cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help understand what's going on with emails

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I often get emails with jibberish below and have no idea why or what they mean. Am I the only one seeing this junk?

2mx47uzqboak3t9nilcyUHJGMCZQXEyTZ5k-8?B?cA==?==?92v7crtv04lnis61oqufgx83hjBTXZUAOIKE8bH5q-8?B?YQ==?==?3s5htnvfraudj4ok29q6YHOLTGBZRNdU29M-8?B?bA==?==?5hqxp47iegbzndkf28aoFRLBOQAWYIq4boj-8?B?LQ==?==?x4gzvosf6q38yd57itkbBRVDSIZLQF6CSWx-8?B?Yw==?==?3e8hnt6oz42gjlpxi5kwDBIORJAYHLmhsPl-8?B?bA==?==?mlgwr3daxevfqyk9obpnGMXLUOCFVSTGa7Q-8?B?ZQ==?==?f21cu8xir90ml4d65ys7UNEIJVAFQPwv14r-8?B?YQ==?==?xaq0zfd2kgo6j7vsr913YNABSOGRPMQftoO-8?B?cg==?==?zhs35deu21yrvjx0ago7GZAVCONSUX6A8LW-8?B?IA==?==?jbe0fwla4sxi6mKHSRZPTOAGa4JuG-8?B?aQ==?==?8uwt9jxv2oyz3dnif6klNSXKLTWJIUNsydn-8?B?Yw==?==?
At the bottom they say something like:
"TheMostPowerfulMonocularTelescope?"
9 REPLIES 9

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I would never think of clicking on one of these. They're immediately deleted. I was just curious, because they keep coming.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
From Google, "When you get a message, Gmail tries to guess what encoding the sender used so it can properly open and display the message. If Gmail guesses wrong, you usually end up with a screen of gibberish because the message wasn't translated properly from one encoding to the other" I suppose the other email clients would do the same. Strange things happen on the computer. :h
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I read my emails from the providers server. This generally should avoid nefarious email content.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually the jibberish occurs because the originating message is using characters/images that are not known to your email system.

Remember that messages are sent electronically, so an image or character gets converted to binary for the transmission and then is translated back into the image/character at your end. In these cases, the translation doesn't happen.

The main thing is that a legitimate email message will not contain just gibberish. So if you get one with gibberish, you can be certain it's spam.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed. Looks like a photo, possibly with a link, that your email carrier has decided is spam and has rendered it innocuous.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds to me like that's a photo or a virus (Without analysys I can't tell which) As someone said,,,,, Report as spam
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
mikestock wrote:
I do all the above and I never click on an email when I don't recognize the sender. I just don't understand the purpose of the jibberish and why anyone would bother to send it. This happens a lot and for a long time.

The purpose is to get you to click on a link. A myriad of things can happen after that.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I do all the above and I never click on an email when I don't recognize the sender. I just don't understand the purpose of the jibberish and why anyone would bother to send it. This happens a lot and for a long time.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I report them as spam, I don't open any emails that I don't know the sender.
Just like I don't answer calls on my house phone, if I don't recognize the caller, especially the ones that come up as "Unknown", or "Unavailable", if they're unavailable, so am I.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund