cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DVD and Blu Ray being discontinued?

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Recently Samsung has discontinued production of all blu ray players as a result of streaming taking their place.

DVD sales have also been dropping.

RV parks have never been known to handle movie streaming on WiFi. We've always watched movies on DVD or Blu Ray in our RV. Streaming is not an option. So will watching movies in our RV be phased out over the coming years?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)
78 REPLIES 78

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
What Walmart were you in that had no DVD's? Granted I don't visit a ton of Walmart, but I've never seen one that didn't have a rack, usually two or more, of DVD's.

Just curious if you've actually seen one, or just read that there were some?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
Not sure just because Samsung doesn't garner enough profit from making (mostly inferior, at least the several units we purchased)) DVD and or Bluray players spells out the doom for this media. Talked to a fellow at Walmart filling those massive DVD bins, they fill them several times weekly to keep up with demand, he stated Covid 19 has increased their DVD sales by at least twofold. Somebody will always produce dvd players, similar to all the record/album players readily available in todays market.

What Walmart were you in and who was this guy filling massive DVD bins? Walmarts have been shrinking their DVD sections for a few years. Recently renovated/upgraded stores have no DVD aisle at all other than the big cardboard clearance bins and a few end caps.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
You download movies to your tablet or laptop. Or, you can even download them to Google Play

Hmmm ... how do I download Netflix, or Acorn, or Britbox, or Xfinity movies unto my laptop???

BTW, I still own and occasionally use a VHS player attached to our big screen at home. VHS images get converted to 4K when we do this. The player would suck a lot of power for RV use, however.

Are we assuming that the Internet will never suffer a wide area failure? I predict that day will come, and when it does - a lot us drycamping in our bug-out RVs will wish we had brought along plenty of DVD movies and a player for them. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

B_printervan
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
B$printervan wrote:

I ran 100' HDMI cable (Monoprice) from TV to audio AVR cabinet. I'm only pushing audio/ARC through HDMI cable. Fiber/Toslink doesn't support surround sound. .

Not sure I understand that statement? I've had several devices getting surround sound across fiber.

Right now, in our home, I have a PC feeding my receiver HDMI, that for some reason wouldn't pass any audio, but it accepted fiber. Surround sound in the bedroom, Fiber from TV to surround box.

This explains why better...https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/optical-digital-audio.html
14 RT Agile (144" MB Sprinter Van)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
I used to copy movies and store them on a hard drive. But now if I want to watch a movie I stream it with my Mi FI no problem.
I was camping during the March madness men's tournament and stream several games via my MiFi. Streaming is very convenient and I don't end up wasting time copying tons of movies I'm never going to take the time to watch.
Its 2021 streaming is the current way to watch movies.

As long as you have service. Some places don't have service. Have a good day.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I used to copy movies and store them on a hard drive. But now if I want to watch a movie I stream it with my Mi FI no problem.
I was camping during the March madness men's tournament and stream several games via my MiFi. Streaming is very convenient and I don't end up wasting time copying tons of movies I'm never going to take the time to watch.
Its 2021 streaming is the current way to watch movies.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
B$printervan wrote:

I ran 100' HDMI cable (Monoprice) from TV to audio AVR cabinet. I'm only pushing audio/ARC through HDMI cable. Fiber/Toslink doesn't support surround sound. .

Not sure I understand that statement? I've had several devices getting surround sound across fiber.

Right now, in our home, I have a PC feeding my receiver HDMI, that for some reason wouldn't pass any audio, but it accepted fiber. Surround sound in the bedroom, Fiber from TV to surround box.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Random thoughts--

CD sales have dropped 95% since 2000 (peak of CD sales).

With digital formatted music, you are listening to compressed files with loss of infomation. The best compressed music files are referred to as "lossless" and play CD quality. Very few (if many) streaming services offer "lossless" CD quality music options.

CDs are affordable now and used ones can be had for a "song" (pun intended). When I buy a CD, I have something tangible that I can sell later, when I buy a digital song, there is nothing to sell.

CDs contain album artwork and booklets (just like vinyl records) that are both fun and educational to look at. You get zip from streaming services.

All the big audiophile companies still produce CD/Blu-Ray players (Denon, Cambridge Audio, Panasonic, Sony, LG, Pioneer, etc). Some even support SACD format in addition to the standard DTS and Dolby audio formats.

As long as there are 4k Ultra HD TVs, there will be a demand for 4k Blu-Ray discs, especially for 3D viewing.

The current catalog of music and movies available on CD/DVD/Blu-Ray far exceeds the number available from streaming services, and will always be so. Not everything will be "digitized" for streaming (think $$$).

This "wokeness religion" is sure to censor many the old standards and classic works. If it isn't available, then you can never listen/watch it online.

Samsung released the first Blu-Ray CD about 10 years ago and owned 37% of the market (before bowing out), with Sony and LG picking up the slack. Samsung is 100% "all in" for the streaming business; will Sony follow? I doubt it...Sony's music collection is larger than humongous.

