cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Head Up Display - Best HUD app

RDalr
Explorer
Explorer
I recently acquired a HUD device to be used with an android smart phone. I downloaded a few android apps which work fine. I am curious to see which app HUD users prefer. Which app offers the best interface? Is there a HUD app out there deemed to be the cadillac of all HUD apps? I wouldn't mind paying extra to get it!
Thanking you in advance.

RDalr

30 REPLIES 30

MrWizard
i dont have a 'HUD'
but having your speed, navigation, or other gauges in front of you, but not blocking sight
means moving your eyes 'off the road less'

we all check our gauges, and check speed while driving, less we overheat or get a ticket etc..

properly placed it is NO way like a cell phone, that i can tell

lets keep this civil

those that want to 'debate' distraction start another thread
i'll monitor how civil you can keep that thread
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
That is very similar to what I have and as I said I can move that display up/down and change the intensity. Once you get familiar with the HUGE amount of information there (including a little turn arrow based on your NAV track so you don't even have to look at your normal car display) IMO it makes overall driving much safer for everyone. Those like fj12ryder that have absolutely no idea how these things work and unfortunately like express factless opinions that are very unhelpful and totally off base.:h:S His lame comparison to something like a cell phone where you have to actually take you eyes off the road and concentrate on interacting with something in your hand just demonstrates IMO his total lack of understanding what reasonably designed HUDS are all about.

Larry
Perhaps you shouldn't be using that since it's seems like you can't understand the written word very well. I compared the HUD to a cell phone only in that it is a distraction. Ever watch these yahoos text? They put that phone right there at the top of their steering wheel so they don't have to look down. They just refocus from the view ahead to the view on their phone, kind of like refocusing on the HUD. Since they don't have to look down it must be much safer, right? Well, maybe not.

I guess if you don't like the message, you attack the messenger. It's seems to be the only way to "defend" your view.

Well all I can say it that IMO there is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON between a typical HUD display in a car and anything to do with a cell phone whether it's texting or even making a simple call. I don't text, but think that is the ultimate distraction and orders of magnitude more distracting than even making a simple cell phone call using preset numbers ... i.e. not having to actually use a keypad to dial the number being called. In fact I have the full "hands free" system in my Genesis with call/end buttons on the steering wheel and to make a call all I do is hit the call button on the steering wheel and then hit the "favs" on my Nav screen followed by pushing the number I want. This very simple operation is multiples more distracting than monitoring the HUD display in my car since I have to glace for the call/end button and then twice to select the favs, number selections on my Nav screen each requiring me to take my eyes away from the windshield area. You believe otherwise and since you obviously have ZERO experience comparing the two in actual use I'm not sure I could say anything to change your mistaken impressions.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
LarryJM wrote:
That is very similar to what I have and as I said I can move that display up/down and change the intensity. Once you get familiar with the HUGE amount of information there (including a little turn arrow based on your NAV track so you don't even have to look at your normal car display) IMO it makes overall driving much safer for everyone. Those like fj12ryder that have absolutely no idea how these things work and unfortunately like express factless opinions that are very unhelpful and totally off base.:h:S His lame comparison to something like a cell phone where you have to actually take you eyes off the road and concentrate on interacting with something in your hand just demonstrates IMO his total lack of understanding what reasonably designed HUDS are all about.

Larry
Perhaps you shouldn't be using that since it's seems like you can't understand the written word very well. I compared the HUD to a cell phone only in that it is a distraction. Ever watch these yahoos text? They put that phone right there at the top of their steering wheel so they don't have to look down. They just refocus from the view ahead to the view on their phone, kind of like refocusing on the HUD. Since they don't have to look down it must be much safer, right? Well, maybe not.

I guess if you don't like the message, you attack the messenger. It's seems to be the only way to "defend" your view.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
shastagary wrote:
so what is so distracting and dangerous about seeing this hud display rather than taking your eyes off the road to check your speed or your gps i think this is much safer you can see the road and see how fast your going where your next turn is all without looking away from the road.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
shastagary wrote:
so what is so distracting and dangerous about seeing this hud display rather than taking your eyes off the road to check your speed or your gps i think this is much safer you can see the road and see how fast your going where your next turn is all without looking away from the road.
That actually doesn't look too bad. That's looked pretty small and unobtrusive. Something like that might work. At least until they decide you need everything up there including radio station information.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RDalr
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
shastagary wrote:
Thank you. I've been trying to figure out a way to post this and get the point across. You did it perfectly.

Dave

Well put, I fully agree with you.

RDalr

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
Thank you. I've been trying to figure out a way to post this and get the point across. You did it perfectly.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
jim1521 wrote:
That makes no sense. None of the people around him know what his driving skills are like - or anything else for that matter. All you'll get from those people are OPINIONS.

If he's breaking the law that's one thing. If it's someone's OPINION that he's a risk, that's entirely another. Should we ask someone who's eating a sandwich, or drinking a cup of coffee, or picking their nose, or any other form of distraction as well if they're a risk?
No sense? Quite the opposite, too many people using cell phones or other distracting gadgets are sure they're doing very well with their driving. Ask the other people around him that have had to move out of his way, avoid his sudden partial lane changes, or have had to wait for him to notice that the light has changed. Being on a motorcycle makes a person very aware of the distracted driving going on.

I hear it a lot: "I've never had any problems", but the people around you sure have.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RDalr
Explorer
Explorer
For shastagary
In response to your question, yes it is a glass type similar to your link. Mine sits lower and my line of sight to the road in front of me is well above the hud display. As you have indicated, there are dozens of apps out there and most of them are free. It looks like the app called NAVMII may be one of the better ones. I am still looking.

RDalr

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
I really like the factory HUD system in my Genesis car. It's position can be adjusted up and down, the intensity changed and even can have different color schemes. I don't find it distracting at all and extremely usefull way to display and monitor all the complex technologies in my car.

Larry
You may feel this way, but the only way to know for sure is to see how the people around you feel. Ask some cell phone operators and texters if they feel they are a danger to other drivers/pedestrians.

That makes no sense. None of the people around him know what his driving skills are like - or anything else for that matter. All you'll get from those people are OPINIONS.

If he's breaking the law that's one thing. If it's someone's OPINION that he's a risk, that's entirely another. Should we ask someone who's eating a sandwich, or drinking a cup of coffee, or picking their nose, or any other form of distraction as well if they're a risk?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
LarryJM wrote:
I really like the factory HUD system in my Genesis car. It's position can be adjusted up and down, the intensity changed and even can have different color schemes. I don't find it distracting at all and extremely usefull way to display and monitor all the complex technologies in my car.

Larry
You may feel this way, but the only way to know for sure is to see how the people around you feel. Ask some cell phone operators and texters if they feel they are a danger to other drivers/pedestrians.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II

Larry

MrWizard
that should have been shown from the drivers point of view
showing it from the center of the car, and placing it in the center point of view, made it anoying, i know thats NOT how the driver saw it
thats NOT how i would want to see
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s