cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost of FCC 2-Way-Radio License

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I bought a pair of Midland GXT1000VP4 GMRS Two-Way Radios so my wife and I can communicate with each other when she is hiking and I am at our campsite. Now I see that the box says "FCC License Required."

Apparently there is a cost of $70 just to submit an application. And I have no idea what the license costs or how long it is good.

And it seems that we can't even try out the radios to see if they are suitable for the intended purpose and return them if they are not without paying the FCC a bunch of money. HELP!

Can you clue me in as to what I got myself into, what it will cost, and how to avoid paying a bunch of $ to the FCC if we decide these won't be suitable for us?

Thanks.
35 REPLIES 35

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to the product details, these radios have a 36-mile range over flat ground, so you should be able to get a couple miles of range even if it's hilly. You don't say where DW is hiking, whether around the CG or on park trails, vs. up in the mountains.

I have a set of the lower-power FRS radios and you're lucky to get one mile of range in a forested area.

I would try the radios and see if they will work in your environment at the distances you want. If you decide to keep them, send in the $70 and get the license, if not return them and don't bother with the license.

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
We have a set but don't use them much, several years old Midland brand. Some of the channels on the radios are the lower power channels that do not require a license, use them as you will. Not much range but still useable. Jim.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thought it was 80 (Back when I had one) the appliccation cost is the only cost.

Fine for not having one 2,000/day
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
using the GMRS requires a license. and youโ€™re supposed to have the license before using them. you have better odds of winning powerball than getting caught trying out your equipment. however, a GMRS handheld commnicating with another GMRS handhels will have a useful range of several miles over flat terrain with no obstructions..trees, hills, buildings, etc. useful range will drop
off fast in urban, woody or hilly areas. caution: the Family Radio Service (FRS) uses frequencies in the same range as GMRS. your GMRS radios may be able to operate on the FRS frequencies. radios operating on FRS channels must do so at lower power. your GMRS radio may have the option to operate on FRS channels but check your ownerโ€™s manual.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
The cost for the GMRS license is still $70.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2021/03/new-fcc-license-fees-to-take-effect-april-2021.html
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
AFAIK the GMRS fee is $70/family for 10 years. And AFAIK this applies for 1 day or 10 years of usage per the rules and frankly I wouldn't even consider attempting to getting any paid fee refunded... You can Google GMRS to confirm.

Don't know it these radios will work for your situation due to low power and restricted range like trees and hills,
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob