Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Automatic Satellite

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

I was told by a Camping World salesman here in San Martin, CA that a new automatic carry out dish would be available for DirecTV in a few weeks that would allow me to watch more than one TV in high definition.
Has anybody heard about such a dish? If so, can you pass along any details?

We currently just set one up manually, but would love the automatic.
I am aware of the Winegard (shown below) that you can install on the roof of the coach, but don't want one as I frequently say in parks with lots of trees. Moving my entire couch to get satellites doesn't sound like a good time.

Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Satellite antennas come in two types times two types for this discussion

Dome and Dish
Single or Dual (And for DircHDTV SWM)

I know of no DOME type that will work with DirecHDTV for RV use (Marine perhaps but that is a different environment) and I do not think anyone is working on one

A dome with DUAL OUTPUT (A dual) can work with multiple receivers on DirecTV (NO HD however)

With dish,A dome works best with one reciver.. SD or HD does not matter but one dome per receiver dos.

DISH type antennas.. There are several "Sub Models" Each Sub model works with one type of service.. if the dish is either DUAL or SWM (Single Wire Multiplex) it works with multiple receivers.

NOTE: Single and dual refer to OUTPUT connections, NOT to the number of lenses or "Hockey Pucks" but to the numbr of outputs.

DircTV uses a SOLO (One lense)
DISHnetwork SD a TWIN (Two)
HD antennas are Triplets (3 Lenses)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe all of the DirecTV automatic portable units have dual outputs but none will be usable with the DirecTV HD service.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
The only dual output DirecTV portable I am aware of is the King VuQube 2100 and it is not HD. If there is a dual port HD coming out good for you.
Randy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There will never be a dome style unit (unless it was HUGE!) that will receive DTV HD programming. You need a large antenna like the one you show and your choices are roof mount automatic or mounting a similar antenna on a tripod which you point yourself.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
oops dup
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did both SAT TV and OTA TV for a while and had same problem with SAT TV. I would rather park in the shade then to watch the SAT TV it seems. The OTA CLEAR HDTV using my BATWING UHF Antenna then got used for the digital TV signals from the local towns. This was always better HDTV then what I got from the standard SAT TV anyway haha...

I eventually just stopped bringing along the SAT TV stuff from the house...
We downstream from the Internet if we want to watch some of those SAT TV cable channels.

Never wanted to pay the high cost for the automated SAT TV reception.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS