cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got my Chromecast yesterday

rctour
Explorer
Explorer
For those who don't know what a Google Chromecast is, it's a little HDMI Wi-Fi TV plug in that allows a mini operation of Google TV, it currently only has YouTube, Netflix and Google Chrome. I purchased it to modify my RV bedroom TV into a smart TV. It retails for $35.

Although it's only $35, it's not worth the money. There are several ways to achieve the same trick, and although they may cost slightly more they are easier to install and manipulate. The unit requires a controller of some type, which does not come with the unit. This unit didn't like my laptop but did accept my smart phone after adding the needed apps.

The process is to open the smart phone app like Netflix, then open the movie or program, it downloads to the TV through the Chromecast unit, and then you may watch the desired program on TV. The Wi-Fi setup was not a slam dunk, so to change it each time you travel to a different connections is not practical, unless you use a smart phone hot spot or tether (not worth the effort)

I think it's too rudimentary and not up to Google's' standard, I'm still waiting for something more seamless.
2017.5 Lance 2295
2021 Silverado Duramax
23 REPLIES 23

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
With the Chromecast and a IPhone or IPad. Once you start watching a movie.
The IPhone and IPad are still usable for anything else.

Works the same with Android phones & tablets.

Unfortunately, Windows devices can only mirror a tab in the Chrome browser to the Chromecast which means the Chromecast will only display what is currently shown in the browser tab.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:

As stated above I can turn off my phone, pull the battery or even leave home with the phone and the program continues.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I would give it a little more than one day before judging. You can drag almost any format video to the address on the Google Chrome browser and see what you can see on your computer. The only thing I have found that will not work is sending a DVD signal from the computer to the tv, unless you want to go to the trouble of ripping it first.

It is true that, if you have a Smart tv it is of little help unless you want to project from the smart phone without mirroring the phone.

With the smart phone you can begin Chrome casting a program on Netflix, Amazon, etc. and it will continue to show even if you turn off the smart phone. Once the program begins the Chrome Caster will continue to communicate with your router, even if you shut down the phone.

I paid $25 on Groupon and it is worth it to me for the money, even though I have since bought a Samsung Smart tv.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted

5er4ever
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
I have one in on our BR TV in the S&B.
I love it. I like to look up and watch old movies and TV programs on Youtube.
To me worth every penny.

Agreed.

I bought 3. Gave 1 to my son and another to my brother.

We use ours (2 lcd's not smart) to look up and watch old things like Barney Fife or old westerns etc.... Happy, easy to use and has never ben a problem.

My son uses his with his 60" smart TV and Netflix.
DIL uses it to watch her shows on youtube.
Bro uses his from a smart phone and his computers.

It is not a be all and end all. Just compliments what you have and helps to fill a void.

Looking forward to any new Apps and streaming uses.

I had to get all 3 shipped to Canada because they were not sold here until recently.

my ,02
Donโ€™t bother me. Iโ€™m living happily ever after. ๐Ÿ˜‰

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
1492 wrote:
Tell us where we can get a smart TV for the price of a Chromecast for $35, or in my case, a Fire TV stick for $40?

Google Raspberry Pi.. This is a small computer, runs around 25 bucks as I recall, You add the basic operating system and it will let you surf the web, Net-Flix, You-Tube and so on just fine, You do have to add a Keyboard and mouse (Wireless is nice)

NO restrictions on what you can stream to it. I hope to get one and set it up here some day (It is, after all, a full blown linux box), but have yet to get started in that area.

The major differnce is I have a lot of MP2 files here (Over 400 hours worth) Chromecast can not, at this time, display them,, the pi can. With the proper codecs, which I am fairly sure are out there.

(Of course I can convert 'em to MP4 easily enough)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I have one in on our BR TV in the S&B.
I love it. I like to look up and watch old movies and TV programs on Youtube.
To me worth every penny.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Chromecast is fine if you don't have any other way to get on the 'net. I use a blue ray DVD player.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The biggest dissappointment for me is that it does not stream all content to the TV from my Smart Phone.. ONLY selected aps can stream to it.

On the other hand.. one of those aps is very much something I want to stream with and does a great job.

The other shows I wish to stream.. Well I tap a button or two on the TV's remote and they stream off the computer near it. DIRECTLY.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Chromecast! Don't understand your problem. I use my Galaxy Nexus as a hotspot and send Netflix (I have unlimited data) and screen pictures to my TV.

I also have Wilson Sleek and usually keep the phone in its cradle. I put a Wilson Trucker antenna attached to my crank up TV antenna and ALWAYS get good enough 4G signal for pause free movies etc.

I would never rely on WiFi from the campground and its not fare to other campers to choke up the campgrounds net with movies anyway.

I'm probably going to get a second Chromecast for our smaller TV in the bedroom.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Plugged mine in and it works great. No controller? Use your phone or get the Cast extension for Chrome and use your PC. For a measly 35 bucks I think it's pretty cool. Different strokes I guess...

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Roku device is much better. Does not need the controller, just works off your wi-fi signal.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
No problem with mine. We use Netflix and Hulu without any issues. Any program you can find on the internet can be streamed via the chromcast on the computer. I dropped Dish for almost $100 per month and use over the air and hulu/netflix for $15 per month and couldn't be happier.