cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct TV Receiver

dennisgt60
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to switch sticks n' bricks over to Direct TV in anticipation of summer 2014 travel plans.

At DTV install at home, should I request a specific make/model receiver install, thereby enabling me to just bring the S&B receiver along in the RV?

In other words, will just any make/model receiver in Direct TV's inventory work both at home as well as in the RV?

Thanks, Dennis
2012 F-250 XLT, 6.2L, 4x4, CC, Standard Bed, 10,000lb. GVWR, 3.73 Axle.
Truck CAT Wt. 7,120 lbs.
Stated payload max. 2,881 lbs.
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8282ws.
17 REPLIES 17

docj
Explorer
Explorer
schneid wrote:

Also, if you qualify for DNS, DirecTV will still provide you their Locals at the "Service Address" on your bill. They are are part of your package and you cannot ditch them and get a credit. Must be another FCC rule to prop up local TV stations. Mine were on the 119 and I just use an SL3 LNB and can'tget them even if I was under them. If you go with a Trav'ler SK-SWM and your Locals are under the 119, you can't get them either. But, you will pay for them.

We've changed our service address a couple of times this year for some of our longer duration stays. So far we've had no problems doing so.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that want both worlds consisting of DNS and Locals don't forget the AM21. An AM21 will tune OTA digital broadcasts and allow the newer receivers since 2007 or so to record the programming. Of course you will need a suitable antenna to capture the signal. This combo allows you to tune true uncompressed OTA HDTV anywhere you have signal. DirecTV Locals are compressed and some quality is lost in the process. Most notable watching outdoor sporting events. An AM21 allows you local broadcasts at home and where you are parked so long as you have signal.

Also, if you qualify for DNS, DirecTV will still provide you their Locals at the "Service Address" on your bill. They are are part of your package and you cannot ditch them and get a credit. Must be another FCC rule to prop up local TV stations. Mine were on the 119 and I just use an SL3 LNB and can'tget them even if I was under them. If you go with a Trav'ler SK-SWM and your Locals are under the 119, you can't get them either. But, you will pay for them.

dennisgt60
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks to each of you for all your input. My wife and I look forward to our upcomming retirement this year and hitting the RV road. It's good to know that we have the good folks here to help educate us as we begin a new chapter in our lives. Happy travels!
Truck CAT Wt. 7,120 lbs.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Docj wrote:
It's my understanding that your billing address (not service address) determines the DNS feed you receive (east or west); that's true for the folks I know who have it.

This was not true in my case. I had DNS in years past but had discontinued a few years ago. I sent in a new affidavit within the last year and called a few weeks after to reinstate DNS service, thinking I could only qualify for NY network channels. Got East and West both, but I am paying $20/month extra. I believe, if I remember correctly, I could have opted for NY only for $15/month. It has been pretty nice during football season to get a choice of several NFL feeds.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
docj wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
If you are new betcha they push the genie on you. They tout it as the latest and greatest. Will install a genie server and the rest genie clients. Can't just take a receiver you have to put the main genie server in you rig for it to work.

Why is it any more difficult to put the "main Genie" in your RV than it is any other receiver? I agree that if someone is still at the house they will no longer have TV, but other than that, there shouldn't be any problem with doing this.

For me because we leave our rv in WY and travel the 140 miles on long weekends. I leave a receiver up there. Some times I go earlier and my wife goes later.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
dennisgt60 wrote:
HD reception not a must.

This makes it easy. Buy a D12 receiver. It is SD only, but will work with every antenna on the market. Since it is SD only, it only needs to see the 101 satellite, so an 18" round antenna is all you really need, but you can get any of the domes/automatic antennas that work with Directv. Be careful, a few only work with Dish Network.

