cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin 2797 LMT

gasguzler
Explorer
Explorer
I am having a hard time spending $400 for a 760 LMT and it appears to me the 2797 LMT is almost identical in features except for the RV specific programming. I have gotten along just fine all these years on a 285W with out those features but it recently lost it's ability to "text to speech" so it won't speak road names any more. (The memory is pretty full so maybe a sim card will change that?)

Any way I like the 7 inch screen, the faster processor, split screen, etc, all the features on the new 2797.

I any one using this one and have you been happy with it? I can get one for about $256 shipped to me and that's $144 less than a 760LMT.

I did a lot of searches but this one doesn't come up much and I tried doing some PM's to those that have it but they are restricted from receiving PM's so i posted here. I am not interested in the Rand, Magellan or Tom Tom's.

Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
gasguzler wrote:
Thanks Bill, there is a 2597LM and 2797LMT, the difference is the voice activation but also the live traffic updates are not on the 2597. It seems the traffic function may be useful with an app on my iphone.

Hmmm. I have a 2597LMT with voice activation, lifetime maps and traffic - bought it on Saturday! ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check your advanced settings. You should have an option to avoid toll roads as well as car pool lanes. I believe even the RV specific Garmin will take you there unless you "avoid" them.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
The next one I get will have the RV function on it.Last week comming up I 95 from South Carolina ,the Garmin kept trying to put us in the HOV lanes.We knew we couldn't go there so we stayed the course and ended up in DC! Eventually turned off the GPS and used the map to get back on course.

gasguzler
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I really like the traffic function. If that's only available with the voice also then get that one. We had not thought traffic was a big deal but we just returned from the beach to Albany, OR after Christmas and along our route the Garmin suddenly popped up that an accident was reported on I-5 and there was a short delay. It then popped up saying there was a 24 minute delay and offered additional routing options. By the time we reached the detour point the delay was down to 5 minutes and "she" recommended we maintain the original route. By the time we got to the accident area it was cleared and gone. Had it gone differently or been more serious we would have known long in advance what to do.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. I think the 2797 LMT is the one for me. Thanks for your help.
Fred

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really like the traffic function. If that's only available with the voice also then get that one. We had not thought traffic was a big deal but we just returned from the beach to Albany, OR after Christmas and along our route the Garmin suddenly popped up that an accident was reported on I-5 and there was a short delay. It then popped up saying there was a 24 minute delay and offered additional routing options. By the time we reached the detour point the delay was down to 5 minutes and "she" recommended we maintain the original route. By the time we got to the accident area it was cleared and gone. Had it gone differently or been more serious we would have known long in advance what to do.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

gasguzler
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I think there is a 2595 and a 2597 isn't there? IIRC, those are the 5" versions and the 27XX are the 7" version. In any case, there is a 5" and a 7" and one that has voice and one that doesn't. That's 4 different versions, just pick the one that's right combo for you. They are all part of the Garmin 2013 series so you can go to Garmin.com and compare the 4 units.

Thanks Bill, there is a 2597LM and 2797LMT, the difference is the voice activation but also the live traffic updates are not on the 2597. It seems the traffic function may be useful with an app on my iphone. Have you ever used that? It appears the xx97 is the 7 inch series. So the decision is weather or not the traffic feature is worth $50 or not, I will be with in reach of the unit, mounted on the dash with a friction mount so I guess the voice activation function isn't necessary. Alas "Siri" and I don't always communicate very well either.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think there is a 2595 and a 2597 isn't there? IIRC, those are the 5" versions and the 27XX are the 7" version. In any case, there is a 5" and a 7" and one that has voice and one that doesn't. That's 4 different versions, just pick the one that's right combo for you. They are all part of the Garmin 2013 series so you can go to Garmin.com and compare the 4 units.

gasguzler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill, I was hoping you would reply. I checked the 2795 but that isnjust a 5 inch version. I appreciate your feedback very much.
Fred

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, love my 2797 and I have been driving 1000's of miles with mine. If you are within easy reach of the unit where you place it the voice control is not necessary and you can save a couple of bucks on the 2795 (I think that's right). I love the 7" screen and the ability to pull up a right hand menu where I can select what 3 things I want to view at all times. Currently it shows current time, time to arrival and elevation (fun info in the Western US). The base info boxes show arrival distance and current speed (right beside the posted speed limit). Since I already know what campground I want to end up at before I leave, having a large campground database is of no real value to me. This Garmin shows you what lane you need to be in both in a visual and audible manner with plenty of lead time.
The one obnoxious detail we had to deal with today is the school zone option. It sounds a load bell/buzzer 1/2 mile before you get to a school zone and will not stop beeping until you arrive which can take some time if you come up on a stop light or have any amount of traffic. We ran through 3 in the same town and, of course, schools are closed for the holidays but you can't stop it.
I am going to search the menu options to see if I can kill this option and just trust that the flashing lights and big bright signs will bring a school zone to my attention.

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Alfred622 wrote:
For what it is worth, I faced the exact same decision. I ended up purchasing a reconditioned NUVI 2595LMT. I told it to route me as a BUS. So far, all of the routing has worked out well for me.

I DO like the lifetime maps and traffic.

Happy New Year

X2 I have that exact model and couldn't be happier
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and really like it. Haven't taken any long RV trips with it, but in the car it is great. I really like the voice command option.
2009 Montana 3585SA, 5th Airborne Pin Box.

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is worth, I faced the exact same decision. I ended up purchasing a reconditioned NUVI 2595LMT. I told it to route me as a BUS. So far, all of the routing has worked out well for me.

I DO like the lifetime maps and traffic.

Happy New Year
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....