cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AT&T Unite Hotspot Port Forwarding

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a new IP Camera and trying to view it through an AT&T hotspot from my Cellphone. I can see the video on the local LAN but can't seem to be able to see it remotely. I have a feeling that AT&T doesn't allow remote viewing through their wireless networks. Calling them is a lesson in frustration. I know how to port forward, DNS Services, etc. and can see the camera through my Uverse router at home. Has anyone successfully been able to access an IP camera through an AT&T hotspot?
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired
14 REPLIES 14

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
you need to have a public ip, thats pretty much the problem, anything 4g seems to be on a private address.

if its anything in a 10.x 172.x or a 192.x your not going to be able to do it. without paying big bucks

you will need a cloud cam, which dials out to another server which has a public ip where you will then view it.

has nothing to do with terms of service or port blocking

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Solution: First you have to have a business account with AT&T. You then ask for the i2gold plan which will assign a static IP to your hotspot. I can assure you that this works. I found out that another option is to get one of the "cloud cams" that don't need a static IP to work.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
The typical ports used for streaming are 6970-6999. I'll bet AT&T is blocking those ports.

See this article.
I just looked at the three I set up at home, and I'm looking at them through 8080 on a Verizon Mifi. Can't hurt to try.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

keeptruckin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi lynndiwagon, were you able to find a solution to your problem? I am trying to figure this out, too!

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
I find it hard to believe that no one has wanted to access a camera in their RV while they are away from the rig....via a hotspot. I bet AT&T could make a lot of money by offering this service.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Evidently AT&T data uses double NAT addressing on wireless data hotspots. The cellphone tower you are on has a router that assigns an address, and that router gets it's address from another router, double NAT. It appears that you can get a static address for a wireless hotspot from AT&T for an additional $3.00 per month (for business accounts.) The service is called i2Gold APN. I will try talking to them next week and see if I can get this done.

Mr. Wizard, what service would host my video feed? Also, I don't want to stream video continuously, just when I access it, just like on the home router.

Thanks for all help.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
The typical ports used for streaming are 6970-6999. I'll bet AT&T is blocking those ports.

See this article.

MrWizard
Sorry...
Like I said
Your problem was the sending side, AT&T cellular was blocking the camera data,
Not blocking your iPhone

Or are you saying you can use the hotspot to send, If you use your home pc to view the remote camera
That would mean the problem is on the iPhone data side

In which case, you need to send the video to a website, not an allocated port
Then access the website via, the iPhone safari browser
Be aware that continues data streams eat data fast, and you could end up with either a big data bill for you vacation time, or no service after a few days of such remote monitoring, while you are out seeing the sights

There are some members here who have set up ip cameras at HOME, and use their DSL or cable service, and access their pet/security cameras from the RV while on the road

Don't remember any body doing it the way you want to
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after reviewing the terms I found this, pretty much sums it up:

AT&Tโ€™s wireless data services may not be used in any manner that has the effect of excessively contributing to network congestion, hindering other customersโ€™ access to the network, or degrading network performance by maintaining a sustained and continuous wireless data service connection or active wireless Internet connection. For example, this includes, but is not limited to, server devices or host computer applications such as continuous Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, or automated machine-to-machine connections; โ€œauto-responders,โ€ โ€œcancel-bots,โ€ or similar automated or manual routines that generate excessive amounts of traffic or that disrupt user
groups or email use by others; use of the service as a substitute or backup for private lines or full-time or dedicated data connections; peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing services; and software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a connection would otherwise be idle or any โ€œkeep aliveโ€ functions, unless they adhere to AT&T data retry requirements (as may be modified from time to time).
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to view a camera in the RV from my cellphone when we're out and about and the pets are alone. I'll try to forward a higher port and see if that works. I have a sinking feeling that AT&T Cellular firewalls are blocking all incoming access. Bob, I'll try the Port scanner app also. Thanks again.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Port Scanner in the Google App Store. It will scan ports on a remote computer. If you want to scan the ports on your android you'll need to run a scanner on something like your PC and scan the Android.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Which leads to the next logical question:
Has anyone written a port scanner for iOS or android?

Found Port Scan for iOS
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you know how to do port forwarding, map the output to a different port. Many ISPs block or filter traffic on well-known ports which are typically those below 32,767.

Services like Torrent default to use these lower port numbers, and since "they" think the only purpose for Torrent is to steal music and videos and by blocking these ports they lock out Torrent applications. However by mapping to use higher port numbers one can get these services running again so it can be used for otherwise legal purposes.

MrWizard
The hotspot is in the RV, or in the house
For sending out from home or for receiving in RV
Are you trying to check RV from home
Or check house from RV

I know cellphone data contracts, stipulate NO ..remote viewing equipment monitoring aka 24 hr continuous access not allowed
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s