cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

antenna TV question total newbie

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for your help. We are in a rustic CG in Tamworth, NH for the summer, no cable TV. We only have our new Winegard batwing for antenna TV and we ONLY get one channel (ABC network). WE have tried moving the antenna, nothing more. We would love to watch NBC (for the Olympics) in August.

We understand just enough to be dangerous about TV reception and antennas and are definitely not tech savvy, so any advice would be appreciated. I went onto local Craigslist and typed in satellite tv and found one result advertising this: Trackvision R6 In Motion Satellite Dome $395 within a few miles of us. We don't want to spend $500 on a satellite dish on TV for 3 months as we will not be in the camper this winter.

Does anyone have Direct TV only for 3 or 4 months and how does it work? either that, or beg our neighbor to watch their TV or go to the local pub which would entail many calories I need to avoid! haha!

Yes, we are not tech savvy at all and need much advice so thank you all again!
29 REPLIES 29

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the TV Fool report for Tamworth.

Tamworth Report

I usually cannot pick up stations with a NM (5th column from the left in the report) below 0 with my batwing with wingman. It may be that the OP can pick up more stations depending on his specific location (coordinates give a more accurate result). The OP mentions ABC and "moderate" for NBC. OP are you getting any other stations than these two and is NBC consistent?
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'll stick with antennapoint.com.
The OP already posted that he now has more channels.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

Lorne_Lorraine
Explorer
Explorer
For Tamworth, NH TV Fool shows that ABC 8.1 is the only TV station you can normally expect to get with the batwing antenna. The signals from all the other stations are too weak at this location.
Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
After you rotate your antenna are you rescanning channels?

yes, I even turned it off and on and prayed. THank you!

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
Gene&Ginny wrote:
Johno02 wrote:
I am not familiar with the area, but AntennaPoint shows NO tv stations within 100 miles of Tamworth, NH in any direction. Sorry.

I got this:
Search Results: Found 10 transmitters within 60 miles of 03886
http://antennapoint.com/antennas/show?id=03886&commit=Search

Thanks for this info. We do get ABC whoopee!

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
dmck413 wrote:
try antenna pointer to find stations and directions in your area

Yes, we are in a valley with lots of trees and Ossipee MT right next to us! So we suspect that we may need a satellite dish to get anything but ABC.

Well, we tried this and it shows moderate for NBC, so we will check out turning the antenna some more and check back in.

Thanks again, to all you helpful members!

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed, add the sensor pro, and you can quit wondering !
If it don't show a signal, there ain't any, period.
And if it shows a signal, you can bet there is one.
And if it shows a signal in more than one direction, you just scan them out.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Adding the SensarPro to our Winegard Sensar with the Wingman attachment helped a lot with boosting and fine tuning the antenna pointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctj8AjLDdBg

Since the station you get and the channel you want are so close to each other and the station you want shows a stronger broadcast signal, it looks hopeful.

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
The Winegard Sensar with the Wingman attachment is a great antenna. That being said, even a great antenna will not get you a signal if you are in a mountainous area and your campsite is in a valley. When the DW and I were looking for our new home in Tennessee, we rented a site on a monthly basis at a campsite 25 miles from Chattanooga. Most of their transmitters are on Signal Mountain, a Chattanooga suburb that was even closer to our campsite. It made no difference, as we got ZERO over the air signals, as the signals were over our heads. We couldn't even get a cellular signal, no bars. The only way to get television in that area was satellite and cable. If you are in the valley, you probably will not get any usable signal on your Sensar with Wingman.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
I am not familiar with the area, but AntennaPoint shows NO tv stations within 100 miles of Tamworth, NH in any direction. Sorry.

I got this:
Search Results: Found 10 transmitters within 60 miles of 03886
http://antennapoint.com/antennas/show?id=03886&commit=Search
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Ask some of those around you if they get any OTA signals. They probably know a lot more than any of us, unless one of us is parked next door to wherever you are. If they get any, you should also. if not, forget about it, you won't either. Free OTA TV depends on how many people can receive it to see the commercials. If its not a highly populated area, there migh not be any OTA available. There is a lot more space with no TV than there is with.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
...A full 90* swing does NOT bring in signals ....signals are very directional and moving antenna just a few degrees will get/loose signals...

30-years of traveling tell me different. we pretty much rely on satellite now so don't do much with the OTA antenna. but when we did I followed the advice I gave and generally had very good results. there were occasions, prior to the digital disaster, where I would have to tweak the antenna a few degrees to change it from a snowy picture to a less snowy picture but that didn't happen too often. digital is much more finicky (no snow, it's either there or it's not) but on the rare occasions we can't get satellite I follow the same advice I gave. diff'rent strokes.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Tamworth is not a good place for TV reception. The nearest NBC station is WCSH in Portland Maine and I don't think their signal will make it over the hill.

update: WCSH transmitter is almost due East from Tamworth and is on a hill on the West side of Sebago Lake.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club