cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell coverage in Death Valley

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Hi folks. Has anyone been to Death Valley recently that can tell me if there is cell coverage in the Furnace Creek area. Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Just got back from Death Valley and T-Moble works there. As time2roll stated, decent signal and 3G for T-Mobile as well.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
time2roll wrote:
Solid 3G in Texas Springs campground right now. And a beautiful day in DV today.

Nice to know.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Solid 3G in Texas Springs campground right now. And a beautiful day in DV today.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Asking a simple question about the status of current technology in specific areas has nothing to do with how things were done before that technology existed. We all know the answer to how it was done back then. I would question how many died before modern technology existed that it could have saved. Knowing what technology is available in your area of travel just makes good sense to me...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
I wonder how people toured Death Valley before cell phones?
They don't work. I don't get your point.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
The smart phone has taken away our need to think and prepare.
Never underestimate how smart people had to be just to survive 100+ years ago.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks for the info. It has been several years since we were in Death Valley and were hoping for some cell coverage in the campground areas.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had some cell service at Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek CGs two years ago. Donโ€™t depend on it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to change. In March, 2014, at Texas Springs campground I had Verizon 3G coverage, but no AT&T. In October 2017, no Verizon, but a very overloaded off network AT&T data coverage at Furnace Creek. You can purchase WiFi time at the Furnace Creek Village...

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
We were able to make calls from there with the aid of a booster. (That was several cell phones ago and I can't remember which booster we used.)

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
While there are a few spots where distant towers can be hit, the vast majority of the park has no signals. Don't depend on a cell phone in that area. A few years ago Verizon put in a small cell in the Furnace Creek area. When we were last there in Feb. 2019, we had a fair 3G signal at Sunset CG, and a Verizon roaming partner over in Stovepipe Wells. I don't know if anything has changed since then.

Art
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I got some 2g data a few years ago. I think I got a few texts out. Mostly no. Bring a couple rolls of quarters and use a pay phone. Yes there are a couple and were working last time I was out there. Basically off grid so keep your wits about you. Carry two days food and water when you go explore. Top your vehicle fuel every day. With any luck I will be in TX Springs camp next week.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Nope.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.