cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DISH TV - Locals

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for more information about switching to DISH from DIRECTV now that the Distance Network channels are going away on June 1st. I have read about people using an APP to change their local network channels. Here are my questions -
1 - Is it true you can use an app to change your NBC, CBS, ABC, & Fox channels when you move locations?
2 - Is there a limit to how many times you can make a location change?
3 - Can you suspend and reactivate your service on the app?
4 - is there a limit to the number of times per year that you can suspend your service entirely?
5 - is there a minimum amount of time that your service must be turned on for? i.e. one month?
6 - is it activated by calendar month i.e. the 1st or can you turn it on on the 18th of the month?

I'm going to be asking DISH these questions too but like to have some real world information before contacting DISH or Directv.

Thank you for your time.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
22 REPLIES 22

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Nobody's mentioned what a monthly package costs.

Our Flex Pack (50 channels) plus locals is $54.99/month. Locals are $12 of that total. It was $5 less five years ago, but you know how those things go...

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nobody's mentioned what a monthly package costs.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Set it up yourself .. then call and activate on the pay as you go plan. Nobody sets it up except you. Most installers havenโ€™t a clue and rv dealers are mostly who will set it up if you need someone to do it for you. The difference on pay as you go is you pay in advance. You must technically own the receivers, but some have transitioned their โ€œloanedโ€ Home account receivers. With your own receivers they donโ€™t care how much you start or stop it.
Even with a regular home account you can chat ( text) with dish and change locations as many times as you want , with the dish outdoors pay as you go account you can do if with no contact other than the app. I have changed my account as much as 25 times in a year and 5 times one week .. no issues. The only gotcha are taxes you pay. Communication taxes, sometimes high, are based on the locality you are getting your locals from .. for example Oregon had no communication taxes to speak of .08cents..... but Florida near Orlando I payed over 8 bucks!
Bill

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second Chance wrote:
1. Yes - I use the app on my phone to do it every time we move (but you have to have a Dish mobile account and not a home account to be eligible).

2. No - no limit.

3. Yes, I'm pretty sure I've seen that function in the app. You can also do it by logging into your on-line Dish account.

4. I don't think so.

5. One month.

6. Our months run from mid-month. I think it depends on when you activate/reactivate.

Rob

While it has been over two years since I turned off our service, I could start it on a Friday and off on Sunday and only needed pay for the three days when starting up again. In reading the link in another post, states start and stop anytime you want.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Read about Dish's Pay as you Go service here:
Sounds good, but I didn't like the part about having to have a dish installer.

I've never even laid eyes on a Dish installer. Bought my first antenna and receiver with our first fiver and set them up myself. When I had problems with the equipment, I ordered replacements on Amazon and set them up myself again.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:
Read about Dish's Pay as you Go service here:
Sounds good, but I didn't like the part about having to have a dish installer.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read about Dish's Pay as you Go service here: Dish Pay as you Go
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. Yes - I use the app on my phone to do it every time we move (but you have to have a Dish mobile account and not a home account to be eligible).

2. No - no limit.

3. Yes, I'm pretty sure I've seen that function in the app. You can also do it by logging into your on-line Dish account.

4. I don't think so.

5. One month.

6. Our months run from mid-month. I think it depends on when you activate/reactivate.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
Full-time since 8/2015