cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connecting the iPad?

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
At home we have a network, which is how all of our computers, iPads and phones connect. Both of our phones also have data plans, which we use outside the house.

My question is regarding connecting the iPad to the Internet when away from home. Is there any way for me to connect the iPad to my iPhone, so I can use the iPhone's data?

I could just use the iPhone when out, but the screen and keyboard are so darned small, so I prefer the iPad.

Thanks! Jules
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS
Let the adventures begin!
12 REPLIES 12

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
NekkidFish wrote:
dan-nickie wrote:
Apple explains it all for you here: IOS Apple HotSpot

Thank you!!

You are very welcome.
Glad I could help.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
dan-nickie wrote:

Thank you!!

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
8iron wrote:
I live in Canada where admittedly our cell technology lags behind the rest of the developed world but I have never heard of being blocked from hotspotting another device by a carrier. Is this common?

With ATT and iPhone it is an optional plan. I use my 5S as a hotspot so my wife and I can use our iPads when we camp and there is no wifi.

Turn off the plan and you can't do it.

In the old days I tethered my laptop via USB cable before they figured it out.

I THINK if you jailbreak your phone you can still tether and use your laptop as a hotspot.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
8iron wrote:
I live in Canada where admittedly our cell technology lags behind the rest of the developed world but I have never heard of being blocked from hotspotting another device by a carrier. Is this common?

I can't help with that, since I don't know what you mean. ??

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
M GO BLUE wrote:
Pdanet along with Foxfi...download both apps for free

I just did a search for those two apps and came up with nothing. :h

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Pdanet along with Foxfi...download both apps for free

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
ed6713 wrote:
We do this all the time with the Hot Spot feature on the iPhone.
An optional feature that will cost you a monthly fee. As I recall, you can turn the Hot Spot feature on and off so if you only need this feature during your travel months, that's all you pay for.

Ed, is this like an app? Or do I have to go to a Verizon store to have it added?

Hubby has a hot spot thing, but when I have tried to use it in the past when in the RVs we rented, it just never had a good signal.

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
We do this all the time with the Hot Spot feature on the iPhone.
An optional feature that will cost you a monthly fee. As I recall, you can turn the Hot Spot feature on and off so if you only need this feature during your travel months, that's all you pay for.
๐Ÿ™‚

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suppose it depends on your carrier,I have the ATT mobile share plan and my iPad is on it just like my phones. So every where I go I can connect to the internet if there is service, so far it has worked flawlessly.

The bigger screen sure is nice.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
If your iPhone has a data plan which allows you to utilize it's HOTSPOT feature, you certainly cann connect the iPad to it. On your iPhone, select SETTINGS --- PERSONAL HOTSPOT and see if it allows you to turn it on. With most grandfathered UNLIMITED plans, you cannot.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King