cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Scoville Scale

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I am very fortunate in that I get to eat gourmet Mexican food every single day. I also like chili a lot.

There are probably millions upon millions of people that like hotter food than I, but I eat more chili and hotter chili than anyone I know personally.

For those who wonder just how hot any chili pepper can be, refer to the Scoville Scale. One of these lists is available here:

Scoville
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
14 REPLIES 14

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
I want to start making my own chipotle from the jalapenos that I grow. I have a cheap red smoker (around 225*). Anyone ever do this?

Here is a good place to start: Smoking Chilies

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I love the flavors of hot peppers. Unfortunately or fortunately you can't get one without the other. scraping out the seeds and white veins will get some of the hot. There is list a mile long of all the different peppers.
Growing hot peppers and Bel peppers near each other will boost the heat and flavors of Bell peppers. I don't know enough about pollination and crossing peppers to discuss it.
Dad grew some little red pepper similar to Jalepenos that had a great flavor but were hot. don't know their name.
I remember the first and some other times picking baskets of them and weaving the stems and hanging them. touched my eyes even after washing and some, of my favorite parts and burned for days. Can't wash the stuff out of your skin.
I would love to have some chili without the bitter spices and weird spices originally used to keep bugs off, and lots of beef and those flavorful and hot, but not too hot peppers again.

Should you want different types of peppers w/o touching fresh seeds you can buy dried whole peppers from many reputable spice shops.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love the flavors of hot peppers. Unfortunately or fortunately you can't get one without the other. scraping out the seeds and white veins will get some of the hot. There is list a mile long of all the different peppers.
Growing hot peppers and Bel peppers near each other will boost the heat and flavors of Bell peppers. I don't know enough about pollination and crossing peppers to discuss it.
Dad grew some little red pepper similar to Jalepenos that had a great flavor but were hot. don't know their name.
I remember the first and some other times picking baskets of them and weaving the stems and hanging them. touched my eyes even after washing and some, of my favorite parts and burned for days. Can't wash the stuff out of your skin.
I would love to have some chili without the bitter spices and weird spices originally used to keep bugs off, and lots of beef and those flavorful and hot, but not too hot peppers again.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
WE grow Jalapeno and Serrano peppers........let them go red on the vine.

Just planted new ones today. Should have new crop around 20th of July then it's peppers, peppers, peppers-----raw, roasted, stuffed, pickled, fresh salsa

Yummmmmmmmmmmm

Double ditto that; especially the 'penos stuffed with cheese!

Wishbone51 wrote:
I want to start making my own chipotle from the jalapenos that I grow. I have a cheap red smoker (around 225*). Anyone ever do this?

This is a great Super Dave question. He's a King Smoker.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
jwduke wrote:
Hatch Chilies... yum!

The best tasting peppers in the world and the best place to get them is in Hatch,NM

jwduke
Explorer
Explorer
Hatch Chilies... yum!
'04 Dodge 2500 QC 4x4 w/CTD
'03 Hitchhiker II 31RLBG

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I grow serranos and habaneros in my back yard.

For great taste, though, I really like NM chilis. I get them from Hatch, NM. Green and Red are different tastes, red a bit more picante. I roast them on the BBQ, peel and put about 6 per ziplock bag in the freezer.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Just planted new ones today. Should have new crop around 20th of July then it's peppers, peppers, peppers-----raw, roasted, stuffed, pickled, fresh salsa Yummmmmmmmmmmm

X2
I grew these bad boys along side my MH first trip south as a Snowbird in Florida!

In Wisconsin Cayenne peppers only get 3-4 inches long. These were almost 12 inches long!

They sure do like growing in Florida better! :C

I hang them out to dry and then crush them and put in a shaker to season food. Tastes MUCH better than the ones in the grocery store.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Once on a business trip to Texas and another time on a business trip to Malaysia, I was asked if I like hot food. I said yes. They give each other knowing glances and take me out for lunch. Each time, I out 'hot-ate' the locals :B
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Just planted new ones today. Should have new crop around 20th of July then it's peppers, peppers, peppers-----raw, roasted, stuffed, pickled, fresh salsa

Yummmmmmmmmmmm
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Love hot food. I've had the ghost pepper....it was a challenge!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Never been one to eat hot food for the sake of eating hot food. I am good up to about 2500SU and it all seems silly after that.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Growing up, there was a jar of pickled peppers in our kitchen that children were forbidden to open. It was kept right next to the maraschino cherries that we were also not allowed to eat. Course we opened both when no one was home. The mere smell of the peppers cleared my sinuses, made my eyes water and caused hallucinations.

As a pre-teen I visited family in Canada and finally learned the name of the peppers in the jar: scotch bonnet. A similar aged cousin delighted in introducing me to "real Caribbean food" by wandering into their garden, picking the peppers, shoving them in his mouth and inviting me to do the same. I can still recall the pain and wonder to this day why no one told me he practiced sleight of hand for fun. He also got me to drink an ice beaded glass of mauby concentrate. Apparently I was particularly stupid that summer.

Oh and if you've never tried mauby DON'T believe the fairy tale that it's "slightly bitter".....

On the bright side when Hunan cuisine became popular in NYC I amazed my non-island friends by eating the peppers whole whilst they gasped for soda. The soda grabbing was a bad idea but they learned eventually.

Thanks for the Scoville link; made me laugh;).