cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish Pay As You Go Beware!

hindes
Explorer
Explorer
So after several months of "Dish Pay-As-You-Go" in my Class C, I wanted to get Dish in my home (currently a Direct TV customer). I wanted Dish in my home so I could get a better plan in the Class C that would only be $7 a month, since it would be tied to my Dish home account. I called Dish and was told to cancel my Pay-As-You-Go service, wait 24 hours and call back to sign-up for home service. Now after talking to several reps, Dish says I must wait 60 days to sign-up for home service to get their 2 year specials! So, beware! I just gave up & decided to continue to pay for Dish in my RV and Direct tv for my home. They did tell me to call a local retailer and see if they could help me.
12 REPLIES 12

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
First I bought a Dish VIP211k and a 1000.4 dish from various sources, including eBay. After I set that up and had a solid signal, I just called DishForMyRV and set up a Pay-As-You-Go account with the package I wanted. Later on, I bought a Dish Hopper and a Joey on eBay plus some required hookup hardware, and had them added to my existing PAYG account. Now I can shift and shuffle receivers however I want between our coach and upstate NY cottage. Right now we have the Hopper and Joey in the cottage, and the 211k in the coach, all using the same tripod mounted dish. When I get the requisite "roundtoit", I'll install a second permanent pole mount dish so I won't need to set up the portable dish when we come here.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Why? I don't understand the dual service thing? How come you don't take a receiver from home when your on the road? Seems to make far more sense to me.

LOL that would have been the smart thing to do.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When your 60 days is up get Dish for your RV (just not the pay as you go plan),, then use the extra receivers inside the house (you will have to self install).. Just now it matters not.. But some day it might.

RV accounts an move freely from town to town.. House accounts, I"m not so sure.

IF and when Dish can again offer Distant network,, RV accounts qualify.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
hindes wrote:
Wow - I never thought I'd get flamed on this one! I'm not trying to break the rules. . . I wanted to become a new Dish customer for my home. . . I wasn't trying to scam anyone! When I signed up for Pay As You Go, there was NO mention of a 60 day wait to get the service in my home!

The reason I don't take a receiver from my home is that I have direct tv in the house and my children gave me a Winegard X2 for our class C which runs on Dish.

Jim

Not flaming you, but pointing out that you simply can not be a "new" customer when you are already currently a customer.

This principle applies whether you are a "pay as you go" customer with Dish or a home bound customer. Swapping TYPE of service from pay as you go to a regular home subscriber does not make you a new customer or vise versa.

You posted this as some sort of warning as if Dish did something wrong, they did not do anything wrong...

If you want to switch to Dish at home AND get a NEW CUSTOMER "special" pricing then you are going to have to cancel your current pay as you go and wait the waiting period that they mentioned. Then and only then you will get the new customer promo pricing.

If you don't care about the promo pricing then they might be willing to switch you to home service but you will not receive any promotional pricing.

By the way most of those promo rates are typically only good for ONE YEAR or less (depending on promo) AND YOU WILL be locked into that service for TWO YEARS... After the promo period has run out the rates JUMP..

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look into the conversion for your antenna. Winegard should have a kit available and you will then be a Directv customer completely.

hindes
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - I never thought I'd get flamed on this one! I'm not trying to break the rules. . . I wanted to become a new Dish customer for my home. . . I wasn't trying to scam anyone! When I signed up for Pay As You Go, there was NO mention of a 60 day wait to get the service in my home!

The reason I don't take a receiver from my home is that I have direct tv in the house and my children gave me a Winegard X2 for our class C which runs on Dish.

Jim

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
hindes wrote:
So after several months of "Dish Pay-As-You-Go" in my Class C, I wanted to get Dish in my home (currently a Direct TV customer). I wanted Dish in my home so I could get a better plan in the Class C that would only be $7 a month, since it would be tied to my Dish home account. I called Dish and was told to cancel my Pay-As-You-Go service, wait 24 hours and call back to sign-up for home service. Now after talking to several reps, Dish says I must wait 60 days to sign-up for home service to get their 2 year specials! So, beware! I just gave up & decided to continue to pay for Dish in my RV and Direct tv for my home. They did tell me to call a local retailer and see if they could help me.

So you are mad at Dish since they will not "bend" their rules that YOU agreed to?

If you are wanting the "special" pricing you CAN NOT BE A "CURRENT" CUSTOMER, PERIOD.

The fine print on ALL special pricing does mention that the pricing is only good for NEW CUSTOMERS. By you already HAVING the "pay as you go" service from Dish you ARE already a customer and therefore NOT ELIGIBLE for introductory or new customer special pricing..

It isn't just Dish that does this, Direct also does this and most if not all cable systems will have such limitations. It is all done to stop folks doing just like you are wanting to do.. It also stops folks from scamming the service out of money by stopping the service then waiting a day and then signing up as a new "customer" to get a promotional pricing..

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why? I don't understand the dual service thing? How come you don't take a receiver from home when your on the road? Seems to make far more sense to me.

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
ferretgrandpa wrote:
To change plans, don't do it in the same name, put the new account in the wifes name, when all is set up and running, then shutdown your account. I had a Dish retailer tell me this.

That's what we did.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

ferretgrandpa
Explorer
Explorer
To change plans, don't do it in the same name, put the new account in the wifes name, when all is set up and running, then shutdown your account. I had a Dish retailer tell me this.
Medical reasons took us off the road
98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I switched from DirecTV to Dish at the house a couple of years ago. I'd been a DirecTV customer from the very early days when you bought the equipment and did the install yourself. When I decided to upgrade to HD I called DirecTV and they sent an installer out who told me he "would not permit me to do my own install". I told him to hit the road and I called Dish but they kind of told me the same thing. I located an authorized Dish dealer on the Internet and bought the equipment from him and did my own install. But when I called Dish to have it turned on they told me it wasn't a valid receiver (it was brand new). So I called the Internet dealer, explained the problem and he set me up with a Pay As You Go monthly plan. Then he told me I could manage the account myself via the Internet, which I can. Have had it for a couple of years now without any problems.

So I suspect if you buy the equipment yourself from a dealer you can have them set up the account for you for the house. After that it's pretty simple to cancel the RV account and add the option to your home account.

Like they say at the VA now, it's all a matter of knowing what the rules are that they're playing with to know how to circumvent them.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I am already wary of all satellite and cable tv companies. Heard too many horror stories.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point