cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got a Amazon fire TV stick

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
I got an Amazon fireTV stick and love it as I can now download Netflix and Amazon videos to my Samsung S10 phone and then mirror them to my TV via the fire stick. (using the "smart view" setting on the smartphone)(I also put in a 256 GB SD card so I can have lots of movies ready to watch)
It is the HD 1080p model.
It worked so well thought I would get the 4K model (has a few more features) for my main HD TV and use the HD TV stick in my MH. The 4K model sez will still work on a non 4K TV.
Well guess what got the 4K model and it does most things but doesn't mirror from my S10 using "smart view" to the TV via the 4K fire stick. Did a search and found they took that option out when they came out with the 4K model. There are some third-party mirroring apps but couldn't get one to work.
Sending it back and getting another 1080p HD model.
Buyer beware.
I did all this as I am going through Canada and Alaska and cell service may be limited. I know we should be into nature and not TV but may have some rainy days.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com
31 REPLIES 31

MrWizard
I think wireless charging is slower than wired charging
Check the specs on the phone
A slower charge rate less than the power being used could still allow a discharge

The Usb port on most phones is multi functional
Not just charge & pc data picture transfer, but also video multimedia port
You need the correct adapter cable for HDMI

Screen mirror/casting is the industry response to the power use time constraints of cable connections for video use
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
Afaik all Fire sticks use the HDMI port on the tv for video signal input
And also require a power source to operate

Phones have (1) port for charging/usb/media HDMI

How many movies can you watch via HDMI cable from phone, while charging the phone ? ZeroNot true many phones have wireless charging

How many can you watch until phone battery is dead ??If you place phone on charging pad it will continuously charge and not die.

Where is your TV located, how long of and HDMI cable do you need for the phone to rest in an accessible safe tlocation in your RV ?

And for a society as obsessed with wireless remote control, as Our American society IS, how many times are you willing to reach for the HDMI cable connected phone to pause the movie, while you go for a cold one, the bathroom, or answer that phone call ?

RoyB
No info, IDK I'm not following those development's
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:

All the FireSticks I'm aware of use the HDMI port for power and have no external power source.

I think about the only phones with HDMI are pretty high end phones

How many movies can you watch via HDMI cable from phone, while charging the phone ? Zero

Well, if you have a phone with an HDMI port, it doesn't use the HDMI port for charging so why would it be zero?

How many can you watch until phone battery is dead ??

Where is your TV located, how long of and HDMI cable do you need for the phone to rest in an accessible safe tlocation in your RV ?

And for a society as obsessed with wireless remote control, as Our American society IS, how many times are you willing to reach for the HDMI cable connected phone to pause the movie, while you go for a cold one, the bathroom, or answer that phone call ?

RoyB
I'm not sure I'm getting your point.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

Wizard - Any words of wisdom about the STARLINK BROADBAND service SPACE-X is currently putting up in low Earth orbit...

I am guessing this will be available to use from anywhere in the US including all of our remote OFF-GRID camping spots... ???

Hopefully we will use something like the VERIZON MIFI units to access them and create a local high speed internet hotspot...

Roy Ken

Eventually according to Starlink, service will be available pretty much anywhere in the world there's a clear view of the sky. The user terminal will be about the size of a medium pizza box and use a phased array antenna so no aiming needed. Elon Musk has said the cost will be very competitive with existing services. The short term goal is to have enough satellites in orbit to service at least North America by the end of the year. He's also said the service will very mobile friendly...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MrWizard

How many movies can you watch via HDMI cable from phone, while charging the phone ? Zero

How many can you watch until phone battery is dead ??

RoyB
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Fire stick is a way to connect to the TV without using an HDMI cable."

Doesn't the FireStick use an HDMI port? The one I have does, so I was wondering.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
Fire stick is a way to connect to the TV without using an HDMI cable

Fire stick also allows for more streaming channels
By connecting to the internet

Downloading movies to the phone means you have them on file for when there is No Internet connection available

Wizard - Any words of wisdom about the STARLINK BROADBAND service SPACE-X is currently putting up in low Earth orbit...

I am guessing this will be available to use from anywhere in the US including all of our remote OFF-GRID camping spots... ???

Hopefully we will use something like the VERIZON MIFI units to access them and create a local high speed internet hotspot...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MrWizard
Fire stick is a way to connect to the TV without using an HDMI cable

Fire stick also allows for more streaming channels
By connecting to the internet

Downloading movies to the phone means you have them on file for when there is No Internet connection available
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Doubt if you will ever see 5G at a campsite. It is much shorter range that current 4G, and requires transmitters ever few hundred feet rather than few miles. It will be good for local area sites, such as stores or business offices, but out the the boonies, forget about it. Go out to the internet and read a bit about it. It is going to be nothing but a big bunch of advertising. And yes, it is available in the US now, but very limited locations. Just enough for advertisers to say it is available.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
crcr wrote:
austinjenna wrote:
I got an Amazon fireTV stick and love it as I can now download Netflix and Amazon videos to my Samsung S10 phone and then mirror them to my TV via the fire stick

Why do you have to have a firestick to download them to your phone?
You can just download them right from the app on your phone, then just use an HDMI from the phone to the tv.

^^ Correct. You can download both Netflix and Amazon video content to any smartphone or any tablet for later viewing.

You guys are debating the difference between wired and wireless.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used one of those VERIZON MIFI units to give me a good 200 feet or so WIFI HOT SPOT around my camp site. I used this MIFI unit in a WILSON CRADEL that had an outside antenna with it. This did all of my 2G and 3G connections for all of my various devices... Freed up a lot of things on my off-road camping trips...

Of course with the new cell phones they can do all of this as well..

google images

The upcoming 5G setup with all of it super high speed is gonna do great for we campers as well...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I think you missed that the OP does that but uses the Firestick to mirror his phone to his TV.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
I got an Amazon fireTV stick and love it as I can now download Netflix and Amazon videos to my Samsung S10 phone and then mirror them to my TV via the fire stick

You can just download them right from the app on your phone, then just use an HDMI from the phone to the tv.

^^ Correct. You can download both Netflix and Amazon video content to any smartphone or any tablet for later viewing.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
My Firestick has started locking up the remote - religiously. Happens now about every 3rd day. Extremely annoying.