cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dish or direct tv?

rvtommy
Explorer
Explorer
The home phone and tv and internet going up!!! What are the choices and what prices are you all paying ?? What is the cheapest and best for the buck you have found?? thanks rvtommy
this is rvtommy
25 REPLIES 25

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Odd how the pricing is all over the place from the same providers.

Yes, you can have DSL without a conventional phone. I use that in my office, with a Phonepower device, it is similar in idea to magicjack but plugs directly into the Ethernet, doesn't require a computer.

We had Comcast cable at home and dish "america's top 200" in the rv ($150 / $64.99)

It took some talking to them, but 6 months ago I got a new dish account at home, a hopper and 3 Joeys, cancelled the RV account, and added the RV's vip211k as an additional outlet at home.
It took some talking to get them to do this, I basically just kept calling until the luck of the draw delivered a customer service rep willing to get past "procedure" and corporate rules and make it happen.

We pay $84.99 for the hopper, 3 joeys, 1 "additional outlet" and America's top 250 programing.

When we go fulltime (day cannot come soon enough) I plan to install the hopper and 2 joey's in the motorhome, my bill will go to ~$64.99.

We've never ever had any problems at all with the hopper or joey's. Ours are not owned, they belong to Dish. If it was locking up, they would be replacing it.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

az99
Explorer
Explorer
DirecTv will continually raise your rate by removing the supposed discounts you get and hope you don't see it on your bill that you get after the charge has been put on your credit card. It is THE most deceptive company I have ever dealt with. Every thing about their billing is meant to deceive and confuse the average customer. Most never question it and just pay.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
K Charles wrote:
If you need internet to get magic jack and you need a phone line to get the internet how does that come out to $20.00 a year?
We have had directv for years and the price is over $100 a month with out HD. I got dish for the TT and it is about 1/2 that. We watch most everything at home on the net with a smart TV or with an antenna and directv will soon be gone.

I am assuming that unless you're living under a rock that you already have an internet connection. Even if you didn't have internet, you can get a minimal connection for $14.99 a month plus the $1.50 for magic Jack and still be ahead. BTW just how do you get on the forums without internet?

Could you give us some more information on this magical mobile internet connection that is available for $14.99/month? Let's not discuss what might be available in a home with cable or DSL but rather a mobile connection that might be available to an RVer.

You probably missed it Bill but this post was about home tv phone and internet service as per original poster.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
The only way I know of to get internet is with DSL and that is over a phone line. If I get rid of the phone line how does the magic jack work? There is no cable on our street and no cell service.

Not sure where you live, but here you can buy the dsl without phone service. Maybe you should ask your provider.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
6 of one and half a dozen of another. Both are comparable. Switch them back and forth ever 2 years and you can keep the "new customer" discounts every time you switch. We've had both, and both are OK. We switched though because Direct would not give any further discounts (to us as existing customers), so we switched to Dish and got all the new customer discounts and the cheaper price. At the end of 2 years, we will switch again.

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
I think either is fine at your home base....but when out in you rig it's Dish hands down.

A satilite is a satilite, it's the programing options that counts
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Roman Duck wrote:
Been with Direct tv since its inception, started paying 29.00 per month, now about 120.00 month. Use verizion for home phone at 60.00 per month. The only hi-speeed internet available is hughesnet Satilite(or other satilite internet providers) cost 64.00 per month. Cable and fios not avaialble.
Recently did a bundle with Verizion with the direct tv bill and was able to reduce my verizion bill down to 19.95 per month.
If you, or anybody else goes to Direct TV send me a private message and I'll save you 10.00 per month for the 1st 10 mos.
Reception quality on DTV is excellant,miminal rain fade occurrance's.
To boot we have DTV in the MH and it's always ready to go for 6.00 extra per month

PS we carry a full service contract on all equipment repair/replacement and service calls to the bricks and sticks, and also at whatever location we're at with the RV. That included in our monthly bill

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Been with Direct tv since its inception, started paying 29.00 per month, now about 120.00 month. Use verizion for home phone at 60.00 per month. The only hi-speeed internet available is hughesnet Satilite(or other satilite internet providers) cost 64.00 per month. Cable and fios not avaialble.
Recently did a bundle with Verizion with the direct tv bill and was able to reduce my verizion bill down to 19.95 per month.
If you, or anybody else goes to Direct TV send me a private message and I'll save you 10.00 per month for the 1st 10 mos.
Reception quality on DTV is excellant,miminal rain fade occurrance's.
To boot we have DTV in the MH and it's always ready to go for 6.00 extra per month

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:
Either will give you great TV. Check out who has the best price for what you watch. I've been with dish for 5 years with no complaints. I was going to switch to Direct to get their introductory pricing. I signed up and called Dish to cancel. They immediately offered me $30 off per month for a year. I declined & they offered me $60 off per month for a year. I stuck with Dish and called Direct back and canceled the new service. It is all a big game, get the best deal you can.

This is what I am planning to do in July when our DISH account 2 year contract is up. Going to Direct, or if I stay with DISH that stupid Hopper and Joey setup is going away and back to individual receivers. Every morning that stupid Hopper freezes up and barely works, making me have to unplug it and let it cycle.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

bmet2000
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Home phone connect thru either ATT or Verizon at 20 dollars a month.

That's crazy. Magic Jack is $20 a year and all the same features. No wait. It has even more features.

Crazy? You also have to pay for an internet connection to make MJ work! Who's crazy now?

My google voice number is free...

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The only way I know of to get internet is with DSL and that is over a phone line. If I get rid of the phone line how does the magic jack work? There is no cable on our street and no cell service.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
powderman426 wrote:
K Charles wrote:
If you need internet to get magic jack and you need a phone line to get the internet how does that come out to $20.00 a year?
We have had directv for years and the price is over $100 a month with out HD. I got dish for the TT and it is about 1/2 that. We watch most everything at home on the net with a smart TV or with an antenna and directv will soon be gone.

I am assuming that unless you're living under a rock that you already have an internet connection. Even if you didn't have internet, you can get a minimal connection for $14.99 a month plus the $1.50 for magic Jack and still be ahead. BTW just how do you get on the forums without internet?

Could you give us some more information on this magical mobile internet connection that is available for $14.99/month? Let's not discuss what might be available in a home with cable or DSL but rather a mobile connection that might be available to an RVer.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
I think either is fine at your home base....but when out in you rig it's Dish hands down.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Either will give you great TV. Check out who has the best price for what you watch. I've been with dish for 5 years with no complaints. I was going to switch to Direct to get their introductory pricing. I signed up and called Dish to cancel. They immediately offered me $30 off per month for a year. I declined & they offered me $60 off per month for a year. I stuck with Dish and called Direct back and canceled the new service. It is all a big game, get the best deal you can.