cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The best Steak I Ever Had

wca01
Explorer
Explorer
This particular steak was a 1-1/2โ€ thick rib eye steak. It was cut into two pieces of 6 oz. for my wife and 10 oz. for me. The size isn't that important โ€“ the procedure is.

This cooking session was done in a Sharp convection/microwave oven and an induction cook top. Your results may differ with different tools.

I used the method generally referred to as โ€œReverse Sear.โ€ The general idea is to start the steak in the oven and finish on the cooktop.

All convection ovens are not created equal and the Sharp convection oven provides some special benefits that may not be available in other units. More about those special properties and this steak a little later.

Get the best cut of beef you like and can afford, but make sure it is thick โ€“ not less than 1-1/4โ€ and up to 2โ€ thick.

Season the steak as desired with salt and pepper a few hours before you start to cook the steak.

1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.

2. Place the steak on the low wire rack and place in the oven.

3. Cook the steak in the oven until the internal temperature is 125F.

Read the internal temperature of the steak to determine when this temperature has been reached. It is important to not exceed this initial temperature. I use and recommend a Thermopen Instant Thermometer.

Since the Sharp convection oven rotates the food in the convection oven, it will cook faster than in a non-rotating rack oven. Test the temperature often because it will increase temperature faster than you expect.

4. After the steak has reached 125 F (maybe 35 minutes), remove it from the oven and let it rest, covered for 15 minutes.

5. If you are cooking baked potatoes in the oven, this resting time will be enough to cook the baked potatoes in the Sharp.

6. While the steak is resting, heat a sauce pan with peanut oil to a high temperature โ€“ just a little less than 400 F.

7. Sear the steak in the sauce pan for about 1 minute on both sides, or until seared to your desire.

8. Add a large pad of butter and serve. It has already rested enough.

One of the special benefits of this procedure is how easy it is to satisfy the desires of those who donโ€™t want their steak medium rare. For additional doneness, just increase the time in the sauce pan to accommodate their desires.

You may be surprised to learn that this procedure produces even cooking from top to bottom. If you cook it medium rare, it will be medium rare from top to bottom. The juices will stay in the steak and not spill all over the plate.

My wife, who canโ€™t stand โ€œbloodโ€ spilling from the steak, said that the steak looked rare, but tasted just right โ€“ she is now a fan โ€“ so am I.

Of course, you could try to duplicate this on a charcoal or gas grill, but unless you are an expert, it will be tough going.

Good Luck!
Wil
12 REPLIES 12

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
wca01 wrote:
Thank you! But is there any way to get rid of this offender? He makes staying active on this forum subject to question. He is really offense without any redeeming qualities.

Wil

The Mod cleaned up the thread for you and now you junked it up again. :S

Why not continue to use the feature in contacting a Mod for any issues instead of here in the Forums?

Maybe it's time to just close this thread as it is only going south.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
If ya' let chumps like that stop you from doing what you enjoy your giving them what they want!!

Red Green:
Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're
all in this together
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

wca01
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! But is there any way to get rid of this offender? He makes staying active on this forum subject to question. He is really offense without any redeeming qualities.

Wil

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
Thread cleaned up. Yes, the "Notify Moderator" feature works.

For the record, I cook my steaks in the same manner. ๐Ÿ™‚

Carry on.. without the insults, please.

Shavano

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding as far as a steak being evenly cooked through it should be cooked at "room temperature". How's 'bout this,,, I found a really cool steak "hack" on the net, cover the steak both front and back with coarse sea salt and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour per inch ( a steak at 1-1/2" would be an hour and a half, a 2" steak would need two hours and so-on) rinse the salt off and grill that baby, you can take the crappiest steak using this method it'll come out remarkably tender so imagine what it'll do to a good steak??

Red Green:
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word
meaning "I don't hunt so good."
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

wca01
Explorer
Explorer
The objective of this method is to produce a finished steak with the same degree of doneness completely through all of the steak. Take note that the oven temperature is set to only 275 F and the convection currents in the oven keep the entire steak subject to that temperature.

Any direct method of cooking (pan or grille) cooks the center of the steak by conduction. One side of the steak is heated and that heat is transmitted toward the middle part of the steak by conduction. The edge of the steak must cook more than the middle because of this method of heat transfer. The higher the temperature of the source heat, the greater the difference the temperature of the meat will be from edge to center.

This method reduces the temperature difference between meat and heat source, and that is the main reason that all the meat is cooked to the same degree. The second important reason for success of this method is that the convection currents keep all of the meat surfaces at the same temperature.

You can obtain these results in a non-convection oven, but it will be more difficult. A convection oven like those found in a convection/microwave is best of all because of the rotating turntable.

This method and the sous-vide method have the advantage of low cooking temperature in common. This method most likely wonโ€™t require any equipment you donโ€™t already have in a RV.

This method provides very easy clean up. The steak loses very little juice in the oven โ€“ not even a teaspoon full and so clean up of the oven is just wiping the turntable and rinsing the rack.

I use a heavy non-stick pan to sear the steak, and the steak only sears for about two minutes so that cleanup is a snap.

This method has been a great discovery for me. You just might want to try it before you discard it.

Good Luck!
Wil

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been cooking my steaks and chops using the sous vide method for a year or so now. Totally awesome. Season your meat, Vacuum seal the meat and set the water temp to 125 or whatever your preference is. Leave it in an hour or two. Three for a tough cut like Top Sirloin which comes out fork tender.

Every molecule is at the perfect temp. They need a sear when they come out. I have been getting a cast iron skillet 500 degrees or so then sear each side for a minute in butter and EVOO.

I got a pro model Butane torch for Christmas so will experiment with that.

Yesterday I did two 2" thick pork chops for 3 hours at 145 that were so tender and juicy.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Sounds like WAY too much time and effort just to cook a steak...

Ah ... but the anticipation is marvelous waiting for that first bite!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Sounds ok, but I've never understood butter on a steak.

That's the only way I fix steaks. If cooking in a pan, the juices begin to flow from the meat, it mixes with the butter. Keep pouring these juices over the top of the meat. The butter or margarine has just enough salt it in, you don't have to add any more, and the butter has just enough flavor, it pulls out the flavor of the meet,and you do not need any other kind of seasonings. The meat "tastes" for itself. It finishes juicy, evenly cooked, and very good tasting.

At home we do the oven - skillet, or skillet - oven combinations quite a bit. When camping we use a flat griddle and I capture the juices in the drip pan and keep pouring it on top of the meat.

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
I cook a 5lb Prime rib roast in my Nuwave oven for Christmas dinner and it was better than restaurant quality. Had to many great steaks over the years. Just watching that roast getting waved had my mouth watering! Very easy too.
lol
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like WAY too much time and effort just to cook a steak.

Season on both sides and slap it on a BBQ grill and go! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds ok, but I've never understood butter on a steak.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT