cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go Anywhere Direct TV app

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the AT&T store yesterday updating our phone service and of course they are also selling direct tv. We currently have dish and use a tailgater. The tech told us that direct tv app on our phones can be viewed on the tv with the use of a chromecast that plugs into a hdmi port on the tv. He step us up with the app and setup home installation this Saturday. Well apparently this does not work because direct has a video block that prevents this. The phones work fine but we need it on the tv. Guess I am going to cancel the direct and stick with dish since I already have the equipment. If what he said worked it was a lot cheaper and would not need a portable dish.
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD
28 REPLIES 28

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Will not work at all from your phone or tablet to TV. It will not transmit over because of a block. Trust me I tried everything.

Did you try an Android device? Mine works fine

No regretfully I have an IPhone. But you said you can use the directtv app on Android definitely correct? I want to do this because the direct tv app does not use my data.

I shot this video this morning. Sorry I had the tv muted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy8oJgf7aaw
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
That's exactly what I did. And it doesn't work You will get audio but the video is blocked by direct tv.
I also tried the wired method with no luck. The comercials pay fine but when the program comes back on the video goes black. I also talked to direct tv and said it will not work.
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
With an iPhone or Android you can get a cable that plugs into your phone and the HDMI port on your TV that should bypass the video blocks. You can get the cables on amazon. Remember that with these apps you still use data so you have to have cell or wifi service. With Sat TV you can use it in the middle of the desert.

Will not work on IPhone tried it. It states an error and you only get sound. Contacted apple and they said you can not do it because of a block by Direct tv but it was mentioned earlier you could use an android device and it worked.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
ulvik wrote:
Will not work at all from your phone or tablet to TV. It will not transmit over because of a block. Trust me I tried everything.

No regretfully I have an IPhone. But you said you can use the directtv app on Android definitely correct? I want to do this because the direct tv app does not use my data.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
With an iPhone or Android you can get a cable that plugs into your phone and the HDMI port on your TV that should bypass the video blocks. You can get the cables on amazon. Remember that with these apps you still use data so you have to have cell or wifi service. With Sat TV you can use it in the middle of the desert.

Some phones work fine like my LGG4 without a cable. I could never get my phone to work with a cable because the phone doesn't seem support MHL
and
2009 Nomad 3980

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
With the Directv app on your phone and if use use ATT as your cell phone provider and Directv at home, you can stream DIRECTV without using your data . So if you connect your phone to the hdmi input on the tv, you can watch tv over your cellular service.

With Directv satellite service in your rv and Directv cellular connection to your home DVR, you can have the best of both connections without any additional cost if you already subscribe to Directv and ATT.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
ulvik wrote:

and
2009 Nomad 3980

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a lot of hassles with Dish network on shutting off my service after a trip. Sometimes they want you to go to minimum programming, pay a maintenance fee, etc. Last time when I refused to continue paying, they discontinued my account. I can reapply, but what a hassle. I think your treatment depends on whether someone in the Phillipines, India, etc answers the phone.

This year, we are going to hook up to local cable and internet in Apache Junction. They claim to be accustomed to turning it on and off for a month or so. We'll see if that's better.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
to hell wth camp ground wifi service, your phone can be your own hot spot.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are all kinds of digital copyright issues, that lawyers make them block certain things. I used to be able to Chromecast the ESPN app, but an update took that feature away. I can use a cable on my old iPad to watch ESPN on the TV, but it will not work with my newer iPhone.

Also one thing I've found is that many campgrounds we go to you have enough cell data bandwidth to read the news, and emai, but not to stream HD tv.

Really the best bet is satellite. I don't do it because I work for a small cable company and get cable for free, but if I was paying, I'd get a dish for camping.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
This has been touted as the latest and great and the new replacement for satellite TV. But that is far from the truth. It's another sales gimmick for AT&T and by no means a replacement for your satellite TV unless you're willing to settle for a lot less. The reviews for both DirecTV app and the new DirecTV Now are far less than favorable. I just hate to see many folks falling for this marketing hype and finding out afterward that it isn't anywhere near a replacement or even a close second or third. Do some research online and there are many, many articles by third parties that have no stake in the issues that are all saying this isn't anywhere near ready for prime time. Chuck

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
A down ways to watch TV using the phone, drop dish and direct
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.