cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone good with A/V receivers?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up the Klipsch reference theater pack during the costco sale. Need a 7ch receiver for it and dont really know squat about them. By chance has anyone done a dolby atmos setup in their RV or trailer recently? I have speakers in my roof. So with the 5.1 klipsch setup i should be able to have a 7ch setup with the downward firing speakers.

I was so close to buying the Sony STR 1080. Was $100 off at best buy for a week. I totally lagged and missed the sale. Costco has a couple offerings right now. The yamaha is getting horrible reviews. The other receiver is not on sale. Hoping it will go on discount for xmas.

I plan to build some type of shock absorption for the receiver. Anyone done something similar? Advice to wire choice, banana plug choice, speaker location would all be greatly appreciated. Leaning towards 14awg solid core wire. The low oxygen stuff. Forget the exact term. Monoprice and GearIT seem to get good reviews. 
21 REPLIES 21

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
I had heard that many electronics mfrs were rushing to move production out of China to avoid the new 25% tariff when covid hit and the combined effect has been reduced output and shortages of many electronics items.
That matches what people say in the reviews of the Yamaha at costco. Some were saying it almost seems like they offered it at a very low price and are using the first customers at beta testers.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had heard that many electronics mfrs were rushing to move production out of China to avoid the new 25% tariff when covid hit and the combined effect has been reduced output and shortages of many electronics items.

You can get some good 14/2 in-wall sheathed speaker wire here at Parts Express for a reasonable price.

We had a 5.1 system I custom installed at our last S&B house and it was great, but this time around went with a Klipsch 2.1 soundbar and for these old ears it sounds just as good in a small space.

Not sure what your receiver budget is, but you can't go srong with Denon. I would also read the reviews here at Crutchfield to give you some perspective.

Honestly those Klipsch speakers are going to sound great with anything but a Wal-Mart receiver.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's been a tremendous shortage of receivers with limited choice.

Low O2 wires is mostly a scam. Can you see the difference on high tech equipment, absolutely. Can most tell the difference, nope.

Just like photography, in which the lens makes the difference, for audio, speakers make the difference. I had to give up my Infinity speakers, while setting up our new park model (add on living room). Just didn't have room for 4ft tall towers, or large on wall surround speakers. I went with mid range in wall speakers. It's amazing, even as deaf as I am, how much difference there is.

For my TT, I have a 3.1 surround sound bar. I'll install a 5.1 sound bar speaker system in the 5th wheel. I love my big receiver and all if it's capabilities, but that's a lot of space and weight.

My issue is finding something that can play all of my digital media. Heck, I haven't found a single solution in the homestead. Media computer probably comes the closest, but even that's not perfect.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the forums at www.avsforum.com for more info. Lots of support and answers to almost any question.

Boxing day is not far away now............
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome thanks. Will play with fans come summer time.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
i would not be worried about shock absorption for the receiver i have been running home a/v equipment in my rv's since 1995 and never had any of them fail from road vibration i would be more concerned with keeping the receiver running cool as heat is what will kill them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m not a fan of low oxygen stuff. To each his/her own however. I lag too sometimes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad