cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ad Blocker

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running Windows 10, Chrome Browser, AdBlock+ and use MSN as my home page. For the last week or two I have been getting a message that says the page is having difficulty working with my Ad Blocker. Is this just a ploy to get me to de-activate my ad blocker or do I need to find a new ad blocker? Any suggestions for a good ad blocker?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand
13 REPLIES 13

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
I understand that ads pay the bills, but I often wonder how effective are those ads? When's the last time any of us bought something because we saw an internet ad? I haven't that I can remember.

Same here, but someone is responding. Just like the junk snail
mail that fills our mailboxes. If all those offers for credit cards and extended warranties didn't pay off, they'd find another way.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
delwhjr wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
Adblock plus is now in bed with the advertisers(bought off). The best one out there is Ublock Origin.

If your talking about the Acceptable Ads Initiative, Ublock subscribes to it also.
This movement was created to hopefully prevent an all out restriction on sites if you use ad blockers. As has been noted previously on this thread, many sites will now prevent use of the site if you have an active ad blocker. The ads, whether you like it or not, is what keeps most of the web free and open. The initiative is a list of rules and guidelines about ads which is supposed to control the abusive practices that gave rise to the need for blockers. As with any voluntary program it doesn't always work the way we like.
It is a fact that ads are here to stay unless the web goes to pay for play everywhere. Which will be worse?

Advertisers pay when ads are viewed and/or clicked on, and they know how many times their ads are served, and they know when an ad blocker prevents it. If their ads are not seen or clicked, they don't pay.

I don't get how anyone thought wholesale ad blocking was going to continue being allowed, given that advertising pays for the content, the servers, and the bandwidth, among other things.

I understand that ads pay the bills, but I often wonder how effective are those ads? When's the last time any of us bought something because we saw an internet ad? I haven't that I can remember. I have also heard of companies slashing their advertising budget because it's just not effective. I'm more apt to buy from word of mouth from guys like you, or not buy from word of mouth. If someone has a good product, it sells itself in a lot of ways. On a related note, Google was in the process of employing code to detect and defeat ad blockers on Chrome, but they backed out of it, cause you can block everything you want on Firefox. Google doesn't want to lose any market share.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
What I find extremely annoying is that I subscribe to several sites and they STILL bury me in pop-ups and videos if I don't run my adblocker on that site. I thought that the subscription money, which goes up every year, was supposed to support the site so that the ads were not needed.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
Adblock plus is now in bed with the advertisers(bought off). The best one out there is Ublock Origin.

If your talking about the Acceptable Ads Initiative, Ublock subscribes to it also.
This movement was created to hopefully prevent an all out restriction on sites if you use ad blockers. As has been noted previously on this thread, many sites will now prevent use of the site if you have an active ad blocker. The ads, whether you like it or not, is what keeps most of the web free and open. The initiative is a list of rules and guidelines about ads which is supposed to control the abusive practices that gave rise to the need for blockers. As with any voluntary program it doesn't always work the way we like.
It is a fact that ads are here to stay unless the web goes to pay for play everywhere. Which will be worse?

Advertisers pay when ads are viewed and/or clicked on, and they know how many times their ads are served, and they know when an ad blocker prevents it. If their ads are not seen or clicked, they don't pay.

I don't get how anyone thought wholesale ad blocking was going to continue being allowed, given that advertising pays for the content, the servers, and the bandwidth, among other things.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:

2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Many (but not all) sites have abandoned the flashing pop up windows and auto-start videos that drove so many people to use ad blockers in the first place. Most also compress the ads so they don't hog all your bandwidth.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
AsheGuy wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Thanks delwhjr. That was my suspicion. I haven't noticed any problems with the way things work.
I use AdBlock+ also and you are lucky because an increasing number of websites are now blocking your view of the page if you do not agree to disable your ad blocker for that site. So it's up to the user to decide if the site content is worth putting up with ads. If the site offers a digital subscription, that is the alternative to ads for sites you want to have access to.

X2^^. CNN.com and NBCNews.com both recently added ad-blocker detectors to their sites. I can kinda see their side of it. If they can generate revenue - from either ads or subscriptions - they can't continue to operate the business. Your choice.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Adblock+ has the ability to disable many of those page blocks using the block element feature. You manually select the element you want to block and add it to the list of things they block. Unfortunately, some sites will freeze if you do it.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
Adblock+ is one of the best. The message is a ploy on many sites to get people to turn off ad blockers so they can make money from the ad push.
There is no free lunch, somebody has to pay and it's up to you to decide if what they offer is worth paying for through ads.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Thanks delwhjr. That was my suspicion. I haven't noticed any problems with the way things work.
I use AdBlock+ also and you are lucky because an increasing number of websites are now blocking your view of the page if you do not agree to disable your ad blocker for that site. So it's up to the user to decide if the site content is worth putting up with ads. If the site offers a digital subscription, that is the alternative to ads for sites you want to have access to.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Adblock+ is one of the best. The message is a ploy on many sites to get people to turn off ad blockers so they can make money from the ad push.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI