cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cell phone spam

realladyat57
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting a lot of ads and such on my cell phone. Is there a way to block them? I have an Android phone from Verizon. Thanks.
MaryAnne
40 REPLIES 40

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
For Verizon smart phone users with Android Nougat, there is a native solution. Recents > touch the offending call > touch Details > touch the 3 dot icon (top right) > touch Block Number.
I currently am blocking 60 numbers so no limit as yet.

Previously I used Call Control-Call Blocker from the Google Play Store.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
BobKrogstie wrote:
The Do Not Call Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines. To register by telephone, call 1-888-382-1222 (TTY: 1-866-290-4236). You must call from the phone number that you want to register. To register online (donotcall.gov), you will have to respond to a confirmation email.

According to the news I saw on TV today, the do not call registry isn't working for most people. Something's broken? Verizon allows me to block up to 20 numbers. I've already filled that slot. I foil other spammers by adding their numbers to my contact list, then adjusting my ringer not to ring on those numbers. There should be strict penalties imposed on these jerks when they're caught! :M
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
The topic is Not email spam
My phone is linked to Gmail account
I get very few robo calls or text spam
Two or three a month....

Yup I know that.
My comments were directed that they get the phone number from email accounts that have been sold. phone numbers attached to email account, purchases on line, forms and/or linked to the phone.

IMHO the more you buy on line or fill out forms on line the more text spams one will get. Other than auto robo calling there is no really way they can get your phone number except when its attached to an email account. How else do you explain that the spam texts usually related to an interest you have or something you've bought on line?

Heck Yahoo is almost insisting you give them your phone number for ""added Security" reasons. Its hard pressed to open a new yahoo account without giving them a phone number. Facebook is now trying to shove that down everyones throat too.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

MrWizard
The topic is Not email spam
My phone is linked to Gmail account
I get very few robo calls or text spam
Two or three a month

Email spam, most of it is caught and sent to the spam box by Gmail
Makes no difference Android tablet, the PC, or phone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
BobKrogstie wrote:
The Do Not Call Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines. To register by telephone, call 1-888-382-1222 (TTY: 1-866-290-4236). You must call from the phone number that you want to register. To register online (donotcall.gov), you will have to respond to a confirmation email.

I honestly believe the spammers buy the do not call lists because they know they are valid numbers. I swear my spam calls increased exponentially when I signed up on the do not call list.

X2

I just laughed when they came up with this do not call list!

Does anyone left in the world truly believe that the do not call list is not sold?

Not to mention they require your email to do so. Bamm! There is the other list that is sold, your email, which, wait for it, is now tied to your phone.

It is not a mystery how they get your phone number and email these lists are sold by all every internet minute to the spammers.

It is the reason I will not add my phone number to a do not call list.

Going on 3 years now using my method and I have ZIP ZERO spam in my email in box, and ZIP ZERO spam texts and/or robo calls on the cell.

Sync your email to a cell phone and you WILL be spammed filled to the hilt seven ways to Sunday. :W

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I use showcaller, it has been working well!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Unless you absolutely have a dire need to have an email address on your phone.....the way to avoid all those ads is to NOT put an email address attached to your phone.

THAT has nothing to do with phone calls and text messages.
WHOLE different animal.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
gafidler wrote:
if you don't recognize the number don't answer...

I used to do that.
Then we moved to a "retirement community" and my new friends come from all over the place.....and so do their phone numbers.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
BobKrogstie wrote:
The Do Not Call Registry accepts registrations from both cell phones and land lines.

And that is a joke.

Do you REALLY think that scammers running what amounts to theft rings will really pay attention to the "do not call" regulations ??

Hint: I think they actually USE the list to program into their robo-dialers.

I've been on the list since it started.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
BobKrogstie wrote:

I honestly believe the spammers buy the do not call lists because they know they are valid numbers. I swear my spam calls increased exponentially when I signed up on the do not call list.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Unless you absolutely have a dire need to have an email address on your phone.....the way to avoid all those ads is to NOT put an email address attached to your phone. Especially if you buy a lot of stuff off the internet and provide your email address. They sell your info and THAT is how you get all that crapola on your phone.

My first iPhone I immediately set up an email address for it like many do. Till the day I shut that phone off I got tons and tons of ads, texts etc.

When I told Apple I did not want to supply an email when they were setting my acct up they said I had to and that in no way did they sell email info........I walked out the door of the apple store and by the time I got to my car I had 10 advertising texts. :R Go figure.

Just bought a new phone without a contract. It does not have my name or email address attached to it. Result?
ZIP, ZERO ads, texts, or robo calls, etc.

If you don't set up an email on the phone it can't connect you to all the purchases etc you use your email for on line. That in turn they sell your email info to the cell phone ad hound spammers.

This reminds me of years ago when we had a land line. It got to the point where every day they were calling around 5 pm. Newt Gingrich office kept calling me and i was still polite and told him to stop calling. He told me to be quite and listen to what he had to say. That was the fuse on the Cannon and it would have made a sailor blush. I also told him I'm going to find out where their office is so I can explain it better in person. No more calls from old newties people and the end of the landline. Then over the years the same bs started with the cell phones. Not as bad but just different. Mr number has worked really well for me.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you absolutely have a dire need to have an email address on your phone.....the way to avoid all those ads is to NOT put an email address attached to your phone. Especially if you buy a lot of stuff off the internet and provide your email address. They sell your info and THAT is how you get all that crapola on your phone.

My first iPhone I immediately set up an email address for it like many do. Till the day I shut that phone off I got tons and tons of ads, texts etc.

When I told Apple I did not want to supply an email when they were setting my acct up they said I had to and that in no way did they sell email info........I walked out the door of the apple store and by the time I got to my car I had 10 advertising texts. :R Go figure.

Just bought a new phone without a contract. It does not have my name or email address attached to it. Result?
ZIP, ZERO ads, texts, or robo calls, etc.

If you don't set up an email on the phone it can't connect you to all the purchases etc you use your email for on line. That in turn they sell your email info to the cell phone ad hound spammers.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
mikim wrote:
I second Mr. Number as an app.

For IPhones NoMoRobo is available.

which seems to be for Android only. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Also available for iPhone now - my DW has it on her 5c - 19.99/year.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mikim wrote:
I second Mr. Number as an app.

For IPhones NoMoRobo is available.

which seems to be for Android only. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Cameo_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
I use V Blocker from the app store. Works great at catching the robo calls but allows for voice mail if its legit.
2002 Carriage Cameo F35CKB
2005 Chevy 3500 LT, CCLB 6.6L Diesel 4X4