cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cb anntennas

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
Can you run a ground wire to the chase to make a regular antenna work?
16 REPLIES 16

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
A "wire" like a #10 copper wire for instance, will not work very well to make a good RF ground plane. You would need to use something like a wide copper braid strap. Even then, the antenna really needs a ground plane directly under it to work very well. What RV are we talking about? If you have metal framing: metal studs, metal roof trusses, etc. then you may do okay. If you have a wood framed RV then it won't work well.
Years ago Radio Shack used to cell a CB antenna that was advertised for marine use and didn't need a ground plane. I don't remember the specifics of how it was constructed. That's what I would do, look for an antenna that doesn't require a ground plane.
Technically, your RV does have a ground plane in the frame, engine, and any other metal but it's generally too far removed from where an antenna would go.

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
I believe you meant the case of the radio. The coax is already running to the case. Most antennas work best with a ground plane which is usually the other half of a shortened antenna. Good question but try YouTube for suggestions on antennas.
al