cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best app for spam blocking

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting an unbelievable number of spam calls. I am looking for an effective spam blocker. I know that downloading the wrong app can make the situation worse. I did something that has made me a spam target. My wife, on the same account, does not have the problem. I would like to hear from others who have experienced good and bad results from spam blockers.

I thought I had already posted this but can't find it. If this is a double post, please forgive.
12 REPLIES 12

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Answering like businesses do helps to reduce spam calls.
Instead of answering saying "Hello", say "Bill's RV Service".
I would love to answer spam calls with "FBI, Special Agent Banks", but that might be illegal. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

MrWizard
Android 12, on this phone has Google Call Screening,
So when they're is a call from a number i don't recognize, i tap the screen call icon,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
What brand/model phone? Who is your cell provider?
Some in either category are better at providing spam blocking tech than others. It may be an option you either have to set on the phone, tell your cell provider you want turned on, or both.
With the rise in the ease of "spoofing" phone numbers, it no longer works to accept from certain area codes or prefixes. Many times, I get spam calls that are from my own phone number(!).
Refusing to answer any call, except from those in your contact list, does seen to, over time, greatly reduce the number received. Can be an irritation if a call comes in from, say, your doctor on an unknown number - and then you have to play phone tag trying to get back in contact with them.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

klaster79
Explorer
Explorer
I got your frustration with spam calls.Some apps can indeed worsen the situation. It's great to seek advice from others who've experienced both good and bad outcomes with spam blockers. Proper software maintenance is key to keeping your phone spam-free.Here some apps:Truecaller,Nomorobo,RoboKiller

Latner wrote:
free radical wrote:
Fwiw
I never answer calls from anyone I dont know.
Let all go to voicemail.
If theres no mesage its spam.
I also BLOCK all numbers that dont leave mesage.
I never accept read any text msm.from people I dont know.
Solved all problems

X2

This is what I also do. If I don't know who called, and they need to contact me, they will leave a message. Otherwise, I block the number.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
free radical wrote:
Fwiw
Let all go to voicemail.
Solved all problems

X2

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Fwiw
Let all go to voicemail.
Solved all problems

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had very good service on both my previous landline and my cell with NOMOROBO.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the free app Hiya for years - very effective - I have not found the need to upgrade to their paid app
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:
at 30-50 calls a day, I would change my number

It's strange in that some days there are are almost no spam calls and on other days they come one after another. Today, (Saturday) I have only had two, yesterday I must have had 40. I considered having a number change but then thought about all the trouble that it would cause. We don't have a land line any longer and I use mu cell number as the primary number, so it would cause a lot of trouble.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
For future reference if you look at your name on the left side of the screen. Click on "View Profile" and then on the next screen click on "View Posts" to see your most recent posts.

Alternatively on the top right of this screen click on "My Forums". Then on the middle of the next screen click on "My Posts" But the alternative route can be a lot slower.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Here's your original post. I agree I read it earlier today and couldn't find the post just now. I had to go looking for it to find it.
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup