cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fueling and GPS

MARTY63
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a GPS unit out there that can help you find a place to fuel up ? I know Garmin and the rest have the RV GPS models that you put your info in on the size of your Trailer and such. Do these also find gas stations that you could fit into to get Gas ?

If not hwi di you pick your fueling stations for gas ?

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
15 REPLIES 15

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles said_When we need gas I just stop at a station and fill up. There are gas stations everywhere.
Have you ever driven across the Dakotas, Montana, and Wyoming on state roads. When you get off of the interstate, you better know how far your gas/diesel is going take you. I had a Toyota MH with a total range of 240 miles, we carried 5 gallons of gas just in case.
I pulled into a gas station in Frankfort, KY thinking that I could drive forward to get out, I ended up having to back out into traffic.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

MARTY63
Explorer
Explorer
My best bet would be to look for these truck stop places and not try to stretch the the fuel tank to far. My wife is very smart till it comes to tech. She still has trouble with cell phone operation.Reading a map ? Well forget that one also.
So when on the road it's up to me to drive and navigate and everything else. Just thought how handy it would be if there was some kind of app. that just pointed things like RV friendly fuel stops.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gas Buddy finds you area gas stations and the best price (or worst if that's what you want) but can not tell you if they are RV FRIENDLY.

FOr the most part the big Truck Places (Flying-J/Pilot Loves and T/A) are RV friendly (Few exceptions and Flying-J's also generally have special RV lanes with both D and G. and RV parking overnight (And a Denny's as opposed to a Fast Food place like Arby's or Wendy's) Generally (not always)

MY PILOT will find Flying-J and Pilot
Loves has an app
And I suspect TA does as well.

I use 'em when I do my migration trips.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I look at the satellite view of a gas station before I get there. Easy to do on a smartphone.

Rgtopda
Explorer
Explorer
Just loaded gasbuddy wow that is a awesome app.
RGTOPDA
(Jimmy Buffett Fan)
2003 Newmar Dutch star
36 ft. Gulf Breeze Fl.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lay back and take a outside pump.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Once you get on the road, you will see different configurations of fuel stops.
You will find some bramds have better layout for getting the rig in and out.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
MARTY63 wrote:
Is there a GPS unit out there that can help you find a place to fuel up ? I know Garmin and the rest have the RV GPS models that you put your info in on the size of your Trailer and such. Do these also find gas stations that you could fit into to get Gas ?

If not hwi di you pick your fueling stations for gas ?

I ask Garmin to find Truck Stops near me. This avoids any worry about the size of your trailer entering or exiting.

MARTY63
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys I'll look up GasBuddy and see how it works for me. Thanks again

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Download the GasBuddy app on your cell phone. You can select any grade of gas or select diesel. Hit the button so it will find your location and BINGO! It brings up fuel stations wherever you are at. Click the map button and you'll see where they are at. Follow the map and it will lead you right to them. We use Gas Buddy all the time when traveling. It's absolutely great! Plus, it give the price per gallon also. It's usually right spot on.

Click here and try it.

No need to sign in. You can create a sign in if you want to earn points or report fuel prices. But the app works just fine without signing in. I never have.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Vehicle GPS maps will include points of interest such as fuel, restaurants, etc. Google Maps on a phone is your best resource overall. Gasbuddy app is also useful for fuel locations and prices.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

MARTY63
Explorer
Explorer
I hear you on that. I am pulling a 35 footer and sometimes there is no way to fit into these little stations. I have been at the truck stops and still could not fit into the gas area. I have dropped Trailer in lot with semi's and then gassed up and hooked back up. When out on the Highways like 95 or 81 or any others it would be nice to know where you could get in and out of. I would like to be able to judge my mileage a little better then to start pulling off everywhere when my tank hit 1/4 tank.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Normally refuel near where we overnight. I keep an eye on fuel level so do not get into a bind with extremely low level.
My Rand McNally has fuel locations. Gives distance, brands and other info about station.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker