cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cell for nissan navigation

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor has a new rogue and the cell phone is needed to make the gps work. I cannot believe this can be true.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110
9 REPLIES 9

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I see this as the future....I don't know why anyone would buy GPS in a vehicle anyways, just use the phone.

Soon...next 5 years....all cars will integrate with your android and/or iphone for talk, text, navigation, and music probably even the movies for the kids in the back. Your cars infotainment system will be only a radio and a screen that operates your phones systems.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to get my neighbor to explain why it needs the cell phone but his answer was who cares we don't so end of this story. That is always his answer when he doesn't know what the real answer is. Friend for 73 years so it is ok.

chevman
chevman
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Explorer
Explorer
There are so-called "Smart" GPS units now that connect to a smart phone and use data for specific functions beyond the usual bluetooth handsfree calling, etc., but everyone that I have seen does not need the data for GPS navigation. They have their own maps and GPS receiver. The phone data seems to add things like weather, etc. Looking at these in Best Buy I was not impressed.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
thanks every body.
chevman
chevman
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Our Lexus has a navigation system screen that also provides connectivity to a cellphone, MP3 player, and other devices using Bluetooth technology or hardwire connections.

The navigation (GPS) operates independantly of the cellphone.

However, the Lexus also has an OnStar type service that you pay for monthly or yearly. With this service you push the OnStar button and a live person's voice comes through the radio speakers. You can ask them for directions to an address or the nearest Italian Restaurant or just about anything else you need. The person will look up what you need and download the directions to the navigation system. This uses a cellphone like service but it isn't our cellphone service so it doesn't use any of our minutes. If you don't pay for this OnStar type service you can't use it. But the navigation system will still allow you to input addresses and look up local points of interest (POI).

There are two systems working over the same navigation/media screen in the vehicle.

The salesperson probably inaccurately told your friend or your friend misunderstood that the navigation system requires his cellphone to operate. I'm guessing it's more like what I described above in our Lexus. Most car companies provide the OnStar type services free for the first 3 months to a year on new car purchases.

It sounds like it needs it for map data. Would be too crazy if it utilizes the cell phone GPS.

Captain_Obvious
Explorer
Explorer
It is my understanding that the low end navigation systems use your phone to make a call and get directions, which are then read to you. They don't have map data locally. Some of the Ford Sync systems work this way.

sato4000
Explorer
Explorer
It integrates with the Iphone and android OS to use the same apps you installed on your phone. Cool idea but what if you forget your phone or someone borrows your car.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
neither can i.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman