cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Amazon to close down Kindle lending library January 2021

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although this story has no impact on me there may be a few who find this information useful. I am not assuming anyone even uses this. Regards Bill

https://goodereader.com/blog/kindle/kindle-lending-library-to-close-on-january-4th-2021
21 REPLIES 21

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Also a fan of library books. Even though we are in Florida, we 'checkout' books from our library back home. Two reading options, one being the Kindle version.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

MrWizard
Baen Books has a free selection for download across many genres

And anybody that has not read from the "Ring Of Fire" series or the "Grandville Gazette"

Is missing some good intelligent writing, sometimes funny , sometimes pongint, always thought provoking

And thank yous to those posting new sources of material
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's an agreement with the "publishing" company, and Overdrive. The companies have a limit on the number of digital copies that can be distributed by the library.

Actually it's not an agreement, it's a stipulation by the company. The libraries either go along with it or do without the title.

And unless you have an old style Kindle or other limited connection reader, the book will be deleted from your reader automatically at the end of the loan period.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can someone splain how come a library only has so many ebooks available per title, some more than others? If they did that to movies it would be a hellofa mess.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
You can get free Kindle books, for up to 21 day loan periods, through any public library. Bigger libraries generally have faster access to titles that are wait-listed.
Since the delivery of public library books is done via Amazon I wonder if they will be impacted.

Dave

No. It's a totally different program.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to say thanks for the suggestions on where else to find free books.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
You can get free Kindle books, for up to 21 day loan periods, through any public library. Bigger libraries generally have faster access to titles that are wait-listed.
Since the delivery of public library books is done via Amazon I wonder if they will be impacted.

Dave

No reason they should be. It's an entirely different program...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a link for many free books directly from the Kindle Store:

Amazon Free Kindle eBooks
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
bdpreece wrote:
That sucks. I bought my wife a kindle for Christmas.

There is no shortage of free/inexpensive reading material, even without this program.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
pbeverly wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:

Just discovered this this year. One of services our library uses takes you to Amazon and you get the Kindle version. Our library also does music and movie borrowing.

Nice thing is, you never run out of something to read if you have internet access. If you are going without it for a few days, you can download several books at a time to stock up!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You also might check out The Fussy Librarian. Mostly free books, lots of self published, some well known authors, mostly free.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
Look up bookbub, I get an email every Friday with cheap and even free books featured, based on the categories for which I indicated interest. My kindle got full this month and I had to delete some (they're still on the kindle cloud storage though) to make room for a couple new ones. Bookbub costs me nothing.

https://landing.bookbub.com/light_covers?source=ba_us_bookbub_exact&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&u...
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad