cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Educate me on hotspot data usage...

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I've been on the same phone plan for about 20 years. It includes unlimited data, which I've never really used. Spurred by some reading around here, I looked up some of my account details. It looks like 50 Gigs/month of hotspot use is included in my plan. Generally speaking, what does that get me as far as watching TV/movies/video?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
16 REPLIES 16

eflyersteve
Explorer
Explorer
What you'll probably find is that you get 50gig and then the possibility of being deproritized (essentially, your data will be slowed) if the tower is congested. Depending on where you are, this may never happen. I use tmobile and at&t in rural areas and almost always go over my Max, but have never been slowed yet.
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 204RD
2011 F150 Super Crew FX4, 5.0L V8
Husky Centerline WD Hitch

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
For Win 10, you can't turn off updates but you can change the connection setting to "Metered Connection" and that will stop the updates.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off automatic updates for Windows as well.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
When using your phone as a hot spot, one thing that can eat up data is all of the advertisements you get. Make sure you have a good ad blocker installed on you PC !
Good call! Wouldn't even have occurred to me!
2015 Ram 1500

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
When using your phone as a hot spot, one thing that can eat up data is all of the advertisements you get. Make sure you have a good ad blocker installed on you PC !

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Generally speaking, what does that get me as far as watching TV/movies/video?

A recent NBA game was ~3 Gbytes on my hotspot.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Yes hotspots have been around a long time. You did have to connect a router to the phone to have it as a wifi connection. My first cell phone use was analog to a dial up internet service provider with a toll free number. Speeds were 1/4 regular dial up data transmission--but I could listen to the BBC radio plays. The cell phone had unlimited minutes after 6 p.m.

jcpainter wrote:

Who is your plan with? Did they even have hotspot usage 20 yrs ago?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the feedback here, I think I'll dive in face first and start experimenting.
2015 Ram 1500

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
Yes, I confirmed that I get 50 Gigs of hotspot, and that's per line.

LTE? or just 3G?
LTE. Does anybody actually advertise 3g hotspot?
2015 Ram 1500

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:

LTE? or just 3G?

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:

When I stream television I use about 1.0G per hour. Of course this will depend on resolution. That said 50G would get you about 50 hours of television.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
I've been on the same phone plan for about 20 years. It includes unlimited data, which I've never really used. Spurred by some reading around here, I looked up some of my account details. It looks like 50 Gigs/month of hotspot use is included in my plan. Generally speaking, what does that get me as far as watching TV/movies/video?

Who is your plan with? Did they even have hotspot usage 20 yrs ago?
Unfortunately my plan is with Sprint. And I'm not sure how long ago hotspot usage was available, but I used to use PDANet to get around being charged for it. That doesn't work anymore.

I wondered about it, logged into my sprint account and found a checkbox option for 50 Gig for $0. Even though I haven't used a lot of data, that was one of the main reasons I held onto this plan.

Sprint coverage sucks in certain places, but it's generally pretty fast where ever there is good coverage in my experience. In the inland northwest, it's fast and solid.
2015 Ram 1500

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you call your provider before going any further to get clarification.

I have AT&T. It's an unlimited plan I've also had for years. My iPhone 7 has the ability to use it as a hotspot... but the feature is greyed out on my phone.

So I called my provider. I was informed my unlimited plan doesn't "offer" that feature. In other words, if I changed my plan to one where I had a limited amount of data, they would enable that feature, hoping I go over my allotment. Unlimited data, yes, unlimited ability to use it, no.

I really hate AT&T, but they have the best coverage in my area.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/