• 225 degrees - using Hickory PelletsPicture - Brisket.jpg
  • At 145 degrees (internal Temp) - wrapped in foil
  • At 205 degrees (internal temp) - pull from smoker
  • Rest the brisket in the foil until internal temp hits 170
  • Slice against the grain of the brisket
  • Figure an hour a pound for smoking at 225 degrees

2 REPLIES 2

GAZiggy
Explorer II
Explorer II

Cook in foil till 145 degrees, and then when the meat gets to 205 degrees remove it, or the bbq is set to 205 degrees? 

Sorry, I didn't think meat would get so hot. 

I have a asmoke pellet stove with a temp probe and love it. While cooking a steak, once it clears 135 degrees, I take it off. Perfect every time.  I have been tempted to try a brisket as I enjoy brisket at BBQ joints. 

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390 FL Class A Cummins
2015 Chevy Equinox Toad

• I run the pellet smoker at 225 the entire time.
  • Once the internal temperature of the brisket reaches 145, then I wrap it in foil.
  • When the internal temperature hits 205, I take it off the smoker.
  • Crack the foil and let the brisket rest until the internal temperature drops to around 170, then slice it.

I start out with usually a 10-12 pound brisket, trim off the excess fat on the cap and slab and yield around 8 pounds.  However, the overall smoking time is based off of original package weight so, the brisket will usually go for 10-12 hours overall.

Note, I also use a remote digital thermometer so, I can keep an eye on the temperature at all times.