cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dual-Band (800/1900 MHz) Mobile Wireless (801201)

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about buying this to install in my 5th wheel with a rubber roof. Will it work to increase my bars? I am thinking of installing the antenna on the ladder on the back of the rv. Am I wasting my money? It is a Wilson Dual-Band (800/1900 MHz) Mobile Wireless (801201)
My iPhone is on the Verizon 3G network.....
7 REPLIES 7

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I used this amplifier as part of the Wilson Vehicle Booster Kit for two years in a 17' fiberglass trailer. The external antenna was (and still is) the Wilson short trucker antenna (#301133). This was for voice and data on a AT&T iPhone & data, using a USB stick combined with a WiFi Ranger router.

There are limitations - the boosted signal is only available within 5'-7' feet of the internal antenna, and as doci noted, it is 3G only. The advantage is it will amplify multiple phones & multiple carriers, all at the same time. I have the Wilson antenna mounted on the rear driver's side of the trailer & the internal antenna in the front passenger side.

Because I have switched to 4G for data, I have switched to a Wilson Sleek amplifier. It provides far more gain than the Vehicle Booster Kit, however you must place the phone or hotspot in the cradle. You also have to use the switch on the Sleek to choose AT&T or Verizon, and, of course because it is a cradle, you can only amplify one device at a time.

Another limitation of the combination of the Sleek & the Hotspot is it cannot directly connected to the WiFi ranger router. While the hotspot does produce a WiFi network, it is not as strong as the WiFi Ranger's WiFi output, limiting the working distance. Since I often use the cell based data source while driving, I preferred the stronger router.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I recall correctly, that setup is designed for a car and the interior antenna had to be very close to the phone to operate. That might not be an issue as long as you properly locate the antenna in the area where you think you will most often use the phone. The 3G limitation would be enough reason for me not to buy it but if all you are concerned about is voice then this would not be a problem.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

docj
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize; I had looked at the amp and not at the "system" they are selling. To use such a setup you will need to separate the transmit and receive antennas as far apart as possible. If you mount the antenna on a rubber roof you should mount a small metal plate on the roof to act as a ground plane. I have my antenna mounted on a small piece of stainless (the kind that a magnet will stick to) which is attached to my fiberglass roof with the kind of tape used to attach automobile trim moldings. Both the antenna separation and the ground plane are important factors that affect how much benefit you actually get from the system.

One thing to consider before investing in this, however, is that it will only work with Verizon 3G and not 4G. Even though you may only have 3G today it is very likely that the next time you replace your phone you will end up with a 4G one. You may not want to purchase a system that essentially is out of date before you buy it.

I have one of these amps on a shelf gathering dust because it is not compatible with my 4G phones (this same amp is often used with a direct connection antenna which is what I originally thought you were going to do with it.) I switched to using a Sleek when I changed to a 4 G phone.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
The Wilson amplifier you referenced requires a cell phone with an antenna jack which your iPhone doesn't have. You will need to get a Wilson Sleek which is an amplifier in a cradle designed to hold an iPhone and other smart phones.

Actually, there is no physical connection between the phone and the system. It is wireless.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
The Wilson amplifier you referenced requires a cell phone with an antenna jack which your iPhone doesn't have. You will need to get a Wilson Sleek which is an amplifier in a cradle designed to hold an iPhone and other smart phones.

Not according to the install video that is on their website.....It says it can run 2 cell phones...

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Inserted a clicky for you. BTW, I plan on purchasing one of these units. The only possible limitation I see to placing the antenna on the ladder rack is that the antenna cord is 14 feet long. You'll need to make sure you place the amplifier in an area of your coach that is within the length of the antenna cord.

Clicky
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)