Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Computer data ??

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

Is there a way to get services like Netflix in a park that does not have wifi? I have a jetpack but the data is low. If I was to use it for something like Netflex it would cost way to much. Any ideas ?

Thank you,
Dave
29 REPLIES 29

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ropdoc wrote:
Hello all,

Is there a way to get services like Netflix in a park that does not have wifi? I have a jetpack but the data is low. If I was to use it for something like Netflex it would cost way to much. Any ideas ?

Thank you,
Dave

No, there are only 2 ways. WiFi and your jetpack. If you want unlimited TV you can subscribe to DirecTV or Dish and buy the necessary hardware to receive the satellite signal.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon Prime Service now offers downloading of movies and TV shows for viewing offline. Just make sure you download everything you need before you get away from a reliable network.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
bwanshoom wrote:
Right, as far as movies are concerned it's illegal, regardless of the fact that you can buy software that does it.

Illegal yes... so is driving 71 in a 70 mph zone in the middle of the desert.
The question was what are the legal ways of ripping DVDs. Anyone is free to do as they choose, legal or otherwise.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
bwanshoom wrote:
Right, as far as movies are concerned it's illegal, regardless of the fact that you can buy software that does it.

Illegal yes... so is driving 71 in a 70 mph zone in the middle of the desert.

Teccora
Explorer
Explorer
We have opted out of the "streaming" solution because of cost (mifi) and burden on the local wifi network as mentioned above. Two solutions: we DVR from our DISH box onto an external hard drive which gives us plenty of "current" tv. We also use RedBox quite a bit. It is very flexible. Pick it up in one town and drop it off in the next. Runs about $2 / night for the rental.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
I have ripped all my movies to a NAS in my home to watch without having to put the dvd in a player. I believe that as long as I am not making copies to sell I am within my rights. Unlike some I have seen that rent a dvd from redox and rip a copy for themselves and then are bright enough to post on the internet what they are doing. If I have to use the dvd every time, they can get worn and after a time become useless. Unless they are going to give me a new dvd every time one wears out I will go back to using a player.

The software I have is free and works very well for this purpose. I can then put a good number of movies on one of our laptops to take with and connect to whichever tv I am watching at the time.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

MrWizard
I do it any way
Many places in this USA say you can't spank your kids
I did that anyway and they turned out pretty good
We are a nation with a lot of stupid laws
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
catch 22 , fair use laws says you have the right to have a backup of what you bought

DRM law that the movie industry lobbied and got pushed through
says its illegal to break the copy protection on the DVD

yet you can legally buy the software that will copy the movies to your hard drive

yet according to DRM doing this illegal
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

MrWizard
catch 22 , fair use laws says you have the right to have a backup of what you bought

DRM law that the movie industry lobbied and got pushed through
says its illegal to break the copy protection on the DVD

yet you can legally buy the software that will copy the movies to your hard drive

yet according to DRM doing this illegal
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
What are the legal ways to rip purchased DVDs to digital format, say H.264 for Windows based systems?
Legal? None.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

APT
Explorer
Explorer
What are the legal ways to rip purchased DVDs to digital format, say H.264 for Windows based systems?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
2 TB hdd and rip all your DVDs to it. $90 at Tigerdirect. $135 for a 4 TB drive. Plug into your TV via USB and watch what you want. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

more difficult to do on newer DVD's. requires some special software to crack the built in security. But yea, I have a 2TB drive in the TT and a larger server with internet access at the house that I can DL or stream from using my own hotspot.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
It would surprise me if free wifi hotspots (especially libraries) allowed downloading movies.

Some libraries have good professional Information Technicians and the budget to put in a system that can do the job right and even block some URL's (None of which I'll ever type) completely.

Others barely know how to open the box and plug in a router.

In fact.. One campground I frequent, this has changed since (thanks to me telling the manager about it) but many people were having problems logging in,, I'd set them up with a manual IP address and directions on setting it back to automatic later and no problem.

Finally I decided to check things out.. Turns out LINKSYS on their home/small office routers defauolt is 50 DHCP clients.. I changed it to 100 (yes the default password logged me in) and it worked much better,,, less folks needed manual set up

Of course one woman I had to log in manually ask what the problem was

When they first set it up it was nearly all laptops but now it's laptops game machines, PDAs. Cell phones.. I logged in downloaded the DHCP client list which included SUZIE's I PHONE.

yup. she was Suzie.

After a new manager took over and I tole him about it... I logged him into the NEW PASSWORD page.. then left the office while he changed the admin password.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Ropdoc wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you,
Dave

2 TB hdd and rip all your DVDs to it. $90 at Tigerdirect. $135 for a 4 TB drive. Plug into your TV via USB and watch what you want. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member