Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

MichiganHotrod
Explorer
Explorer
FYI.. I use Verizon access($5 a month charge) with an LG vx5200 cell teathered to my laptop with a cable provided in the Susteen Datapoint software package. Workds great - slightly faster than my old dial up. A plus is that after 9:00PM the airtime is free.

PS... I formally had Cingular... that was NOT a positive experience.

1Maverick
Explorer
Explorer
I have a jack receptacle on my Verizon aircard, which will allow for an external antenna. I understand that this would help in areas of low signal strength. Will it also help with connection speeds?
2004 Diplomat with 2002 4X4 Yukon Toad or 2006 Saturn VUE V6 AWD
FMCA# F373941

gadgetat
Explorer
Explorer
vort max wrote:
I too have just started with verizon's national access
using a kpc650 card, amplifier and trucker-antenna.
(my signal is still weak)

several hours ago my max speed was 45kbps but has since
dropped down to about 8-14K, uch slower than my dialup.

I was wondering if this is common.maybe there are too
many cell phones in use, etc so the system slows.
i do know that often when
i use verizon i have to wait 15-30 secs before connecting.

Anyone have suggestions why the speed has slowed?
I am on national access-not broadband or quick2net.

thanks
rich

Rich,

Hey there. My name's Rich too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Few things I'd do.

1) Do you have a Verizon Cell phone? If so, when you're getting the slow connection take a look at your phone. On the handset's menu do you see a 1X anywhere? If not then there's one problem. The higher speed, even national access, is at least 1X. Otherwise their low speed network is only 14.4K. Ick.

2) If you've got a cell phone, is it data ready? If so I'd hook it up in the same spot where you're having the network issue. Use the same settings for access that you use with the card. The most you'll get hit for is minutes of use on Airtime. If you get a better download with the phone then I'd start looking at the card as your issue.

3) On Verizon's Network Manager program you can tell it only 3G networks or only 2G networks. Do you have 2G selected? If so you might only be picking their low speed. Double check that one.

I live in an area with only 1X close by. I've been getting 124K on average for download, and it has not degraded. That's why I wonder if you're even on their 1X network. Keep in mind, they're growing the network everyday, and upgrading the cell sites. Over time network speed will improve across the board, but it really does take time. One of my old cell techs just stopped by to say hi. He's out installing new network cards for a competing carrier's network (my old employer).

Hope this helps. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rich

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
What protocols do you have enabled on your PC for that dial-up connection? You might try turning off everything except IP and QOS. It will not help your connect speeed, but it will help how your machine uses it.

vort_max
Explorer
Explorer
gadgetat,

you think it might be the network?

after all the positive comments regarding verizon national access my
results so far stink.

max speed today has only been 20kbps and the average
is 10kpbs. some web pages "time out" and many never completely
stop scrolling.

any thots how i might tweek things??

thank you,
rich

gadgetat
Explorer
Explorer
HiTech wrote:

Nice - I already have rolling WiFi and 100Mbps, but to get Internet for the other machines I will have to enable Internet Connection Sharing in XP. Sounds like the Kyocera is an integrated box.

Very slick.

Jim

Jim,

Yup, I've setup my own with my cell phone and laptop too. This is just a nice integrated package, Firewall, etc. Everything you'd expect out of a router. I posted a lot more on my about it, including pics. Kyocera review at blog.

On Vort Max's question regarding network speed. It's probably the network not you. Some of the networks aren't upgraded yet. You won't get much in the way of speed in those areas. Also, network loading will affect your speed. I used to run one of the big wireless carrier's network (operations side), and nobody's got perfect coverage, and nobody's got all the latest rolled out everywhere.

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Beacher wrote:
Another option is INFRARED. If your Cell Phone and Notebook computer have IRDA compatible infrared, your cell phone can probably be used as a modem.

It's also handy for transfering address, telephone, and pictures to the notebook, and an infrared capable PDA.

My SONY Ericsson phone and my IBM Thinkpad talk nicely. I used my phone as an internet modem, and also for sending and recieving detailed text messages "typed" on the PDA.

Interesting - How do you do this? I have some ancient notebook PC's that do not have USB, but do have IrDA. I know how to share files over IR, but how can I configure them and my Treo 650 for dial up networking over IR?

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
gadgetat wrote:
Sounds like a cool setup. I've used my Motorola E815 with the blue tooth to connect my laptop.

I just went and picked up a new Kyocera KR1 WiFi / EVDO router. Got a Verizon EVDO card a few weeks ago, and I wanted to use it with my Windows & Mac systems (planning a long trip soon). So far the KR1 is working well (been trying it for a day). AC and DC power on it.

Now with the KR1 my trailer is literally a rolling WiFi Hotspot (as long as I have cell coverage). ๐Ÿ™‚

Nice - I already have rolling WiFi and 100Mbps, but to get Internet for the other machines I will have to enable Internet Connection Sharing in XP. Sounds like the Kyocera is an integrated box.

Very slick.

Jim

vort_max
Explorer
Explorer
I too have just started with verizon's national access
using a kpc650 card, amplifier and trucker-antenna.
(my signal is still weak)

several hours ago my max speed was 45kbps but has since
dropped down to about 8-14K, uch slower than my dialup.

I was wondering if this is common.maybe there are too
many cell phones in use, etc so the system slows.
i do know that often when
i use verizon i have to wait 15-30 secs before connecting.

Anyone have suggestions why the speed has slowed?
I am on national access-not broadband or quick2net.

thanks
rich

gadgetat
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a cool setup. I've used my Motorola E815 with the blue tooth to connect my laptop.

I just went and picked up a new Kyocera KR1 WiFi / EVDO router. Got a Verizon EVDO card a few weeks ago, and I wanted to use it with my Windows & Mac systems (planning a long trip soon). So far the KR1 is working well (been trying it for a day). AC and DC power on it.

Now with the KR1 my trailer is literally a rolling WiFi Hotspot (as long as I have cell coverage). ๐Ÿ™‚

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
I am online at right now on a bluetooth connection from my PC through Sprint on my Treo 650. You need the latest updates, then DUN (dial up networking) shows up on the Treo's bluetooth menu. For me I bought an eBay bluetooth USB dongle for just over $10 shipped. I detected the treo from my laptop, set a 4 digit numeric pin and the devices were paired. Then I set up DUN with the id web, password web and told it to dial #777. I also shut off all the protocols on that connection except TCP/IP.

I am on it now and it is running over 2x dial up speed, about 120K actual (I configured the PC to talk to the modem at 230K). Quite respectable, no cords required, the phone can just sit in my pocket or on its charger.

Jim

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have cell phone service through Verizon, but it should work just the same with Sprint. I use a Samsung phone A640, and an mobile office kit I got at the Verizon store. All it is is a USB cable that plugs into the phone on one end and the computer on the other. I use JUNO for dial-up access. Software comes with the cable kit to let your computer reconize the phone as a modem. Just plug it in, and use your dial-up access just like you were connected to a phone line. BUT!! IT IS SLOW!!!! 14.4 with acceleration still is only 23.0 baud, about 1/3 the speed of your home line. It is OK for receiving e-mail, no pictures if possible, a little bit of internet slowly. The only problem with JUNO is that they have a lot of handshaking to you conputer when it connects, and you have to wait for it to finish. I would recommend one of the bare bones dial-ups rather than AOL or JUNO. Earthlink might be OK, I have never used them myself.
Hope this helps, my account has free nights and weekends, so I can use all the minutes I want to after 9:00 and on weekends. There is no additional charge for data service either, although I have found a few locations where the service is not supported. West Virginia in particular. Also, cell phone access is limited in the boondocks.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

jimrob
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a better link to Snap Dialer.
http://www.futuredial.com/Products/snapdialer/P_SD.htm

MrWizard
MAGGIEMAE wrote:
There may have been a comment or two which were missed, but so far nothing seems to be publicized about the Verizon Broadband/National Access program. They sell the modem, you plug it in the slot and configure your 'pooter, and then the challenge begins. Oh, the initial cost = about $107.00 for the hardware/software, and $60.00 monthly flat fee for a couple of years. The frustration level is
free, and one could become bald in a few months with this "service".

When (and if) it works and is hooked up to a Verizon Broadband tower, it is somewhat slower than a cable modem, but generally satisfactory. When you venture out of range of such a tower, then the skeet-shoot begins. And if one gets so far afield that the regular cell phone coverage is under "Extended Network" (translation = a contract with Joe Blow and his flimsy antenna which is supposed to carry the Verizon traffic for a few cents extra per call) then one is probably unable to get "Connected", or will be dropped without notice, losing all copy when the machine goes "Dormant". No keys will awaken it, either.

On balance, a questionable value, and nothing even close to a "National" service. All lies! Caveat emptor!!!

these cards have ben discussed

and most people are happy with them,

the dormant problem is the tower/servers way of saving bandwidth when you are NOT sending or recieving any data

the quick way to awake the thing is to close the dialer then start it again, you do NOT have close your browser windows. just the dialer

dropout and other problems, are either with your card or your service area.

have you had the card checked by verizon ? have you tried another card ? have you checked for updated 'drivers' ? have you installed on another laptop ? ( friends or relative ) to see how the card performed with a different laptop
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

canadian_eh_
Explorer
Explorer
If anyone needs an invite to open a G-Mail account just PM me and I will send you one.
1999 Winnebago Chieftain 35U
F-53 with a Triton V-10