cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATT and Galaxy Hot Spot issue

TCI
Explorer
Explorer
I heard there is an issue today with galaxy phones being able to turn on the hotspot.  I get the message your plan doesn't support mobile tethering.  Att tells me all is OK, but another forum said there is an issue.  Any thoughts?
I use the hotspot all the time and have unlimited.

Thanks
2015 31ft Keystone Montana Fifth Wheel w/3 slides
2015 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 Short Bed Diesel Crew Cab
1 Cat
Fulltiming since Oct 06 - Sold the Stick House
11 REPLIES 11

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm using my new Galaxy S22 as a hotspot now on the Visible Party plan. Cost is $30 for unlimited data now although I am grandfathered in on my old $25 party pay plan. Very fast 5g coverage. Have been on this plan for about 3 years or so and have never had a place where we did not have good coverage.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MrWizard
2oldman wrote:
TCI wrote:
You get unlimited using the hotspot? That's usually regulated.

Many plans on many carriers offer unlimited hotspot, my visible plan $25 party pay is unlimited, I'm just not using it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
TCI wrote:
Thank you got it solved. Told to turn on airplane mode. Restart phone. Airplane mode still on. Wait a few minutes, the sqit h off airplane mode and try Hotspot. Worked.
Electronics are great when they work.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pbeverly
Nomad
Nomad
I get that occasionally. Usually just try a second time and it will work.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I heard that too. Will check.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
ktmrfs the Samsung S20 FE does allow wife and hotspot at the same time.

I don't know if that allows daisy chain or not.

I don't know if it permits data to be collected in a manner which allows both to be functional.

well it sort of does and we/ve done it on our S20FE. With Wifi on when you select "hotspot" what it does is allow "wifi sharing", the hotspot link comes up and when you log on your actually sharing the wifi connection. You log in just like when it is used as a hotspot. So it appears as a hotspot, even though it is a daisy chained link.

When you enable hotspot this way it comes up with a message "your wifi connection is being shared" In this case your not using your phone data limits. In fact we used this feature for a week or more not long ago when we were at a location with no cell service and the house wifi quit. So I used ethernet to get internet to the laptop, turned on the laptop wifi hotspot, connected my phone to the that wifi, then turned the phone hotspot on for others to use wifi sharing.

I didn't want to just have everyone share the hotspot on the laptop for security reasons, also set the laptop to only allow the phones MAC address to access wifi.
used the phone "hotspot" gave an extra layer of security and could place the phone in a central location where everyone had a good wifi connection. where the laptop was located was far enough away that the common areas where people wanted to use wifi had a pretty week signal from the laptop. So I just placed the phone midway between them, and we were back in business.

Now you can turn off the ability to share wifi and in that case if wifi is on, trying to turn on hotspot will come up with a message saying you must enable wifi sharing to use the hotspot.

And there is yet another possible way to share vi internet access. enable usb tethering and turn on hotspot. I haven't tried that but it may allow internet sharing via hotspot. Under mobile hotspot on selection is usb tethering or sharing via bluetooth.

If wifi is off then the hotspot is your typical hotspot using your cell phone and cell phone data limits etc.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ktmrfs the Samsung S20 FE does allow wife and hotspot at the same time.

I don't know if that allows daisy chain or not.

I don't know if it permits data to be collected in a manner which allows both to be functional.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
TCI wrote:
You get unlimited using the hotspot? That's usually regulated.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TCI
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you got it solved. Told to turn on airplane mode. Restart phone. Airplane mode still on. Wait a few minutes, the sqit h off airplane mode and try Hotspot. Worked.
Electronics are great when they work.
2015 31ft Keystone Montana Fifth Wheel w/3 slides
2015 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 Short Bed Diesel Crew Cab
1 Cat
Fulltiming since Oct 06 - Sold the Stick House

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I had a similar issue on Verizon a few months ago. If I remember correctly it turned out that I had disabled WiFi on the phone. Maybe check to make sure that WiFi and Bluetooth are both enabled.

here is how our galaxy devices work:

Case 1 wifi OFF:
if you turn on mobil hotspot the connection is through your carrier and you are sharing data useage etc. with everyone connected.

Case 2: wifi on:
here is where you can run into an issue. What happens is you can't have a hotspot based on your carrier and wifi connection at the same time. The phone can't do that, So what happens is that you are using "wifi sharing" That is it looks like a hotspot but everyone is sharing YOUR wifi connection w/o any isolation. A message will come up when you enable hotspot that says "wifi connection being shared"

Now the issue that may come up is when you have wifi ON and try to go to mobile hotspot it gives an error message. Something like needing to enable wifi sharing. That is so you know your sharing a wifi connection NOT mobile connection.

when wifi is off and I select hotspot a message comes up in short
you are running a mobile hotspot and data useage applies. you will switch to wifi sharing when wifi network becomes available.

Not if you haven't enabled wifi sharing when you connect to wifi and try to enable hotspot it will come up with a message saying you need to enable wifi sharing.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I had a similar issue on Verizon a few months ago. If I remember correctly it turned out that I had disabled WiFi on the phone. Maybe check to make sure that WiFi and Bluetooth are both enabled.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup