cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish network internet

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been full time for 16 years and are now buying a home again. We’ve had Dish and when we were at our RV lot in Arizona we used Centurylink for internet.
I’ve read that Dish can provide internet and wonder how that works. Does anyone use them. Seems like it might be more cost effective than two separate carriers. We kind of want to keep Dish cause we really like the hopper.

Any suggestions?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
28 REPLIES 28

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Dish Internet is through their partnership with wired providers in your area so it’s not by Dish satellite but by landline.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
As I thought the choice of which cable to use is up to the homeowner. Each company owns there cable. As I suggested earlier Cox has apparenty concluded that their cable will be superior and pay off in the long run. It certainly has to be expensie to bury the cable to 4,000 homes.

It is a quite complicated mess.

The choice of what hard wired phone or cable company and now hard wired Internet really depends on who was there first with the exclusive territorial contracts all comes back to the beginning of those services.

In the beginning, there was "Ma Bell"..

Hard wired phone cos were all at one time exclusive to "Ma Bell", "Ma Bell" was forcibly dismantled into "Baby Bells" by the Federal Gv.. The stronger Baby bells bought each other up to create what we see now.. The Phone cos owned right of ways, phone poles and such.

Cable cos were at one time exclusive to only cities which needed better TV coverage, to get the cable on the poles they had to approach the city counsels to get exclusive rights to provide the service for a fee and then pay the phone co or electric utility company to use their poles..

Fast forward over time cable cos started adding distance outside of the cities to gain more customers..

Fast forward some more and Phone companies started offering dedicated DSL services and cable cos saw an opportunity to offer cable Internet to existing customers..

Keep in mind, this expansion still meant that existing phone co and cable companies had exclusive territorial rights meaning no other phone co or cable co outside of the area can sell their hardwired services in the areas the existing phone co or cable cos..

The result, well your area is still only served by one hardwired phone co or one hardwired Cable co even for Internet..

If you want hardwired Internet, your choice will come down to only what Phone Co or what Cable co has physical wire or fiber laid near to you.

For example, if you have Comcast cable Internet in your area, your only choice is Comcast Internet. You would not be able to get Cox or any other cable Internet..

For hardwired phone DSL, if there is Centurylink, you won't be able to get ATT DSL, ATT Uverse or any other hardwired Phone co Internet..

It is all about territorial boundaries..

Only wireless delivery methods for Internet like Sat or Cellphone can bypass the territorial boundries..

If you want hardwired Internet, you need to find out what cable co or phone company services are present in the area where you new home will be and contact them directly. Doing this will most likely result in you getting a better deal than trying to use Dish as a third party reseller.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I thought the choice of which cable to use is up to the homeowner. Each company owns there cable. As I suggested earlier Cox has apparenty concluded that their cable will be superior and pay off in the long run. It certainly has to be expensie to bury the cable to 4,000 homes.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Also - in re: COX cable. Cox will probably have an exclusive contract with the city (in AZ). That means, for example - if you would like to have some other company (ex: Spectrum, etc.) .....you can't. (you will even be told by them that you need to contact COX).
I agree when there is only 1 buried cable. In our case there will be 2. I'll see what I can find out.

Bob

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
We use dish network sat internet at home because it is the only thing available to us. They dont actually have their own service. It goes through a company called Viasat. The service sucks. Its expensive, it has data caps, and when there is a storm the internet is out along with the TV so there is nothing to do for entertainment.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Internet through your satellite dish? Haven't seen that yet.

I have a couple different versions of it... First is a different dish (Bigger) next is they deliver internet via alternative means (IE: Cellular, Cable, Twisted pair) and finally there is Sat down, alternative up.

I'd ask 'em how they deliver..

Yes, there is Sat Internet available, but that wasn't the question that the OP asked about.

Dish TV "partners with", in other words DishTV RESELLS the Internet service, they do not own the ISP infrastructure or delivery method and that includes Hughesnet and Viasat.

Another way to think of this is third party cellphone companies which do not own any cell towers/systems/infrastructure. Those third party resellers have agreements with the actual owners of said equipment and infrastructure. Dish gets a portion of the bundle payment back for selling the bundle in the end netting them more profit with no costly infrastructure to maintain.

Dish TV makes a sales pitch to "bundle" services together giving the false impression they are saving you money. In reality the cost will be no real savings and they get the opportunity to hide additional costs for that bundling..

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
Dish partners with a landline provider . They do not provide their own service.

Correct. Also - you may think it will work, as you take your DISH service with you. TV = yes, Internet = no.

Also - in re: COX cable. Cox will probably have an exclusive contract with the city (in AZ). That means, for example - if you would like to
have some other company (ex: Spectrum, etc.) .....you can't. (you will even be told by them that you need to contact COX).

DSL - over phone line - will work - maybe.

Solution - use a hotspot from Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. Shop around for limitations and cost.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:

I have a couple different versions of it... First is a different dish (Bigger) next is they deliver internet via alternative means (IE: Cellular, Cable, Twisted pair) and finally there is Sat down, alternative up.

I'd ask 'em how they deliver..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
Bundled might be cheaper but does it satisfy your needs? From what I've read Dish does not have internet except as bundled with a partner like satellite, cell, cable, etc. Also look at what's available for your future home plus you might want to change providers in the future.

Correct!

Dish is not a direct first party "ISP" (Internet Service Provider).

Here is what Dish says on their website..

"Fast and reliable internet through our trusted partners"

Found HERE

And from the selected prices they listed for some of their partners (and that is only the prices for the Internet service and the Sat service price is separate) there is no "savings" to be gained by bundling other than perhaps saving a stamp every month or only having one huge ugly bill to look forward to every month.

Your best bet is to canvas your local cable and phone companies to see what prices and speeds are available in your area. Cable Cos often will have introductory rate specials for 3-6 months then price goes up but you can often renegotiate some deal after the special rate has finished.

Be aware of data caps if you are planning to do a lot of streaming, very few now days offer truly unlimited data.

On edit.. To give you some idea of cost vs speed..

I am currently on Cable Internet, paying for 200 Mbps down 20 Mbps up, actually getting 256 down and 21 up $100 per month and that is bundled with a landline package that includes unlimited long distance calling. Without the landline the price would be about $80 per month

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dish partners with a landline provider . They do not provide their own service.
Bill

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our AZ community (4000 homes) has Century Link and there are concerns. Cox is now installing fiber optic underground for TV and internet. This is a major project and the main conduit is now completed on our street. Gotta believe COX has concluded they will have significant subscribers for a long term payoff.

For now we still want portability so will continue to use DirecTV and T Mobile.
We have one DTV receiver that records almost everything. Hence we skip the ads when watching. The receiver and recordings travel with us in the RV. That's our choice for now.

Bob

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
DC&MC wrote:
We have been full time for 16 years and are now buying a home again. We’ve had Dish and when we were at our RV lot in Arizona we used Centurylink for internet.
I’ve read that Dish can provide internet and wonder how that works. Does anyone use them. Seems like it might be more cost effective than two separate carriers. We kind of want to keep Dish cause we really like the hopper.

Any suggestions?

Suggest you compare Comcast services. I have bundled TV, phone and internet services. I especially like the internet MBS speed which is generally 500 to 600 MBS.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bundled might be cheaper but does it satisfy your needs? From what I've read Dish does not have internet except as bundled with a partner like satellite, cell, cable, etc. Also look at what's available for your future home plus you might want to change providers in the future.

Bob