cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Geezer question about cell phone stuff

showme
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a really embarrassing question to ask, and since I've always gotten good advice on here about my technical questions, I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folks for an answer (Please promise not to laugh- I've searched the internet, and still can't figure this out). Ok, this has to do with my phone bill, and gigabyte usage, specifically. I, myself, refuse to get a "smart" phone, preferring my antiquated Samsung 'slider' (it even takes pictures!!) dumb phone, so I am really way behind in what most of you consider status quo. Here we go...
My phone gets and receives phone calls, texts and takes and sends/receives pictures. That's about all I know about it. Apparently, there's a way to hook up to the internet, because sometimes I hit the wrong button and an AT&T thingy starts spinning around, at which point I frantically try to shut it off, or just slam the thing shut, hoping it will go away. My wife, on the other hand, has a smart phone, which my daughter gave to her, and she's on it constantly, either playing word or "criminal" detective games, checking the weather, using the GPS and who knows what else. Our phones are through our daughters plan, which worked good while our daughter lived in Seattle, so they could talk stay in touch. We pay her $80 a month to have us on her plan.
Well, she has moved back to the St. Louis area now, and I'd like to get ourselves back on our own plan, but when I checked them out today, I am totally confused as to what I would need X amount of gigabytes for, if I need them at all. Like I said, we have wireless U-Verse for our desk and laptop computers, and I don't really see the sense in using a phone as a portable computer when we have perfectly good computers at the house. So, my question is, do I even need a plan that has 10, 20 or a hundred GB's for phones that would be specifically to make and receive calls and texts? And if I don't, where do I look to find such a plan, without AT&T, or whomever I use, assuming that I want all the speed I can find. I don't play games, watch movies or anything else on my phone that can be done on a computer. I, personally, still cherish the old days where the phone was in your house or business and if you weren't there to answer the call, the caller would just have to call you back later. As I said, I am a geezer with geezerly ways. Thanks for any and all reply's and help in this matter. Lee
35 REPLIES 35

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
Get yourself a Tracphone. No need to have data and if you buy certain phones, you get 3 times the minutes. I average about $7.50 a month. I have text and voice only but it does have wifi too so you could use it that way. Get your wife a data phone and let her go. JMO.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
The wife and I both have smart phones. We use Straight Talk, $45 bucks a month unlimited talk,text and data per phone. We made sure we got phones that use Verizon towers. They also have basic phones for less a month. There are lots of options out there. Good luck.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

MrWizard
the short answer is YES.. your wifes smart phone NEEDS gigabytes of data
how many ? IDK

ask your daughter to check her phone statement for the amount of data used by your wife AKA Mothers phone number per month, might be 1gig, might be more

you can use that Info when you are shopping for phone plans
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

showme
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, thanks very much everybody! Many good suggestions for finding out how much we need, (or, are using). I didn't really clarify the idea that I DON'T WANT A SMART PHONE!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I've seen what it's done to my wife. She use to talk to me sometimes, but now I can't get her off of her phone, and she looks at me like some lower life form if I come into the room and sit down to talk to her. What I'd REALLY like is for her to throw hers out the window and be sociable again. Sometimes she does the bit where she has her laptop on the arm of her chair and her phone in her hand trying to operate both of them at once. I don't have a chance!

But, to be fair, she tells me that when she's using her phone at home, that it works of the wireless router, so there is no usage, per se. (Is that correct?) But, when we're going somewhere and she immediately pops her phone out and turns on the GPS as soon as we hit the road, I kind of don't think that's going to go uncharged. ("Honey, we know how to get to St. Louis, and we're still an hour away. Do you really need that on?" Also, there are times that I get the message by text from AT&T that someone has gone over our data threshold, and they're tacking another 15 bucks on for X amount of gigabytes. Personally, I think the phone companies charge way too much already. I'd like to see their profit margin report. Or maybe not. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to peacefully return my wife to not being a phone/internet addict while re-directing a portion of my retirement check to more useful and tangible areas. But, thanks everbody for giving me a place to start looking, and at least a little more knowledge of the mystical realm of today's phone service and how it works. Every time I see a movie with an old, gigantic bakelite dial phone, I just want to go back to the good old days and wear my finger out on that dialer. Well, sort of...

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would suggest is ask your daughter how much data your wife averaged per month. That way you could see how much you would need for her on any new plan. No sense in buying more than you two would use. Then you can determine which company to contract with.
Good luck

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon.. and flip phone.. Gibbs ๐Ÿ™‚ nice.

wife and I both have Flips.
hers is New. mine is 3 years old, voice, text,( text is new to us ) I sent 3 last month.
and 4 gb for tablet and laptop via tablet internet. tablet is also new.
the tablet will also receive the same text my phone receives. and I can sent text from the tablet. bigger keys.:) touch screen.:)

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
If you can use the Internet to post on this forum, you can figure out how to use, and benefit from, a smart phone with not that much effort. There are lots of options, but some of those "dumb phone" plans charge quite a bit while giving little. Today's smart phone is going to give you a pretty good camera, phone, text capability, and Internet, along with map, GPS, calendar, address book functions, plus tons of games or music for those so inclined.

I'm not much for trading up every time a new phone comes out, but I wouldn't leave home without my now 5-year old I-Phone. Lots of info on the Internet, but you can also go to an AT&T or Verizon store on a slow day.
2013 RT 190-Popular

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Go Dogs wrote:
I'm another Geezer. I had an old flip phone and finally had to get a smart phone. Sheessh, I couldn't even figure out how to answer it when it rang. I sheepishly went to Best Buy on a quiet day, and went to the phone guy. He sat down and showed me all the doo dads. I'm still not a whiz, but I knew who to ask for help.

x2...held onto that flip phone as long as I could. Broke down, got the smart phone...first time it rang, I'm like how the heck do you answer the phone, good grief!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Bowti wrote:

That means you need "unlimited" data

NO probably not.

Especially if you have wireless Internet at home and can use WiFi while there for data type applications.

If you are happy with the company your daughters plan is with, I suggest that all 3 of you visit a "walk in" store and see what they can do for you. With the owner's permission, they should be able to look at the data usage and split two phones off on their own account.
The standard 3-4 Gig should be plenty.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

olpops
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Another old gezzer reporting in

You might want to check out the very inexpensive Nokia smart phones

For 4 yrs my $58 phone has survived many a aw sh..t and continues to do everything I need and then some
plus apps, gps and alerts

And look at the ATT GOPhone , pay as you go, no contract plans

Hope you find what you need!
Don't Worry, Be Happy

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those very popular older flip phones have a new name now. They are called GIBBS Phones...

All NCIS followers will know what I mean haha...

I stuck with mine for years and finaly just recently had to change over to a smart phone. It seems all of the Police-Rescue squads are now switched over to Digital radios making all of our old police scanners non-usable anymore...

So now since I can't afford one of those $500 new style digital Radio Scanners I am using BROADCASTIFY RADIO Internet Scanner ops on my cell phone. This lets me listen to all of my old favorites Police and Rescue squad frequencies both State and County ops and works anywhere I go...

I can also use my Verizon MIFI unit to get on the internet and do the same thing but that eats up my precious data plan. Good to have two ways to get on the internet though however...

Guess we all gots to have our toys to keep us active...

I hate my smartphone... Don't have a clue how to use it. When I get a text msg I hand it to my daughter to answer it for me haha... The kids are smart ones around here now...

Old flip phones reminds of when I was cleaning up around here and thru away some really old Motorola flip phones. The old batteries had eat them up because I forgot to pull the batteries when I put them in the drawer... Anyway I had big box full of junk I was taking to the dump and did the big heave-hol into the big truck trailer dumpster setup at the local dump. Then a cell phone started ringing from the pile way down there haha... The attendant says I think you have a cell phone ringing down there. I told him I still have my good one in my pocket so it must be one I just threw away in the big box. He asked are you going down there to get it. I just smiled "sure I am".. got back in my truck and headed off the property. I don't know if the attendant when phone digging or not haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Technology Corner forum from 5th Wheel forum.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
me, I have a phone because my wife says so, now if she could just make me turn it on.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
The sentence " My wife, on the other hand, has a smart phone, which my daughter gave to her, and she's on it constantly, either playing word or "criminal" detective games, checking the weather, using the GPS and who knows what else"
That means you need data.

That means you need "unlimited" data
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
The sentence " My wife, on the other hand, has a smart phone, which my daughter gave to her, and she's on it constantly, either playing word or "criminal" detective games, checking the weather, using the GPS and who knows what else"
That means you need data.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind