cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Choosing a service to download (not stream) tv shows?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many options-- What do you use? What services offer a good deal?

I want no ads, don't mind a fee comparable to netflix. I am often in places where streaming isn't practical.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
41 REPLIES 41

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
To be fair, "free" is not the same as "complimentary".

The wobbly wide web has morphed into something quite different than the old days of dial up internet. I used to listen to BBC radio plays on 1/4 dial up speed. Now, I think it would be nearly impossible at full dial up speeds.

I've been in McDonalds when there were several many laptops and now phones in use. The web surely wobbles under that sort of load.

I thought I had my bandwidth issues solved--but now that has turned out to be "not so". I'll have to go back to parking where there is "complimentary" internet and use my wifi booster. That in turn consumes more electricity.

I do know the local year round campground in Regina, Sk has throttled their connection to the web. The speed now is about the same as 2G on a cell phone.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Western is always making assumption that others are less smart and considerate than he is. Feel free to ignore in this thread ๐Ÿ˜‰
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

MrWizard
Every conversation, you Assume it is RV park Wi-Fi
A person can be band width limited, on cellular data, because of fringe reception or heavy tower traffic, time of day etc..
More and more members here are using their own internet connection
The last time I used campground Wi-Fi was 3 years ago at the beach 20 miles from nowhere, because it was the only internet available
My phone did not have a connection there, and I did not stream any Netflix etc.. While there

westernrvparkowner wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
As a practical matter, it will use up the same amount of data to download a show as it takes to stream it. If it is impractical to stream due to data limits, it probably won't help you.

If you are bandwidth limited, as I am today. You can often download for later viewing, may take 2-4 hours per hour of video but it can be done.
If bandwidth is limited, nothing is more inconsiderate of your fellow RVers than setting your device to download a bunch of data effectively shutting out all of the other users in the park. Thankfully, there is effective software and router settings that can block and disconnect such usage.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeroo wrote:
Naio the other possibility I know of is a service called nightshift. It allows downloading of Netflix products into a thumb drive for viewing later. The company requires a specific wifi router and charged a monthly fee.
www.gonightshift.com
It was ok but after Netflix started allowing downloading I dropped it. What was nice was that with a 100 gig thumb drive, you could have a lot of stuff downloaded.

For those who want to know, this apparently does Netflix only. $99 up front for the router, then monthly subscriptions start at $6.99. I wonder if one could find a used router on ebay?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
Try Playlater a $20 subscription service for downloading Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. It is legal and according to CNET easy to use. https://www.playon.tv/playlater

Looks like it is now $8/month, $30 year!

linky

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much, kerrlakeroo, AJB, and NMDriver for suggesting the subscription services and apps!

For those who worry, I do my downloading for camping viewing on S&B wifi. It is too slow for streaming but I pay for it and am not inconveniencing any other users.

AJB
Explorer
Explorer
In response to GordonThree's comment, true. I'll just plead the Hillary Clinton defense.
Like I said, used it for 3 years with no problems.

http://showboxappdownload.com/download-show-box-apk/

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
For educational purposes of course, as long as you are using open public wifi like Starbucks or McD's Internet connection, who's gonna know?
The other people in the store who can't do anything.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
As a practical matter, it will use up the same amount of data to download a show as it takes to stream it. If it is impractical to stream due to data limits, it probably won't help you.

If you are bandwidth limited, as I am today. You can often download for later viewing, may take 2-4 hours per hour of video but it can be done.
If bandwidth is limited, nothing is more inconsiderate of your fellow RVers than setting your device to download a bunch of data effectively shutting out all of the other users in the park. Thankfully, there is effective software and router settings that can block and disconnect such usage.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Try Playlater a $20 subscription service for downloading Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. It is legal and according to CNET easy to use. https://www.playon.tv/playlater
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Showbox is technically not legal in the United States or Canada. If you're located somewhere that does not participate in international copyright enforcement treaties, then by all means, it's a valid app.

It is the modern equivalent to running a hacked cable or sat box back in the 80's

For educational purposes of course, as long as you are using open public wifi like Starbucks or McD's Internet connection, who's gonna know?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
AJB wrote:
I have been using "Showbox" for three years without any problems or concerns. You can download a large variety of tv or movies and it's free.

Since Showbox does not seem to be on the play store, do you have a 'safe' link to a download?

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

AJB
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using "Showbox" for three years without any problems or concerns. You can download a large variety of tv or movies and it's free.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Naio the other possibility I know of is a service called nightshift. It allows downloading of Netflix products into a thumb drive for viewing later. The company requires a specific wifi router and charged a monthly fee.
www.gonightshift.com
It was ok but after Netflix started allowing downloading I dropped it. What was nice was that with a 100 gig thumb drive, you could have a lot of stuff downloaded.