cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone mastered Kindle Owners Lending Library?

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to see a list of the books available in the Kindle Owners Lending Library, which is part of Prime membership. I have used it off and on over the past few years.

Until now, an eligible ebook listing would say Prime Eligible and have a button for Borrow for Free, or something like that. Now, the books shown in the Prime Eligible list only seem to be Kindle Unlimited books, or else not a free borrow at all. Kindle Unlimited is not the same as Kindle Owners Lending Library. (To add confusion, they now have a "Prime Reading" program, which features free reading of 1000 or so bigger selling books.)

List of KOLL ebooks

So what's going on? Where are the KOLL books, or have they morphed into the Unlimited books?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
10 REPLIES 10

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
scicop wrote:
They removed the prime logo from eligible books, but it looks like the Kindle Unlimited logo is still out there. Any KU book should be eligible to be read as a KOLL.That might be of some help.But you still have to do the actual borrow from your kindle device.

That makes sense from what I can see. I'll have to proceed on that and try to borrow one of them under the KOLL program.

scicop
Explorer
Explorer
They removed the prime logo from eligible books, but it looks like the Kindle Unlimited logo is still out there. Any KU book will be eligible to be read as a KOLL.That might be of some help. But you still have to do the actual borrow from your kindle device. From the device, you go to the KOLL selection list. But from a computer, I'm guessing you'll have to search via Kindle Unlimited books, it might miss a few, but I can't find another option since they removed the Prime button from the books.

UPDATE

I did some looking around and found this link which was posted on an ebook blog which seems to show the KOLL eligible books. I'm not sure how Amazon;s latest changes will affect it, but it worked when I wrote this. Hope it helps:

Prime Eligible Books

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
I use the following site to access Kindle Prime books on my PC. I download them to my Kindles to read them but you can also read them on your PC.
Kindle Prime

What you and another poster are mentioning is Prime Reading. This is completely different from the Kindle Owners Lending Library. The KOLL has 1.5 million books available. But isolating, searching and borrowing them is a pain in the neck. That is what I am asking about. The books are not best sellers. Most are cheap and written by novices and amateurs. But some are good. I just read Moneyball, which was a big seller several years ago about baseball's new way of evaluating players.

Then there is Kindle Unlimited, ANOTHER Amazon ebook program. ๐Ÿ™‚

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I use the following site to access Kindle Prime books on my PC. I download them to my Kindles to read them but you can also read them on your PC.
Kindle Prime
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
This doesn't answer your question but I find it cheaper. I got a library card from my local library and use their ebook program and borrow books through Overdrive. No cost. You can put 10 of the newer books on hold and when they become available they send you an email and you download them. I think the borrow time is 14 days.

It is 14 days but accessing Overdrive via my local library I was able to increase it 21 days. I sometimes (rarely) need more than 14 days when I get busy so I set mine to 21 days.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

scicop
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about the Prime Reading Program, Amazon now includes about 1100 kindle books that you can read for free as a Prime member. These books are broken down by category and are changed about every 90 days. You can add to them straight from your PC and can hold up to 10 at a time. Here's the link:

Amazon Prime Reading Program

Amazon seems to be changing things a bit but according to the link below:

Kindle Owners' Lending Library

You can still borrow one other book a month for free if it's in the program but they are only available from your kindle device.

Tom in Vegas
Fleetwood Flair

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
This doesn't answer your question but I find it cheaper. I got a library card from my local library and use their ebook program and borrow books through Overdrive. No cost. You can put 10 of the newer books on hold and when they become available they send you an email and you download them. I think the borrow time is 14 days.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
On the kindle home screen hit books. It takes you to Amazon, hit the menu on the top left. Pick new prime reading. Everything there that says prime is in the lending library.
The other stuff is $10.00 a month read all you want ( I think those people have to get a life)
I personally have done neither, if I want to read a book, I buy it, kindle books are pretty inexpensive.

Sounds like part of my problem is that I'm trying to review the list not from my Kindle, but from my PC. Just because of the ease of use. I know I can only read the free book on my Kindle, but I sure hate to use it for browsing.

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
I ran into some of the same trouble finding free titles with my prime membership for a while too. My wife turned me on to BookBub a while back and I couldn't be happier. I haven't paid for a book in a long time now. Here's a clicky in case anyone is interested:
CLICKY
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
On the kindle home screen hit books. It takes you to Amazon, hit the menu on the top left. Pick new prime reading. Everything there that says prime is in the lending library.
The other stuff is $10.00 a month read all you want ( I think those people have to get a life)
I personally have done neither, if I want to read a book, I buy it, kindle books are pretty inexpensive.