cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dump comcast or not

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at changing from Comcast to satellite so we can take it with us.
Sounds like Dish is easier, but then I still have to get internet for home for the security cameras.
Cost wise it is better to go with Direct and ATT internet.

I do not need HD, but do want to record. Only need 1 TV
Am I right that I cant take the box from house without using a full dish.
I see the Winegard G2, but what receiver HR24 ???
Pathway X2 ???

Lastly, since Dish does seem easier, would you suggest getting dish and keeping Comcast internet even though it is pricey.

thanks
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
11 REPLIES 11

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I've had Dish at home since I got my motorhome in 2000. I take my house box & use a tailgater. Works pretty well. If I go out of my local range, 150 miles or so, and want some locals, I do call in and ask for the change. No cost for this.

I've stayed with the Evil Empire of Comcast for internet at home. My only option is WOW with no cost reduction. Every 6 months I call Comcast & ask for a rate reduction & get it.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We went from Comcast to DirecTV in 2007. Just this year, we dumped DirecTV and are doing OTA and streaming. We won't go back to either cable OR satellite.

We have a TABLO OTA DVR machine, an APPLE TV (on the main TV) and a Nexus Player (on the bedroom TV). Couldn't be happier.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish and Verizon DSL for internet.I have a friend who uses a Verizon MIFI for internet.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
bbaker2001 wrote:
We are looking at changing from Comcast to satellite so we can take it with us.
Sounds like Dish is easier, but then I still have to get internet for home for the security cameras.
Cost wise it is better to go with Direct and ATT internet.

I do not need HD, but do want to record. Only need 1 TV
Am I right that I cant take the box from house without using a full dish.
I see the Winegard G2, but what receiver HR24 ???
Pathway X2 ???

Lastly, since Dish does seem easier, would you suggest getting dish and keeping Comcast internet even though it is pricey.

thanks

Dish is not easier, just different. You can get HD with Dish and a G2 or you can get DirecTV but SD only. If you want to use a DVR then DirecTV is better (SD only) as you can watch and record 2 different channels without issue.
If you need internet at home then your best choice is going to be some ground based service like Comcast. So you have to figure what exactly your needs are. If you are going full time then I would suggest that DirecTV is the best choice. However, if you are not full time then you can get the Dish service on a Pay-as-you-go basis and only have to pay for the months you need it.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
well it is going in my 5th wheel, so as you, I am not sure either:)
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Most DVR boxes are HD-so you will pay for it anyway with the box.

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer
We have Comcast at home and and use the Dish pay as you go for the Motorhome. We are not full timers and can start and stop the service whenever we want. We have the Welcome package, which they don't advertise, and get around 40channels plus locals for $19.99 per month. We use the crank up dish on the MH and a 211K receiver. We usually pay from 5/1 to 10/1 then cancel the service, don't suspend or they will charge you a $5 per month suspension fee, and then restart the service the next season, but you can turn this off and on at will.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with Comcast/Direct TV was exactly the opposite of pconroy. Direct TV went out all the time and we rarely have an internet outage. When we switched to Direct TV, even the sales guy said to keep Comcast for internet. We have since dumped Direct and went back to Comcast. We don't have a TV in the Pup so having something to take camping wasn't an issue, but I believe you can also stream Comcast if you have the data capability to do it.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Technology Corner forum from 5th wheels
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Had Comcast for Internet and DirecTV for satellite at home. I had so many problems with Comcast Internet, beside the price. So my motivation was a bit different.

Dumped DirecTV for Dish (to save money)
and dumped Comcast for DSL (to save money and fix problems).

If you've got the money and haven't had issues with Comcast, then sure! Keep 'em.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a 5th wheel topic?

:h
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel