cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disappointment With Great Call

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Due to a medical issue I need to wear a medical alert device whenever I'm up and about. So, I went with the Great Call Splash device. The first one was defective and needed to be retuned under warranty after only a very short usage period. Well, the second unit recently failed (microphone stopped working so I couldn't communicate with the agent). Now I'm being sent another unit. I can't afford having an undependable alert device since I live alone. I'm hoping the new one will give good service, but I have my reservations.

This isn't the end of my experience with Great Call products. I also purchased their Jitterbug flip phone. The original phone went belly up after only a short time of usage. It would remain on, even when I attempted to shut it off. Now the replacement phone is doing some strange things. This morning I noticed the screen was on even though the phone had been turned off . None of the keys worked, either. On a whim, I removed and re-inserted the battery, which evidently reset the phone so now it's working.

I never had trouble with my approx 10 yr old phone from Verizon. The main reason I went with Jitterbug was the larger keys and screen. I do like the phone and can only hope it will give good service. But judging from past experience, I'm somewhat doubtful. To their credit, custmer service has been helpful and pleasant to work with, although hold times are extremely long.

I feel part of the problem lies with Great Call being a fairly new company, and many bugs have yet to be worked out.
Rant over...
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
3 REPLIES 3

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I seriously considered going back to Verizon. But I decided to give Great Call another chance. There are certain features I like about the Jitterbug phone that I'd like to keep, such as the 5 star emergency service. I feel the company has been trying hard in my case since I've contacted them so many times. If the devices fail again I'll no doubt make a change.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why are you even thinking of sticking with them when you have been let down repeatedly? Things tend to fail at the worst possible moment You will have little confidence from now on.
Get another provider and be done with it.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure you can buy your own phone with a larger keypad and activate it with whatever company you want. Like with prepaid minutes or an actual contract. No need to stick with just Jitterbug.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS