cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell phone service while traveling in Canada

ron4adams
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked for an appropriate thread and apologize if I missed the relevant discussion. I am using Tracfone as my cell service and am very pleased with the service. However, it provides no service while visiting Canada. I will be traveling throughout Ontario the entire month of June and am looking for the least expensive option for having some cell service during that time. My main concern is in the event of a breakdown and needing to contact my emergency road service. Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Use of a compute for phone calls. Get a Google Voice number in USA and have your phones call forwarded to it.
Burner phone in canada, only works in big cities.
We purchased a SIM card for our UnLocked phone and use that for emergencies. Bu again cities only. Best thing is if you tow a car, ensure fuel is full and drive it for emergencies
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
OP (ron4adams)...if you're using a smartphone, you might want to take it along. You can still use the camera, and if you have wifi (hotels, restaurants, libraries), you can always use Skype. My wife went to Europe and Mexico last summer and we used Skype every day to stay in touch. No cost.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Verizon has several plans that allow you to use your phone. Price varies on useage.

Check you carrier - I believe they all offer some International calling plan when OUT of the US and calling IN. Good luck

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We did not bother with phone service for Canada and had our Verizon phones off. We informed family and friends that the phones would be off and that we would check email whenever we had free wifi which was frequently. We were traveling to Alaska and much of the Yukon does not have phone service (at least in 2014). We had great Verizon service in Alaska. If you do not get a plan that includes Canada, be careful when crossing back to the US. If you are too close to the border, the phone will ping on a Canadian tower and cost you a chunk of money.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use Tracfone prepaid in USA and Telus prepaid in Canada. Wireless rates in Canada are horrendous regardless of which company / plan you use.

ron4adams
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. I had already considered the option of purchasing another phone+plan, but would like to avoid that if possible. I already have three unused Trac phones in a drawer due to my "need" for a different phone. I have requested that the company unlock one of these phones but they claim that they cannot do that. I guess I don't understand the technology well enough to question their resistance to my request.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Verizon has a plan for $2 a day that is only charged the days you use it. It supposedly gives you everything you have in the US but allows you to use it in Canada. That's much better than the Global plan we had to use last Summer while in Calgary and the Canadian Rockies. Every time I go to My Verizon they nag me about it.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
My AT&T GoPhone worked well in BC, AB, SK and ON... didn't appear to cost anything extra either... $0.02/min USD for voice, $0.25 per text... to Canadian or US numbers.

My Verizon phone was eager to work, but the rates were shocking
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
You could try Speakout, it is available up here too at 7-11. They seem to be consistently one of the cheapest options for Pay as you go up here.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stop at the first WalMart you see avross the border and buy another disposable phone with maybe 50 minutes.