With this setup, you can forget SWM/Genie/all the other latest and greatest, but it works great. This is the setup I have, and have had for the last 6 years. The first 5 years with a tripod mounted 18" round dish, the last year, with a Vuqube VQ2100 automatic.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
First of all, pay very little attention to any post that says DON'T or NEVER, SHOULD NOT or similar wording. Rarely is anything related to satellite TV that clear cut.
For what you want to do it sounds like you will be using the satellite service at home more often than you will be using it in your RV so a home installation is EXACTLY (sorry, kidding) what you want to do.
Once you have the home system setup you can simply move the receiver from the house to the RV for you travels. The only slight "got ya" would be if you have DirecTV install a Genie and multiple clients on your other TV's. This system required special antenna hardware (the SWM thing) but even that can be dealt with for about $100. If you want to use a portable automatic antenna then you just want to ensure that DirecTV sets you up with at least one receiver with a model number of H24 or lower so you don't have any issues. If you find that you really like your new Genie (a DVR with 5 separate tuners and very cool!) then it's just a matter of buying the right antenna for your RV and you are, again, ready to go.
Edit: Spelling....
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

docj
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
If you are new betcha they push the genie on you. They tout it as the latest and greatest. Will install a genie server and the rest genie clients. Can't just take a receiver you have to put the main genie server in you rig for it to work.

Why is it any more difficult to put the "main Genie" in your RV than it is any other receiver? I agree that if someone is still at the house they will no longer have TV, but other than that, there shouldn't be any problem with doing this.
Sandie & Joel

dennisgt60
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate your responses and do need the help.

We plan to snowbird beginning between Jan and mid-March beginning 2015. Summer of 2014 we'll RV primarily weekends and holidays.

We are TV junkies forr sure.

HD reception not a must.

I just bought a ROKU and haven't yet fully explored ROKU capabilities.

Will be purchasing our first RV (Fifth Wheel) this spring. Don't want to rely on campground wi-fi .

I'm clueless regarding antenna technology. I'm guessing I'll prefer a portable model and point it.

What's an open face antenna? What does SWM mean?

Please give me your recommendations relative to antenna options and cost range.

Thanks again,

Dennis
Truck CAT Wt. 7,120 lbs.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

docj
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

An RV account qualifies.. Here is another suggestion,, IF you have a DVR of any kind subscribe to the DNS city on the OTHER side of the country.. That way you get two shots at Prime Time,, In eastern time that is 8-11 pm and 11p to 2am

In Pacific it's 5-8 and 8-11 PM. You can double your pleasure when at or close to home.

What I did by the way (But then I did not have Sat in house).

It's my understanding that your billing address (not service address) determines the DNS feed you receive (east or west); that's true for the folks I know who have it.

Until we got our Genie DVR (HR44) I used to have to juggle recording "slots" and would have liked to have had both DNS feeds. However, with the ability to record and/or watch 5 channels at the same time, we have yet to encounter that problem since installing it.
Sandie & Joel

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You SHOULD not get DTV for your home.. Get it for your RV, then put the spare receiver(s) in the house (you will need to either obtain your own antenna (Dish) for the house or use the portable one for the RV and you will need to do your own cabling...

Why is this: Home accounts do not qualify for Distant network Service (DNS) and thus since locals are usually spot beamed, if you move too far from home you can't get those all important daytime drama shows (Or evening action and mystery shows).

An RV account qualifies.. Here is another suggestion,, IF you have a DVR of any kind subscribe to the DNS city on the OTHER side of the country.. That way you get two shots at Prime Time,, In eastern time that is 8-11 pm and 11p to 2am

In Pacific it's 5-8 and 8-11 PM. You can double your pleasure when at or close to home.

What I did by the way (But then I did not have Sat in house).

What I do now.. I have so much over the air TV I can't watch it all, Had to haul about 200 hours of movies off the one DVR and store 'em on this laptop (Which has the space for now) and try to find time to watch 'em when in the land of no good TV later.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like Bill.Satellite referenced tangentially, the first decision is what antenna will you use? The choice of antenna can significantly impact the choice of receiver. Only a few portable antennae support a Directv HD receiver.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Way to many options to answer your question. 1-4 receivers, HD or not, DVR or not, genie or not ?????? I take my basic receiver D12-100 and my THR22-10 HD/DVR/Tivo from the house to the MH. I run two cables to the DVR so no need for SWM.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...