cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adobe Flash Player

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I am still running Windows XP Pro on my Dell D610 laptop. I use Mozilla Firefox. Lately when I want to play a Youtube video, for example, it tells me that I should update to a safer version. When I try it says it failed to complete the update. Does anyone know what the problem might be? I get a prompt at the top of the screen stating that Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin form running. It asks if I want to allow or continue blocking. If I allow it works. Any suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer
Google Chrome has some version or variation of it built into the browser.

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
Is there anything besides Adobe Flash Player that can be used? I was on a couple of sites this AM that required Flash player to view. I tried to download Adobe and was unable to do so. Any ideas?

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer
Remove Java until you are on some site that complains that it needs it. You could install it then if you really need it. Most sites don't need it anymore. And Java is just as bad as Flash for security reasons. It could have unknown holes and vulnerabilities in it right now that just haven't been found yet. And even when they are; more could be found in the future. Java/Flash are antiquated software left over from the 1990's and are on their way out.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
There has been what is known as a new (zero-day) exploit that attacks Adobe Flash Player. Distributed through the Angler Exploit Kit, the zero-day delivers malware that takes control of your computer to commit click fraud.

The Adobe update will not update older OS like XP.
Tat is why you are getting the messages but no update.

There is a free utility that will protect XP.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/?utm_source=engaged&utm_medium=email-internal-b2c&utm_campaign=EM-january2015newsletter&utm_content=mbae

That will take care of part of the problem.

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I uninstalled Firefox, AVG, Adobe Flash Player and Yahoo Toolbar. I installed Panda anti virus and Firefox. Everything seems to be working so far. Now I am wondering if I should also get rid of Java. What do you think? Thanks for all the previous suggestions.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a similar problem with the last version of ADOBE FLASH. The newest one that recently came out did ok upgrading on my WIN 7 machine.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Explorer
Explorer
Uninstall Adobe Flash, then go to this link and download Flash and do a clean install and see what happens.

https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Dunno about Windows XP, but I suspect older versions of Windows are having the same problems with the Adobe updates that older versions of the Mac OS are having, in that the default updater doesn't work.

You do need to update to the very latest version of Flash (which is probably where the update needs to be applied) because there are a number of very deadly attacks being exploited in the wild. To achieve that update, you might have to do some digging around on the Adobe web site. On my Mac, I discovered that if you follow the trail of links from the failed update to trouble shooting on the Adobe site, eventually you get to alternate ways to update, one of which will eventually work. I know, pain in the keister, but from what I hear, you need to get it to work somehow lest you find your entire computer and all the data on it compromised beyond usefulness. The bad guys are evidently having a field day.

Oh, yeah, and rumor has it that the malware has so far only been found in the wild for Windows. But of course, it's coming for Macs, too. EVERYBODY needs to attend to this one.

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer