Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

MrWizard

Sprint has turned on what is known as Modem NAI, a new tethering monitoring system in almost all Power Vision devices that will ensure that Power Vision phones have the required Phone-As-Modem plan to be able to connect to the internet

verizon has already done this, AFAIK it started with the 8100

so the 8100 8300 8500 8600 9800 9900 LG phones have this, and likely some other models

but it only affects using the EVDO network, puting the phone in 1xOnly mode for the 1x backdoor ( using minutes ) completely negates the EVDO NAI concern on the verizon network
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if this is the case for older vision capable phones. I have an old Sanyo 4900 that I tether when on the road????
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

TheCaptKen
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that fear is what drove me to call first. I just tried my cellphone connection for the real first time and the speed test gave me a connection speed of 879.5 Kilobits. Not as fast as the cable modem here at the house but not shabby. I'm using it currently and seems to do real well for $25 a month. Heck my service at the house is $39 a month.
2002 Powerstroke
2003 27RK Wildcat (Cathouse)
2017 Denali 316 RES

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
2 new messages, from a couple Sprint users ( both who had turned off the NAI ).
1/2/07:

guess I got caught. I had a $99.99 "PCS data" fee on my bill. That was a surprise. I got a new a900 recently and did the same things I did to my old one. Is there any kind of new changes that would enable them to see it.

I guess I got caught too, I have done it briefly in the past with no problem. I decided to use the phone as a modem to do a quick speed test, and I checked my bill this month and had a $104 PCS Data charge. I am a powervision subscriber and still got charged

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91508&page=21&pp=15

I'm only trying to protect new cell users, who might try this. Just beware you might get caught.
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I could find.
If you have an older phone, you might be ok. BUT, the newer phones that support EVDO can be monitored for data use. This stands for Sprint as well as Verison. So becareful.

Sprint has turned on what is known as Modem NAI, a new tethering monitoring system in almost all Power Vision devices that will ensure that Power Vision phones have the required Phone-As-Modem plan to be able to connect to the internet. This includes the Sanyo MM-9000, Samsung MM-A900, MM-A920, and MM-A940. The only exception to this rule is the PPC-6700, which does not support Modem NAI, and will continue to be able to tether without a PAM plan.

Customers who attempt to tether on an EV-DO phone without a PAM plan will receive either no error or an authentication failure message on their phone. Hackers on many sites have posted, and confirmed that there is an existing method on EV-DO Samsung phones to disable Modem NAI, for which Sprint PCS Info is currently providing coverage of.

Existing Vision devices will continue to be able to tether without a PAM plan, though Sprint encourages those customers to sign up for a PAM plan.

There was a bunch more info, I just quoted the one that said it in the clearest terms.
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

TheCaptKen
Explorer
Explorer
Just something I discovered. We changed over to Altel last month and our son loaded the program that allows us to use our laptops to make changes on our phones. Just easier to load music and phone numbers with the laptop. I discovered that I could access the internet thru the phone with the laptop. Before I got carried away and found myself in hock to the phone company, I phoned my agent today and asked about any charges. Since I have the Razr phone and it works like an internet card when connected via a usb cord, I could have unlimited internet access for $25 a month. So I signed up. When I checked the signal, it was as good as the service I get thru our cable company.
2002 Powerstroke
2003 27RK Wildcat (Cathouse)
2017 Denali 316 RES

The_Weekenders
Explorer
Explorer
We use a system called Telular at our radio station for sports broadcasts. It is a fixed wireless terminal that we use with our phone/mic mixer. We plug it into the terminal to call out on. It can also be used for regular phone calls (your home cordless phone can be plugged into it). Check out this link http://www.telular.com/products/product_display.asp?productID=69
Every meal is a feast, everyday is a parade and every paycheck is a fortune!
Spring is coming soon as well Minnesota Twins spring training๐Ÿ˜›
Rick & Sheila's RVing Album
Rick's Facebook
2004 Ford F350 6.0PSD
2008 Keystone Montana 3585SA

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
the KB charge is always confusing to people , it is based on the idea of using data on a PDA/smart phone without the PDA monthly data plan a PDA does not ring up minutes when in data mode

when you use your phone to ( dialup )call YOUR ISP, it is just another phone call and uses minutes of your call plan

when you use the #777 backdoor on the 1x mode, it also uses minutes of your call plan,

data bytes are NOT counted, MINUTES are counted

I didnt read 24 pages to see if this was asked before.

I hear Sprint is starting to go after the customers using their phone for data transfers. Read it on a sprint user forum that Sprint can actually tell the difference of a data call and a voice call. of course, dailing in #777 could be their notice to start monitoring you.

Any confirmation on this?
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
Just the Wife and I.

JerryBQ500
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU MR WIZARD. My old LG phone died and I replaced it with
a LG 8300 and also bought the music kit to get the cable. I then set up the phone like you said and it works GREAT thanks again.
Jerry B RC flyer
JerryB

MrWizard
the KB charge is always confusing to people , it is based on the idea of using data on a PDA/smart phone without the PDA monthly data plan a PDA does not ring up minutes when in data mode

when you use your phone to ( dialup )call YOUR ISP, it is just another phone call and uses minutes of your call plan

when you use the #777 backdoor on the 1x mode, it also uses minutes of your call plan,

data bytes are NOT counted, MINUTES are counted
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MtnDew
Explorer
Explorer
if you are wondering about the charge here's what I would do:
Make an internet connection during peak hours using your phone....download something worthwhile but not too big....maybe a song or some software or something (msft updates maybe)..look at your next statement and see if they charged you for the kb's you downloaded...if they didn't you should be safe...expect the minutes to be going against your plan if you call during peak hours though.
Also try a call during the weekend and download something and check next statement...neither the call nor the kb's should be charged against your plan. I've used verizon while on the road for a few years now and never have been charged for any data call and I stay connected for hours on end during the nights/weekends playing on line games...
Only way to find out about your particular situation is to actually try it and look at the statement.....(all plans are different depending when you initially signed up as their plan rules and regulations are forever changing so they can make a buck or 2)
'06 Bounder Diesel 38L
Full timers ๐Ÿ™‚

Pineapple_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Many Alohas for the wonderful information! I will give it a go to see what will happen!
One question I still am concerned about is the reference to the charge of $0.015 cents per KB ? Is the dial up exempt from this? or will I get a real big surprise when I get my first bill?
Is what I am doing against Verizon's rules or just not advertised?
Would this be free on nights and weekends?

Aloha and Mahalo from Kauai
Leon ( DBA Pineapple Kid )
Pineapple Kid Kauai, Hawaii

2013 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel (In California)
2003 Jayco 243RKS fifth wheel (In California)
Right Hand drive Sprinter Motorhome ( in Netherlands )

MrWizard
the MOK gives you the cable, and the 'drivers', for the phone to function as a modem

you have several choices, as to how too do it.

the drivers must installed before anything will work

then

you can add the VZW access manager OR you can do with out it

connection possibilites

do you have a dialup number provided by your current ISP

if so , you might be able set up a NORMAL slow dialup connection to your ISP
this connection will function like any normal phone call, does NOT use VZW data network and will use your minutes

#2 setup the 1x backdoor connection, a little bit more work, will use your minutes, but will be faster than using dialup to your current ISP

#3 add the $59 data plan as a feature to your phone, this will give you broadband DSL like speeds, an unlimited access, NO minutes will be used from your plan, and as a feature on your voice line , it can be turned on/off added or removed on a monthly basis as needed, add it when your traveling for a few weeks, take it off when your home

here are the basic instructions for setting option 1 & 2

the only differences are the ID & PW & number dialed
for your ISP you will use the number they give you and your ID and PW

for the 1x backdoor , use the your 10digit cell number for ID and vzw for PW

so many people are getting NEW phones ( Vcast capable phones ) and want to use the 1x network connection, here are some directions, these are detailed for the lg 8100 on verizon, will work for the 8300 and 9800 and possibly the 5200

this works for my LG vx8100 and should work for your LG from verizon

press MENU

now press the number 0

the screen will say enter service code

now press 0 6 times

a new secret menu list will appear

look for NETWORK SELECT ( on my phone it is number 3 in the list )

choose NETWORK SELECT and press OK

another menu choose 'Mode Preference' press 1 or OK

another menu

with 4 choices

choose '1X Only'

press OK

this will lock the phone to 1x mode

now press END

it should work for you

If you need to setup the phones PC connection and DUN ( dialup networking )

that is also in the service menu

selection #4 'Data'

nothing about this will change your voice phone calls

VOICE calls do NOT use EvDo ( digital hybrid ) mode that you turned off

all you have done so far is , set the phone to act like older phones that did not have Ev-Do broadband data speed capability,

in the service menu under data, scroll down to PC connection and choose 'cable DUN' and choose enable and OK

all you need to do now is make sure the PW & ID are correct in your dialup connection settings

or create a new dialup connection

PW is VZW the ID is cellphonenumber@vzw3g.com

example 5551235656@vzw3g.com

the number to dial is #777

Create your connection

when you go to connect for the first time, click Properties, go to the "Security" Tab, then under security options, you need to select the radio button next to "Advanced (custom settings)" then click the settings button just to the right of the radio button..

when that dialog box comes up, under the "Allow These Protocols" section, you need to uncheck everything but the "Unencrypted Password (PAP)" option. Hit "OK" on the bottom, a dialog will come up saying something about if the connection uses one of the protocols that you just un-selected it wont work, just press "OK", then press "OK" again.. then you will be back at the login screen for the DUN connection.. Press "Connect" it should work from there..

I hope these directions help
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
Pineapple Kid:

If you have the Verizon Office kit and the correct cable to connect your cell phone to the laptop, you should have all you "need" to make a dial-up connection that would use your normal cell phone plan minutes. If you dial up after 9 PM and weekends, it is free. Your connect speeds will not be blinding, i.e. 44kbs to perhaps 54 kbs. But to check webmail on a server somewhere and download normal messages with modest attachments here and there, it is not a terribly painful task. You DON'T need any other "plans" provided your ISP has a dial-up phone number you can use.

Most folks at any Verizon store truly do not have a grasp of the "solution" from one end to the other. The software in their "office" kit is the same as I recommended in the original thread of this topic. I still use it today and have only had to change my cable when I changed my phone. I did not purchase anything extra on my Verizon cell phone plan.

Hope this helps. Happy New Year!

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

Pineapple_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
I do need help also! I have Rotary dial electronic ability!

I just signed up for 2 years of Verizon Americas Choice with a
LG-VX8300 phone. ( I have a Toshiba Notebook)
I also purchased a Verizon Mobil office kit ( $39.99)
I read the pamphlets, all the pages on this topic on RV Net, and talk to the nice people at Verizon ( who I believe are; 1)trained to talk you into an expensive something you don,t want, 2)completely in LA LA Land when it comes to hooking up a computer to a cell phone )

Some of the pamphlets say you can not do it without paying for one of the two $59.99 services they offer ( Verizon )
Other pamphlets have small print references to charging you 1 1/2 cents per KB.
People on Web sites say just hook up and use your dial up ISP and Verizon will never know about it.

I want to connect on a rare occasion when I need to check and send E mail.(I will surf the web when I am in a free WI FI campground)
I have no idea in the world how much it would cost me if I had to pay 1 1/2 cents a KB to check my E Mail.
Verizon has told me begrudgingly after many pointed questions that I could purchase a unlimited minute Dial up type service with them without a 2 year commitment and just pay $59.99 a month for the time I used the service (as long as I had a cell phone plan with them also)
This seems to be the best choice or I just do without unless I can hook up through my dial up ISP like some say is possible.

Can someone help me make some sense out of all this?
Aloha from Kauai
Leon ( DBA Pineapple Kid )
Pineapple Kid Kauai, Hawaii

2013 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel (In California)
2003 Jayco 243RKS fifth wheel (In California)
Right Hand drive Sprinter Motorhome ( in Netherlands )