BTW, I love listening to my SACD music CDs--imo, best surround sound effect to date. Who is streaming SACD music files?
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

B_printervan
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
B$printervan wrote:
My tech savvy solution. At home we use HDHOMERUN Prime boxes and rent 3 cable cards (Giving us 9 tuners) from FiOS/Frontier. I'll record multiple music genres, 30hours, then later transfer them on a few SD/Thumb cards. Same with TV shows & movies. Inside RV I'm using the Raspberry Pi running Kodi, Small DHCP router with GSM slot and another HDHOMERUN Prime box without cable card. Most parks we've stayed at offer digital TV service (Clear QAM) that the HDHR Prime box converts the signal. Running PVR HDHomeRun client inside Kodi. Best part, I can run everything off solar.

Not familiar with any of that for streaming. I use a Synology NAS which has APPS to handle most any files or I write my own. Rather simple but works. Currently have 1T drives in it.

Few are. Kodi clients simply point to SMB shared folders on Debian box storing recorded tv shows/movies/music. It's so archaic it's powered down having been replaced by streaming services. Backups are what I use in van.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
B$printervan wrote:
My tech savvy solution. At home we use HDHOMERUN Prime boxes and rent 3 cable cards (Giving us 9 tuners) from FiOS/Frontier. I'll record multiple music genres, 30hours, then later transfer them on a few SD/Thumb cards. Same with TV shows & movies. Inside RV I'm using the Raspberry Pi running Kodi, Small DHCP router with GSM slot and another HDHOMERUN Prime box without cable card. Most parks we've stayed at offer digital TV service (Clear QAM) that the HDHR Prime box converts the signal. Running PVR HDHomeRun client inside Kodi. Best part, I can run everything off solar.

Not familiar with any of that for streaming. I use a Synology NAS which has APPS to handle most any files or I write my own. Rather simple but works. Currently have 1T drives in it.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

DVD/Blu-ray is not going anywhere in the near future. Movie/TV studios are still making billions $ in sales annually.

I still buy Blu-rays (BR), including upgrading the movies I most like to Blu-Ray 4K where available. Occasionally buy BR with foreign region-codes where they are not licensed for U.S. market.

Will buy DVD where steaming or other formats are not available. Primarily, for documentaries. In fact, searching for one DVD doc now featuring a pioneer in SciFi movies though appears no longer available. May have to resort to used copies selling for 3-4x the new price.

B_printervan
Explorer
Explorer
Teltonika RUT950-J GSM Router (Can be found on Amazon)

Your love, hate relationship with Kodi is likely hardware related, along with possible sketchy video addons. Additionally they updated to Python 3 that killed some addons .

Samsung started using their own proprietary **** for ARC, CEC, OS, 2013/14?.

Home setup-
LG smart tv (LG uses WebOS, it's compatible with RaspberryPi Kodi ARC/CEC) + RaspberryPi running libreelec kodi https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/ CEC compatibility is critical for using the tv remote navigating Kodi. Simply attach RaspbeeryPi into TV's HDMI/ARC/CEC port.

I ran 100' HDMI cable (Monoprice) from TV to audio AVR cabinet. I'm only pushing audio/ARC through HDMI cable. Fiber/Toslink doesn't support surround sound.

Steaming from phone- I too have a nice collection of music like you, but now just stream from phone, Spotify mostly, they have higher bit rates. There's another RaspberryPi running Kodi headless that's dedicated for music with what's called a hat board from HiFi Berry, it's DAC soundcard for RaspberryPi's. RCA out to AVR.

Getting back to my van. I rarely use the GSM feature, I just wanted something with low power consumption that provided IP assignment. It's nice sitting outside streaming from either HDHOMERUN or SMB share on RPi.

Oh, speaking of Samsung TV's. That's what came with my van so I been using this "Wechip" remote for navigating Kodi. Comes with usb dongle, it's also found on Amazon. (Using same remotes on Win10 laptops) .

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well B$printervan, you got my attention.

What small GSM router are you using?

I have a love hate relationship with a kodi box. Software is a bit quirky and I have to adjust which program brings up which video files. Haven't found an audio program that will search my whole collection and play one genre. generally stream from my phone.

Also had an issue with the smart TV, I could not get the TV to feed the radio. After working with the 3rd purchased device, talked to a higher end tech guy, and the first question out of his mouth, is it a samsung tv, why yes it is. He said some samsung TVs will not play nice with fiber out through D/A convertor. They hadn't figured out why, and samsung was of no help

B_printervan
Explorer
Explorer

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
philh wrote:
I moved all our media to digital 10 years ago. I have a 16T server to store our media.

That's all great but you have to either watch the same stuff over and over or plan in advance of what your family may want to watch while RV'ing. Is your 16T server in your RV?

We never know what we're doing any given night. If we feel like a movie we'll head over to a nearest Redbox etc. and rent a DVD. If DVD's are discontinued then what? Plan ahead and buy digital copy at higher cost than renting, copy to drive if legal and possible to do so and take with us. Don't see the newer technology being superior when it comes to it's application when RV'ing.

You ask an interesting question.

16T server is located in our park model trailer, and while we're in the park model, have it connected to a cell based hot spot. 16T is a LOT of music and video, more than I'll see in my lifetime.

After spending 3 months on the road, and I was carrying a 6T hard drive with stuff I figured we would watch. It did ok, but there were some holes in the plan. I'm going to change it up for the 5th wheel, and still working out the details. I'm thinking the hot spot will stay hooked to the server, and I'll use something else for hotspot, or just duplicate what is at the base camp.

I haven't decided if I'm going to carry the backup server, or get a smaller package.