cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Network receiver question

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new motorhome and have had Directtv forever. 25 years at least? Almost since they first started. Anyway, they’ve gone way downhill since AT&T took over and may even go under before long. So I had the new motorhome set up for Dish Network.

I just placed my order have Dish installed at my house next week and I’ll get rid of Directv when that’s done. So the question is, I’ll need a receiver for my motorhome. As best I can tell, on the Dish website they recommend the Wally receiver. But I really would like to have a DVR in the motorhome. Does the Hopper work in a motorhome? Can you have a Hopper at home and a Hopper in the motorhome on the same account?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

18 REPLIES 18

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need a travler or equivalent full dish , no domes, to use a hopper.
The wally can easily have a limited dvr ..( one Chanel at a time ) you just add a portable computer hard drive via usb cord to the wally and pay a one time 40$ fee to activate dvr use on all wally tuners on the account. If you do have a travler antenna the wally will have two tuners and record two or watch one record one
Technically you can’t have a hopper in a rv unless you own the hopper , no “free” receiver with contract deal. You need to buy it outright from someone. The hoppers hard drive has a reputation of failing bouncing around in rv’s They won’t cover its breaking. If you do use one be sure to unplug it before moving the rv.
Two hoppers on a single account aren’t supposed to happen but it seems that doesn’t mater if you activate your own hopper ( see above ) .
Bill

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I want to get a receiver just for the motorhome, and my understanding with Dish is you don’t need a separate account. You can add it to your existing account. I think if you go with the Wally, it’s only an extra $7 a month. But I want the DVR so that’s why I’m asking. I get my house DIsh installed next week so I’ll ask the installer then if somebody on here doesn’t know the answer.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Which model dish did you have installed on the motorhome? If it's not a Trav'ler or similar full sized dish but rather one of the dome style dishes, a Wally is the current best receiver choice. The dome style automatic dishes do not work with a Hopper.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good question. We dropped Direct for the same reason and have two Wallys for the house. The guy from Dish said there was no use in having another account for the MH and just take one of the Wallys out of the house and use it when we travel. Interestingly enough, the places we have stayed either have cable or strong wifi and we have not used it yet.
I'm sure they will have a good word for you if you give them a call.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow