cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell phone signal amplifiers

twotoes
Explorer
Explorer
The RV resort I am staying in has free wifi but it is very slow. I want to use my iPad as a hot spot but I am only getting 3G on the iPad. Is there a cell signal antenna available that will boost my signal to 4G?
7 REPLIES 7

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Is the Ipad 4g Capable? If so, a booster might help. As mentioned earlier, they are not magic. There must be some signal to boost. Some models have more signal boost ability than others. Correct antenna placement is also very important. If you are on the edge of 4g it should work. There is a good possibility of the booster assisting the current 3g. One of my booster's is all 4g(lte), all 3g and all 1x.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many smartphones have app that can tell you details of your signal strength. Wilson Electronics current systems will not boost signals worse than -99 db, there is too much noise (I was told this by techs at Wilson and confirmed with cell engineer). Of course you need to be getting the 4G signal to start with before you can see details of that signal strength.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Just to make it clear - a 3G signal does not turn into 4G with more signal strength. They are two different transmissions, with different frequencies, tower antennas, etc. If you are in an area only covered by 3G, that is all you will get. If you are in a location that has good 3G coverage & weak 4G, a signal booster may help, but it is not going to turn 3G into 4G.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at
http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/
They make a variety of options and some are in the couple hundred dollars range. There are a number of threads as well on antenna mounting options like on the top of a batwing antenna, on the ladder, on a telescopic flag pole etc...
Generally though, an signal booster will only improve an existing signal, it will not make a signal where there is none or if they only have 3G in the area, it will not give you 4G. Keep in mind that 3G with good signal strength will get you around DSL speeds and a signal booster could be the difference between really slow 3G and fast 3G.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

MrWizard
Is your iPad 3g only?
Or does it have 4g , but you cannot get a signal ?

A 4g capable amp with external antenna, might get you a signal if you are on the fringe area of 4g
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
The only one is the one built by the phone company. Use this interactive map to see if there is one in a reasonable distance:

http://opensignal.com/
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
no
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)