cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish network eastern arc???

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
A member on another forum posted that his dish network installer gave home an additional LNB for the Eastern ARC satellites for his stationary ground dish, this way he could switch them as needed. I'm wondering the possibilities of getting an Eastern LNB for use on a Trav'ler antenna?
15 REPLIES 15

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Larry337 wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
Larry337 wrote:
Slightly off topic but related...I have an automatic Winegard Pathway 2 that is capable of picking up western or eastern arc. I have only used it twice. Both times I picked up the western arc by aiming roughly 220 deg. Roughly speaking, where would I aim the dish to pickup the eastern arc?

You don't aim a Pathway x2. When you place it outside you point the handle to the north, then the antenna finds which ever set of satellites you have selected during setup, eastern arc or western arc.

If you are trying to find the relative location of the eastern arc satellites then subtract 50 to 60 degrees from the western arc heading.

Sorry I should have worded the question differently, I'm used to manually aiming my dish. When I point my handle north and the dish locks on to the eastern arc what general direction will it find the satellites? Are they also in the south western sky?

They are along the Eastern Coast so you need a clear SE view.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Larry337
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
TechWriter wrote:

I think the trick would be to determine what WA sat the Travler uses to tune in 61.5ยฐ in Manual Mode.

Then . . . maybe . . .
It tunes to the center LNB. The 119ยบ sat on WA. I tested it. I set it to 61.5 manually and put aluminum foil on the outer LNB's.
Don't forget about the skew. If you are on the east coast, only about 3ยบ is needed.

Good to know,thank you!
COUGAR 337FLS
FORD F350 DUALLY

az99
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:

I think the trick would be to determine what WA sat the Travler uses to tune in 61.5ยฐ in Manual Mode.

Then . . . maybe . . .
It tunes to the center LNB. The 119ยบ sat on WA. I tested it. I set it to 61.5 manually and put aluminum foil on the outer LNB's.
Don't forget about the skew. If you are on the east coast, only about 3ยบ is needed.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Larry337 wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
Larry337 wrote:
Slightly off topic but related...I have an automatic Winegard Pathway 2 that is capable of picking up western or eastern arc. I have only used it twice. Both times I picked up the western arc by aiming roughly 220 deg. Roughly speaking, where would I aim the dish to pickup the eastern arc?

You don't aim a Pathway x2. When you place it outside you point the handle to the north, then the antenna finds which ever set of satellites you have selected during setup, eastern arc or western arc.

If you are trying to find the relative location of the eastern arc satellites then subtract 50 to 60 degrees from the western arc heading.

Sorry I should have worded the question differently, I'm used to manually aiming my dish. When I point my handle north and the dish locks on to the eastern arc what general direction will it find the satellites? Are they also in the south western sky?

No, they are in a general heading of 180 to 160 degrees, due south to southeast.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
The Wineguard Trav'ler is NOT programmable for the EA, no matter what lnb you attach to it. This question has come up fairly often and Wineguard has clearly stated that there is NO configuration available. Your only option for the EA is a separate manually aimed dish, or one of the carryouts that is programmable.

Yes, Paul, that's the company line, but there may be a way to "fool" a Travler.

For example, if you put a DISH Travler in Manual Mode, the dish can be made to look for sat 61.5ยฐ using a standard 3 LNB Western Arc 1000.2 dish.

I think you might be able to attach the Eastern Arc 2 LNB. However, this would require modifying the LNB bracket on a Travler.

What makes me think that this could work is that the Eastern Arc 2 LNB attachment for a 1000.2 is unusually wired . . . in a possibly good way: it has 3 sat connections (just like the 1000.2 WA LNBs), but on the 1000.2 EA LNBs 2 of the 3 connections are for the same sat (72.7ยฐ). So there's more of a chance of tuning in sat 72.7ยฐ:

Then . . . maybe . . .
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
The Wineguard Trav'ler is NOT programmable for the EA, no matter what lnb you attach to it. This question has come up fairly often and Wineguard has clearly stated that there is NO configuration available. Your only option for the EA is a separate manually aimed dish, or one of the carryouts that is programmable.

TechWriter wrote:
dbonney wrote:
Getting back to the Trav'ler. You cannot get a LNB for the eastern arc. However, you can manually tune to the 64 satellite and get almost all of the HD channels.

A couple of things . . .

The Eastern Arc (EA) sats are 61.5ยฐ, 72.7ยฐ, and 77ยฐ. There is no 64ยฐ sat

Second, the Winegard Travler is just an automatic 1000.2 dish -- and there is an EA LNB for the 1000.2 (bottom of web page).

I'm pretty sure you could replace the Travler's Western Arc LNB with the EA LNB. But would it work? Love to try it.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Larry337
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
Larry337 wrote:

COUGAR 337FLS
FORD F350 DUALLY

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
Why is it that when you buy a package and it is set for western arc, that you can't receive eastern arc without Dish making the change??

You can. Just do a Check Switch.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
dbonney wrote:
Getting back to the Trav'ler. You cannot get a LNB for the eastern arc. However, you can manually tune to the 64 satellite and get almost all of the HD channels.

A couple of things . . .

The Eastern Arc (EA) sats are 61.5ยฐ, 72.7ยฐ, and 77ยฐ. There is no 64ยฐ sat

Second, the Winegard Travler is just an automatic 1000.2 dish -- and there is an EA LNB for the 1000.2 (bottom of web page).

I'm pretty sure you could replace the Travler's Western Arc LNB with the EA LNB. But would it work? Love to try it.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

dbonney
Explorer
Explorer
Getting back to the Trav'ler. You cannot get a LNB for the eastern arc. However, you can manually tune to the 64 satellite and get almost all of the HD channels. At times, you may also get one of the other satellites (77 or 72) at the same time. If a channel you want is not on 64, then you will have to manually tune to the satellite where the channel is located. Manual mode means it will automatically find only the single satellite.

Hope this helps.
Dale F. Bonney
Pennsylvania State Police - Retired
2016 Ford F350 Power Stroke Diesel DRW
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Larry337 wrote:

Larry337
Explorer
Explorer
COUGAR 337FLS
FORD F350 DUALLY

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
We Cant Wait wrote:
A member on another forum posted that his dish network installer gave home an additional LNB for the Eastern ARC satellites for his stationary ground dish, this way he could switch them as needed. I'm wondering the possibilities of getting an Eastern LNB for use on a Trav'ler antenna?

Despite the previous posters response, the correct answer in NONE!
Sorry but it simply will not work.

Hey Bill. Why is it that when you buy a package and it is set for western arc, that you can't receive eastern arc without Dish making the change?? It seems when you buy the package you should able to get it on either set of satellites.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We Cant Wait wrote:

Despite the previous posters response, the correct answer in NONE!
Sorry but it simply will not work.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?