cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you recomend a VPN? Windows 10 pc plus Windows 10 mobile

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have Windows 10 installed on both my Lumia 650 and Lenovo tablet.
A campsite we stay at has a house full of computer geeks who are grown children of the owners.
My WiFi app shows different networks around me, probably them plus they have full access probably from the WiFi router that I'm attached to.

As well I'm always on different WiFi hotspots as I travel.

I use for anti virus is the stock Windows Defender as well as Malawarebytes and SuperAntispyware.

Does anyone here use a VPN service and would having a VPN prevent the computer geek kids from seeing what I do via their wifi router or whatever way they do?
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Install your own wifi router with password.

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck with "VPNUnlimited." Works on all of my devices.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I have written a number of posts on this topic on my blog. I just did a post the other week on this topic: link
My preference is Cyberghost, the cost is reasonable and they are constantly rated one of the best options. They also have free all the way to premium paid options.

The cliff notes version of these posts is basically, if you are using a non free/non browser based VPN that uses strong encryption, the probability of a 3 letter agency having access to your encryption keys before they rotate is exceedingly low. With that said, bugs and flaws in the code may allow for a back door, but that is also low. The real issue, is street hackers and kiddie scripters. There are tools out there that make it very simple to do a "man in the middle" attack of your connection to a free or even secure WIFI connection.

The bottom line is that you cannot protect yourself from every possible issue, but a VPN is a good start, and simply taking a few extra steps like VPN, doing Windows updates, being smart will mean you will not be the low hanging fruit. Most hackers (if not specifically targeting an individual) go for the best economic bang for their buck, which means targeting the easy "low hanging fruit".
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few months ago, I took out a year's subscription for a VPN service. When traveling, I will use a campground's wifi network so I like having another layer of security, especially when we are on longer trips and I need to take care of bill paying, checking my bank account, credit card balances, etc. A year's subscription is quite cheap and so far, I'm inclined to continue having one. I use my phone as a mobile hot spot when necessary, but I don't pay for a lot of data usage as I don't normally need it and phone bills are already higher than I would like.

The VPN I am using is privateinternetaccess.com It is extremely easy to use. I would suggest anyone interested in VPNs to do some online research about them and then pay for a month or two of service and see if it is something you want to have as another layer of internet security.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running a laptop with WIN 7. Use NORTON, Malwarebytes and CCleaner. I run all 3 once a month...plus the periodic NORTON updates/protection notices that come up. ((I also have a basic tablet that I almost never use))

Firefox or IE my internet connects via my VERIZON 4G lte (personal) hot spot that i take all over the Country with me.

My take on this VPN thing (as it relates to ME): A VPN is not a product, it is a communication protocol used by companies so employees can dial into company servers. I don't need a VPN because I am not communicating with my own server....I am communicating thru IE/Firefox using the VERIZON 4G as the communication platform.

And...as far as the gov't spying on me...or anyone, no matter what the encryption might be, the NSA most likely has encryption overrides for anything.

I'd appreciate comments.